Alien head found in graveyard in Croatia

Is this a joke?

Mayor baffled by buried ‘alien head’ | Orange UK.

A baffled mayor has asked scientists to examine the remains of what be believes to be the head of an alien dug up by workers in a graveyard in Croatia.

The twisted, soft-bodied remains – which seems to have a beak-like mouth in the centre – were unearthed in Medjimurje where gardeners were extending the local cemetery.

Mayor Ivan Stefic, seen here holding the head, explained: “It was found about one metre under the surface and gave the workers quite a shock.”

“I know it sounds crazy, but we can’t think of any more rational explanation for what we’ve found,” he added.

Wait, a buried alien head is a “rational explanation”? It’s ridiculous! This looks like an oddly shaped tree part. The bark could have become soft from the burial. Wood should be easy to discern from other substances like rock and bone. But no one seems to have thought about that. An “alien head” is too stupid good of a story.

alien head tree root

Give me a break

Regardless, it’s a neat object. Driftwood, smoothed into strange shape by wave and sand action also makes for interesting objects.

Close up of driftwood

Close up of driftwood

9 comments for “Alien head found in graveyard in Croatia

1. Chris Howard
    August 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Maybe it’s from France, or Portugal? It would technically then be “alien”

Sorry, that’s all I’ve got tonight.

2. Massachusetts
    August 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

It’s a sneaky trick. You look at it, get caught up in the swirly pattern, fall into a hypnotic state, and then you are given the suggestion to come visit this town in croatia and spend lots of money on touristy items. Briliant! Evil, but brilliant!

3. August 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM

If I found what I suspected to be a decomposing alien head, I’d certainly fondle it with my bare hands like Mayor Ivan. He had me at “I know it sounds crazy…”

4. Chris
    August 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Sometimes only the hardest part of wood remains after being beaten by water and sand, usually the area near branches (knots). A park ranger on the Olympic Peninsula told us that the well worn knot the kids found is called a “Dragon Tooth.” Unfortunately I tried to confirm this online and only came across small craft company names who made things with this old wood.

I did find this explanation on a less mythical name: “River Teeth.”

The piece of wood our kids found fifteen years ago is still in my garden. And it does look more like a large tooth than an alien head.

5. Eisbein
    August 20, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I don’t think its the head. I think its the other end!
    What it really looks like to me is a fungus that grows on trees. The name escapes me right now.

6. August 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

well my first thought was curiously shaped tree knot, my second thought is Jabba the Hut, my third thought was does this meet the above criteria of worthwhile….probably not ….but they are amongst the tops thoughts for my day

7. LREKing
    August 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM

The combined mental might of this town couldn’t come up with anything more rational?

Jebus wept.

8. eddi
    August 21, 2013 at 3:39 AM

@ Eisbein
    Shelf fungus or Bracket fungus? Personally, I like “Cthulhu coprolite”.

9. Andrew
    August 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Note that we are only seeing the ‘good side’ that looks like a face. From what little I can see of the other side I don’t think it has quite as nice an ‘eye socket’. You’d think that would give people pause in concluding it’s a head.