Metallic sounds in BC town freak people out (UPDATE: Horn of Gondor, etc.)

And… here we go again…

Strange sounds in Terrace, B.C., spark stranger theories – British Columbia – CBC News.

Some people in Terrace, B.C., say they were awoken Thursday morning by some strange, whining and grinding noises echoing off nearby hills for several minutes, prompting a wide range of speculation online about the source.

At least three different people recorded the phenomenon, including Kimberley Wookey, who posted a video on YouTube.

Here is her video (turn the volume down, it’s LOUD)

Definitely metallic.

On Friday afternoon city spokesperson Alisa Thompson said she had a simpler explanation — it was a city worker grinding down the blade on a grader.

“The video, the YouTube video, is actually right around the corner from the arena, and that’s where our employee was doing the straightening.”

People hear these sound amplified due to cloud cover or because it’s nearby. They are also primed to hear these noises and interpret them as something sinister thanks to MUCH mystery mongering on the internet. But our industrial world is FULL of sounds. Yes, it’s strange and annoying but it’s not paranormal. People might pause before making EVERY freakin’ thing about the Apocalypse.

This went around to various paranormal sites as “Holy Shit, they’re back”. No. Calm the f**k down, people. The modern world is a noisy place.

UPDATE (31-Aug-2013) This is getting major coverage on Canada TV. Checking on Twitter, the mystery mongers are out in force saying it’s apocalyptic. Here are some other suggestions I found:

• “trumpets of Biblical proportions”
  • electromagnetic sounds
  • HAARP (not active)
  • aliens
  • Horn of Gondor (my favorite)
  • train brakes

and regarding the last one – check out THIS video and don’t tell me this doesn’t happen.

I get really irked at “paranormal” sites and twitter accounts who push ridiculous explanations and scare people. People really do believe these crazy explanations and those who push them on purpose are pretty scummy.

Addition: I updated and rewrote this piece that used to be up on another site that has since dived deep into woo-woo. Now it brings in the new stories.

14 comments for “Metallic sounds in BC town freak people out (UPDATE: Horn of Gondor, etc.)

1. ARamone
    August 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Whining sounds recorded by someone named ‘Wookey’? Sometimes the jokes just write themselves.

2. August 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Godzilla????

3. Klaus
    August 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

You don’t have a clue what you are talking about. Thousands of people heard these sounds. I live in the bush far out of town where moose and bear roam. There is no industrial activity here. Yet the noise was so loud it woke me up.

• August 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Klaus: Then why is the municipality and newspaper reporting this? Take it up with them. It is a reasonable explanation. Why should I believe you instead?

4. Klaus
    August 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

And yes, Kimberley Wookey is her real name. You can look up the name Wookey in the phone directory.

5. August 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I know from experience that sounds can sound very strange due to echoes, as well as expectations. We were staying at a campground, but I got very little sleep. All night what sounded like fireworks kept waking me up. I asked the forest service guy the next morning and he was very puzzled. There were no fireworks, After I described the noises in detail, he finally figured out that the “explosions” were from the quarry across the road – the rock being poured into the trucks was extremely loud. We promptly moved to a campground with no nearby quarry.

• August 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Bonnie: I live uphill from a train transfer station. On some nights it is CRAZY loud booms as the cars and cargo are removed and placed on. Other nights, nothing unusual. Atmospheric conditions, as mentioned in the piece, do have a lot to do with it. Certain layers can reflect sound back down to the ground.

6. Bob
    August 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Clearly it is the mating call of a diplodocus, you charlatans.

7. Michael
    August 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Google maps shows a train yard in town near the Best Western Plus Inn.

8. August 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I had read somewhere that some of these sounds could be traced to a church (cult) in Indiana, I believe. The church leader was making videos with the ‘heavenly’ sounds to help spread his message that the end is near/here. I will see if I can find a link to the article I read.

9. Klaus
    August 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Hi idoubtit,
    believe whatever you want, doubt whatever you like. I know for a fact that this was not a train or a grader. I have lived here for 20+ years and I know how the various sounds coming from town sound like: they are muffled. This sound that Kimberley recorded did not come from the direction of the town; it was everywhere. Also, the weird sounds were heard from Kitsumkalum west of Terrace to Gitaus east of Terrace, spanning a distance of 20 km. Do a search at Youtube for “strange sounds” and you will find recordings of similar sounds from around the world.

• September 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Klaus: Yeah, I kind of researched that whole topic just a bit…

Whenever anyone says “I know for a fact”, I have to walk away. Conversation is pointless on figuring out what really happened after that.

10. M.R. Lambert
    September 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Cloud cover can cause all sorts of noise and over-pressure problems which can distort sounds and their directions. Besides, I hardly think sounds of the Apocalypse would start in Terrace, BC. However, perhaps Gondor is in need of help…….

11. September 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

“Whenever anyone says “I know for a fact”, I have to walk away. ”

I know for a fact that I love that comment ! :)