Latest weird photo: Baby with ghost background

I normally don’t link to reddit but I’d like some thoughts on this one.

My auntie has just taken a picture of her son after his bath. They were the only two people in the house at the time. A strange figure with a weird shaped hand has appeared in the background and we are all baffled. : Paranormal.

Just to clear a few things up:
She was holding him with one arm and taking the picture with the other.
There is no mirror behind them.
If somebody stood there of that height they would have to crouch because the ceiling isn’t tall enough.
Any insight is welcome.
Edit: It turns out the ceiling isn’t low above the toilet.

Here is the picture.
baby background

There is also a picture of the toilet which shows there is no room for anyone to stand there. So, something is up with this picture. The options always may be hoax but also manipulation, camera malfunction, mirror, misidentification, and others that we can’t necessarily come with straight away. It may take additional investigation to figure it out such as having the original picture and seeing the exact location. But ideas are welcome. This one is making the rounds. Before we assume “GHOST NURSE”, we should examine things a bit more closely.

19 comments for “Latest weird photo: Baby with ghost background

1. July 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yet another haunted toilet?

I would lean towards camera malfunction as the likely explanation, pending proof to the contrary and reason to suppose otherwise.

2. Richard Cornford
    July 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM

The ‘figure’ in the background is made up of four components; A pink blob in the top left, a white cylinder, a very indistinct and dark ‘right arm’ to the left of the picture and a human (and apparently female) hand and arm. The pink blob looks like it may be the tip of one of the fingers of the hand holding the camera, the white cylinder could be the bottom end of a white towel handing on the wall and the ‘right arm’ could be no more than an odd interaction of light in the shadow/reflection of the towel. So possibly the only thing that is really out of place is the human arm. The pictures of the room don’t show (or are avoiding showing) the wall above the cistern. If there were a window in that wall, and it happened to be open (Summer-time, post bath), then someone reaching in through that window (possibly with nefarious intent) would explain the only real anomaly in that photo. Granted it would be a more credible explanation if that room happened to be on the ground floor of the building.

3. RDW
    July 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Just a guess, but I’d think it were a hoax.

4. Paul
    July 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I looks to me like the “ghost” an baby are well in front of the toilet. The amount of room between the toilet and the wall is immaterial.

5. Flucksy
    July 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Going off what they described the simplest thing I could think is they took a picture but forgot where they did. A brand new family member does stuff like that.

6. Autumn
    July 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I’m looking at the bluish blob in the lower left corner. Compare that to the photo of the toilet. It’s the same color as the wall, but at a different angle, a mirror angle almost. The same for the paint stain on the floor. Something is clearly distorted in the image.

7. July 7, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Seems like a legit explanation to me:

[–]danthemanatee 11 points 3 days ago*

That is a great observation–it looks a lot like a Barbie hand. The weird angle the “demon” arm is coming in at could be explained by how Barbie doll arms bend at the elbows.

EDIT: Coming back to this after not having looked at it for a while, I think Auntie must have been holding a Barbie doll in her right hand while holding baby. She might easily have forgotten doing so later, hence all the wondering over where the person came from.

8. July 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The OP says his aunt has two older daughters who she says were away at the time – if you consider the figure in back as a young girl, wearing a white t-shirt, partially blocked by the aunt’s finger over the lens, it fits quite well – it also seems that aunt and the figure have the same manicure! The most obvious explanation is that it was a photo taken when one of her daughters was in the bathroom and the aunt either took another photo when she was alone and is mistaking which one is which, or she was mistaken as to when the photo was taken.

9. Brian
    July 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM

@rossbalch:

I like the theory, but I have been playing with the photo, and unless the camera was just horribly crummy (and it might be), the blur on several things is ‘funny’. There is something odd about the depth of field that makes me wonder about it being a doll. I don’t have a barbie here, but I want to do a couple test shots with my kid and something similar, using an iPhone. Also… the lighting, if it were a doll- it doesn’t seem to look right, either. You notice the baby’s head has a bright, hard light on it, but the toilet and the figure do not. There should be enough light spill to light that figure up a lot more (reflections from the kid’s head, the towel)- and it seems too diffuse and low, at least to me- if that were a plastic hand.

I am almost ready to call shenanigans on this pic. There’s something that isn’t right besides lighting and focus. There’s a weird distortion in the closest arm I cant figure out.

Here’s what I could get with my struggling kid. She’s at the stage of grabbing everything and wiggling- and I have a bad back. The flower is a little blurry… but not as blurred as that figure in the pic. I am suspicious. I have played with photoshop since it came out on floppies, and something is making me squint at that picture.

Photobucket comparison:

10. July 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The pixels look funny along the left side, of the babies head in the picture. Also the pixels along the right side of the pink blob in the picture. I am not an expert, just getting that out there. However after years of being on the interent and reading a thing or two that may or may not be true… I say it’s image manipulation, and poorly done.

11. Bob
    July 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Doesn’t the left side of the kid’s head look fakey? The border? It looks ‘shopped to me. What a weird hoax though.

• Brian
      July 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

It would explain the weird fuzziness and the completely nutso focusing. The toilet *should* be almost unrecognizable from the amount of depth of field. Yet… the toilet is relatively sharp, and that arm is a fuzzy mess. The red thing, which I am guessing is a shirt, is way, WAY too fuzzy compared to everything else. My eyes still say there is some weird distortion or something else going on, but I am just not sure *what*.

• Brian
      July 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I had a little inspiration. I made a “haunted” pic of myself, using Photoshop CS6. I reduced it for the web, and did all the flattening of the layers and stuff. Have a good look look. I’d say it’s so ambiguous, ya really cant tell! This was a rushed slop job… I didn’t get too fancy, and it’s on purpose. I think that was what was bugging me. You can take 2 highly detailed, multi megapixel pics, and by the time you get done with them- including stripping the pictures down and using pixillation and compression to hide any trouble spots, It’s hard to say what the hell it’s actually a pic of.

I haven’t done a pic like that in some time. I always make them just for fun, tho.

Photobucket madness: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/wylekat/OOO-Scary_zpsf0a8f943.jpg

12. July 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Great call, Richard Cornford, on the pink blob quite possibly being a finger (as opposed to a shirt or part of the ‘ghost’). I agree with those suggesting edges seem blurred and distorted. Depth, distance, sizes of objects and such are indeed difficult to judge.

13. Warren
    July 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Sigh. It’s a drop of water on the lense of the camera. The hand you see is the hand holding the towel the baby is wrapped in. The reason it looks oddly shaped is because it is gripping the towel and is warped by the curvature if the reflection. The other arm is the baby’s head seen over the edge of the towel, the “hand” is just it fading out as the drops distorted reflection blends with the transparent layer. The pink blob is probably the hand holding the camera, distorted in the opposite way.

Once you think of the hand as being the reflection of the left hand holding the baby, the rest is pretty obvious

14. Andrew
    July 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

This whole exercise is silly. I can take and/or manipulate a photo all day long and send it around with some story about where it was taken and be all “oooooo a ghost!” I may be cynical, but I think all of us scrambling to explain it and the other kind of person being impressed and validated is the intent of the fraud who created this.

15. One Eyed Jack
    July 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

@Andrew

Nobody is “scrambling” to explain it. Nobody here thinks it’s a ghost. It’s just a little mental exercise to figure out what may have happened. Lighten up.

16. July 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

@Warren

Hang on… the hand to the left is a reflection of the hand *behind* the baby’s head? If it’s a reflection of a left hand why does it still look like a left hand? Wouldn’t it be a reflection of a right hand? And would a droplet on the lens give an image so in focus?

17. July 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM

@myself

Having read my (now irrevocably public) comment I’m not sure I understand what I’m on about, let alone Warren.

I don’t think a droplet on the lens would account for a hand appearing where it does. The person holding the baby is holding it with their right hand and taking the photo with their left (assuming the whiteness to the right of the photo is a sleeve.) I can’t see how a lens droplet would ‘reflect’ anything in such a way.

It’s interesting that the blueish brownish area to the bottom left has colour and an ‘edge’ similar to the meeting of the floor and the wall in the toilet only photo, although the angles aren’t at all where anything ‘should’ be.