Lorraine Warren says she’s never going back to the Amityville

Good reviews are coming out for The Conjuring, a new movie based on a “real” paranormal case investigated by Ed and Lorraine Warren. Lorraine is still with us, still guesting on TV shows and making appearances as demonologists are popular folks these days.

Ghost Hunter Lorraine Warren On the Haunted House She Won’t Revisit.

At “The Conjuring” press junket in San Francisco, Yahoo! Movies recently had the chance to speak with Lorraine Warren, now 86. We asked Warren how the 1971 case of the Perron family in Harrisville, Rhode Island, which inspired “The Conjuring,” compares with the horror that the Lutz family experienced in Amityville, New York back in the mid ’70s.

“Amityville was horrible, honey. It was absolutely horrible,” she said. “It followed us right straight across the country. I don’t even like to talk about it. I will never go in the Amityville house ever again. You don’t know how long my career is; that’s the only one.”

“You need proof. That’s what you have to have. You can’t tell ghost stories,” Lorraine Warren told us.

Funny that she’d say that, as the Amityville story has been fairly well established to be a hoax. And there has been several residents of the house after the Lutz’, none of whom has experienced any paranormal activity. What is her evidence? It’s not very impressive.

Many around me are saying they very much want to check out The Conjuring, hoping for a good movie. But, they are concerned that that portrayal of events as “real” are damaging and give the Warrens credibility. Lorraine still is respected in the paranormal community as an icon but the skeptical community finds the Warren’s investigation skills,  conclusions and reputation sorely lacking, especially after such a silly comment as this – still clinging to the idea the Amityville was an actual demon-haunted house.

Tip: Russell G.

Addition: Demonologist Lorraine Warren Discusses New Movie ‘The Conjuring’ Exorcism and Faith.

9 comments for “Lorraine Warren says she’s never going back to the Amityville

1. Chris Howard
    July 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I love a good ghost story, especially an M R James style antiquary ghost tale.

I’m excited about the film just from the ghost story perspective. It looks to be a lot more psychological/thriller driven than O.T.T. CGI gorefests.

2. July 15, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Many people who tell ‘stories’, for long enough, come to believe those stories themselves.

3. July 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM

As ever, I recommend MonsterTalk; the August 10th edition here tells you an awful lot. The frightening bit isn’t the poltergeists but the Warrens. http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/episodes2011.html

4. July 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Now where would she go back to anyway? The actual house which I’ve heard has been moved to another location or the lot where the house originally was? And how do the ghosts & demons know which to haunt?

5. Brendan Lawrence
    July 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I am interested in seeing how and where it was well established the Amityville haunting was a hoax.

6. July 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

@Brendan Lawrence

You could start here. http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4020

7. Brendan Lawrence
    July 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM

@ Rich – interesting article. I keep in mind that two sources the author used were from Stephen Kaplan and Ric Osuna, both individuals who have had ulterior motives and who both had a falling out with George Lutz. We have to keep in mind the motives of both sides of the argument and where these motives originated from.

8. Massachusetts
    August 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Has there been a good skeptical analysis of the story behind The Conjuring? Has anything been definitively refuted or debunked? It would be interesting to read that article. Everything I see is basically saying it’s a true story and the Perron family concurs.

9. L.C.
    January 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I have been reading a lot about this whole Amityville horror stuff and the credibility of Loraine and Ed Warren and I’m utterly confused. One, by how to prove if it is in fact fake or fiction, and two, by the ridiculous controversy over the whole thing. First of all, coming from someone who knows a lot of people that work in media, most of what you see on TV (unfortunately) is false. Not to say that Loraine is full of it, the fact is that you don’t truly know. I believe that there are paranormal things out there. Truth will forever be stranger then fiction. But I also believe that a lot of people will do anything for an extra buck.

I believe the real controversy should be, is this paranormal stuff actually happening to people? If it is, what does that mean? What is the real truth? Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, and stay open minded.