Was the Zimmerman crash rescue staged? Many questions…

After George Zimmerman was cleared of the charges for the shooting death of a black youth, seventeen year old Trayvon Martin, in Florida in 2012.

The verdict didn’t go over well. Then things got weird.

Days later, Zimmerman was back in the news regarding a story that he had rescued people from a car crash. As Addicting Info notes: PR stunt or dumb luck?

The buzz is growing on this story and it’s time we put it up here on DN.

Huge thanks to reader Nathan Reese who contributed this piece and provides us with more info on this questionable claim.

More Evidence To Suggest Zimmerman Car Crash Rescue Was Staged Emerges -.

According to FreakOut Nation, Redher was a vocal pro- Zimmerman voice on Facebook, but that Facebook account has now conveniently disappeared. Further, according to Newsball, Officer Redher had contact with Zimmerman prior to his showing up at the scene of the accident. Redher’s phone records back this claim up, lending more credibility to the school of thought that, with a lot of help, Zimmerman has made himself look like some kind of good samaritan here, when he really is a conniving, sneaky, underhanded man with a Hero complex and inability to accept the fact that he is not an officer of the law.

That’s not all, though. The social media presences of the supposed victims is now suddenly nil. The email addresses of the couple, Mark C. Gerstle and Dana Gerstle link to no known social media accounts. Dana Gerstle’s twitter is still active, and is the only online mention of a car crash at all.

Perhaps most damning of all is the fact that Mark Gerstle, when accosted by media near his home, could be heard shouting belligerently:

Go away. I’ve got nothing to say.

Dana Gerstle also ignored requests for hospital records and photos of the crash. These all seem non existent, which is unheard of in this age of camera phones with recording capabilities.

Nathan writes:
The author has some valid questions, although not having an explanation doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a conspiracy behind it. Some of the basic points that were made, that I think are at least worth investigating are:

There were no witnesses to the crash.

No pictures of the crash have surfaced. This is possible, though you would think someone would have taken a picture, and that it would be needed for insurance purposes.

There were 4 people in the car, which rolled over, and there were no injuries.

Allegedly, someone obtained phone records that show George Zimmerman received a text from Officer Rehder right after the crash was called in. I am not sure if this has been confirmed.

The officer was friends with the driver of the SUV (Mark Gerstle), and was also very outspoken in favor of George Zimmerman during the trial. Obviously, this is circumstantial, and it could really just be a coincidence, especially if they all lived in the same town.

The driver of the SUV was scheduled to talk to the media and backed out. Again, only circumstantial, but worth noting with all of the other information. He claims that he will receive harassment by saying good things about Zimmerman.

This site has some screenshots of the twitter and Facebook accounts of the Officer before he deleted them both.

If a major news outlet can confirm the phone records, that would raise the possibility of some sort of setup. I would also be interested to hear from the other man that helped them out, and from the 2 people who talked to 911. There’s still the problem of how they would stage a crash. Surely they wouldn’t flip a car on purpose with a family in it, and surely a police officer wouldn’t tip Zimmerman off to a real car crash and risk the lives of actual victims.

This is suspicious and there are many questions… many questions.

(Thanks, Nathan!)

19 comments for “Was the Zimmerman crash rescue staged? Many questions…

1. July 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM

It was definitely not staged. I have known Mark since growing up together in Buffalo. His sister lives across the street from my mother in Buffalo and said that the family is being besieged by media. Mark is a pharmacist at Walgreen’s and the media are swamping the parking lot there.

2. Chris Howard
    July 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I had heard that the officer in question texted Zimmerman during the accident, and that Zimmerman arrived after the incident had occurred. In essence, an attempted photo op.

Of course it’s entirely hear say, so…

3. July 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

The good thing was that since GZ was being escorted by police in response to death threats, they were right on the scene and are the real reason the family was saved from harm.

Now, Mark and his family are receiving death threats from people who think he’s helping GZ out and staged this. Sick people. Sick. Sick. Sick.

4. RDW
    July 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Slightly off topic, but based on the evidence I saw, I couldn’t have convicted Zimmerman of 2nd degree murder. Manslaughter ??? Maybe. If the case had been argued from the point that Zimmerman should never have been where he was, doing what he was doing. I’d like to point out, as well, that the initial 911 call Zimmerman made was heavily edited and broadcast along with a photo of Martin at 13 years old, not 17. People at that particular TV station were fired over the incident. It’s a shame that the young dude was killed. But I think people are dwelling on the issue too much. In Chicago, in particular, look at how many people were killed or injured by guns since just the beginning of July. Almost all of them were blacks being shot by blacks. I think people ought to give some thought to that. More so than they have been, at least. Consider this : If Zimmerman’s head had struck the pavement once or twice more, Trayvon Martin might have been the one facing murder charges.

5. July 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Salon has picked up the story though they don’t appear to have any new info:

Obviously there isn’t much to go on here. It does seem pretty certain the accident was genuine. The “attempted photo op” hypothesis does seem consistent with Zimmerman’s behavior IMO.

6. July 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I do think I could understand the family in the accident being reluctant to talk to the media. This is nuts, and if people think they staged it, they are in for it. Zimmerman may have been fond innocent, but he will be under the media eye for years to come (if not longer). His only supporters are right wing fanatics, and honestly, that will only last until the next media darling for their group to support comes along.

7. Bob
    July 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM

I’ve suspended my judgment so far. It smells so, so fishy, but I’m sure that’s influenced by my rather low opinion of Zimmerman. Until someone can actually produce, say, those texts, I’m going to remain agnostic.

8. July 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I agree that reluctance to talk to media is irrelevant and proves nothing. I probably wouldn’t talk to the media either, and probably would not even be on facebook if it were completely my choice (long and irrelevant story, but I hate facebook and most social media, so I can relate).

I doubt it’s staged, but that’s part of being a skeptic. If there’s better evidence, I might change my opinion.

9. Brian
    July 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Knowing what I do about the cops and local govt in this area, and yes, it is first hand experience… I’d say that this whole thing stinks like fish left on hot asphalt for 2 days. The cops around here are far too buddy buddy with certain people, and have shown themselves to be far less than trustworthy. The fact that there is a cop who *is* friends with him and so publicly yet- sets off alarm bells.

What also is setting off alarm bells- I have found 2 accounts of this happening at 2 different locations from the news sources- one says 417, and I 4, and the one with the cops’ deleted stuff says route 46 and I 4! Now, unless these people are clones, and there’s 2 crashes…. 417 and 46 do NOT even come close to each other! 417 is down by Disney, 46 is up by Sanford. So… which one is it? (not to mention… if the reports cannot get the location right… there’s something damn fishy right there).

Also… why would a cop, a) be publicly friends with someone in this situation (conflict of interest), and then b) after this event, delete everything from facebook, etc? Has anyone looked up the police blotters for the date? Oh, and BTW- if it *is* 417 and I 4, what the hell was this cop doing down there (who lives in lake mary, and is a SEMINOLE county officer), doing down in ORANGE county? *holds nose* And just “happens” across this accident with GZ ‘conveniently’ close by….

This thing has more holes than a swiss cheese.

10. spookyparadigm
    July 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM

RDW, the “his picture was at 13″ is another right wing lie.

11. July 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

This is a great lesson for reminding people and websites to know and consider your sources! All of the sites running this story cite Newsball.Com as the original and main contributing source. I would question any piece of information presented in an “investigate report” that concluded with the statement, “We are glad to have played our role in stripping George Zimmerman from salvaging even a shred of humanity to his name – he is a sex offender, a bully, & a killer.” Bias much?

Newsball.Com presents no credible evidence to back up their claim and “investigative reporting,” save for the fact that several people connected to the car crash have deleted or hidden their social media profiles.

12. Gary
    July 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

@Geoff,
    Has he told you how he managed to flip the car? How did they do that with no injuries? I read that it was Zimmerman and another man who helped them out (rescued sounds like too strong a word since they were not injured). Was that the police escort? How many officers were guarding him at the time?

13. July 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

The car slid off an cloverleaf loop on hot asphalt. It wasn’t flipping. It rolled over. The family were wearing their seatbelts. SUVs are pretty safe. They didn’t have so much as a scratch.

• Gary
      July 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Vehicles that easily roll over are not “pretty safe”. You can call it “rolling” instead of “flipping” if you want, but it still ended up upside down, or was it on it’s side? Pretty hard to believe that even with seatbelts and airbags that the occupants didn’t get banged up. Did it have side airbags?

What about that escort and the other man at the scene?

14. Brian
    July 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

*goes to the police blotter for info*

Guess what. I cannot find anything in the official police blotter for an accident of any sort at or around that area, on the dates of July 17- 18.

15. steve
    July 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Well….I can make only one contribution: about the car flip and no injury. Two years ago I flipped my car while driving to work. Hit an ice patch, slid into the embankment which flipped the car, then slid about 90 feet on my roof. I had my seat belt on and did not have so much as a scratch. A little sore the next day where the seat belt held me up, but no visible injury.
    So I can easily believe that if they just rolled the SUV over, were not going too fast, and had seatbelts on, that they had no injuries.

• July 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

This was many years ago when I was on a Geology field trip on college. We were in Baja California in the willderness, driving on dirt roads after a rainy season that had washed out bridges along our route. One of our vehicles, not as big as a modern SUV, flipped over into a ditch when the road collapsed under it. No one was hurt. The driver described the incident as follows: the car was bouncing up and down and then it bounced up… and it felt like it never came down.

Everyone had their seatbelts on, and because it happened in the middle of nowhere, we spent the whole next day digging the car out of the ditch and trying to get it right-side up.

So in my experience, it’s very possible for a car to turn over without causing any injuries. In our case, no one was even slightly banged up. If someone hadn’t had their seatbelt on, that person would likely have been injured. Granted that this was a special case — because we were on unpaved dirt roads, no one was driving all that fast.

Also, I’ve seen a car flip over onto its side in the middle of winter when an indecisive driver ahead of me couldn’t make up his mind which side of a split in the road he was supposed to be on, and ended up kind of in the middle. One side of the car was lifted up as it went over a snow bank, and the car flipped over and ended up upside down. Would have been worse had the car behind him not been able to break in time to avoid hitting him. Apparently, no one was seriously injured, but people were likely banged up in that particular case.

16. July 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Gary…lots of vehicles, regardless of whether it’s “pretty safe”, “super safe”, or “unsafe at any speed” are going to roll over when they go off an embankment. I don’t know what to tell you regarding any “other man at the scene” since I was not there. All I can tell you is what Mark’s sister told me: he slip off the road, the car rolled over, the first person Mark saw was Zimmerman, and Zimmerman’s police escort was there immediately as well.

17. July 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Personally, I abhor the vigilante/parapolice mindset that our society is trending toward and think that it may cause more harm than good.

Here’s what I think happened. The news leaked and the Zimmerman apologists at Fox, Drudge, and their ilk trumped up his involvement to bolster his rep. When inconsistencies in this pimped story emerge, the other side reacts and assumes everything is false. Neither side is right. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Zimmerman, while maybe not a “hero” in this case, was probably acting as a good citizen in this case.