Poundland will stop selling Chinese lanterns after one, not sold by the company, sparked a huge fire.
More than 200 firefighters attended a blaze involving 100,000 tonnes of plastic in Smethwick in the West Midlands on Sunday.
“We have made a decision to stop selling lanterns and recalled all remaining stock from stores,” a Poundland spokesperson said.
The government has refused to ban the lanterns nationwide.
Not only do they spark fires but they are likely a very high cause of UFO reports.
I do hope that this ban will follow in the U.S. since areas of the US are highly prone to fires especially in the summer months when these devices are released as part of weddings or other celebrations. Floating fire is a pretty thing but kind of a bad idea these days.