Christian group in India believes Satan worship is growing there

Actually, any story about locals freaked out about fear of Satanists ALWAYS makes me question the claim.

Satan worship worries Christians in Northeast India | Religion News Service.

Christian groups in India’s northeastern state of Nagaland are working to quell the rapid growth of Satanism after reports that thousands of teenagers from churches had taken up devil worship in recent months.

The actual strength of Satan worshippers is difficult to determine, but such groups also exist in Nagaland’s largest city of Dimapur, and they are using social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter to expand their network, said the Rev. Wati Longkumer, director of the Nagaland Missionary Movement, a group of mostly Baptist associations and churches.

Longkumer said he has seen membership forms for a group calling itself the Black Bulls and inviting youngsters to become part of devil worship.

Longkumer’s organization, part of the Nagaland Baptist Church Council, which consists of more than 1,300 churches, has assigned its youth department to conduct a detailed report.

Is there ANY evidence for this other than that sparked by fear and rumor? They “know” they exist because of “membership forms”? Black tee-shirts? Note the line “The actual strength of Satan worshippers is difficult to determine”. Yeah, because evidence for such things is missing because they often only exist in the minds of concerned religious people. Satan worshipping tends to make itself fairly obvious. I am VERY dubious about these claims of rampant Satanism.

8 comments for “Christian group in India believes Satan worship is growing there

1. Brian
    July 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM

“The Rev. Zotuo Kiewhuo, senior pastor of Koinonia Baptist Church in Kohima, said the cult is spreading like “wildfire” due to an identity crisis among the youth of the state plagued with corruption, insurgencies and intratribal conflicts.”

Then why doesn’t the church (who should be doing this anyways) do something about the corruption, etc, and quit wringing their hands in mock anguish? I smell a rat. I think said rat is that this satan group has been created by the church, so they have something to be ‘concerned’ about- mostly because of how open this recruitment is. Why would a group like this have membership forms? How come only this one person has seen the forms? From what I know, which isn’t much, BTW- groups like this find members in secret, and try to stay secret, mostly to avoid articles like this. No one likes an angry religious horde.

“Some of the Christian youth who have renounced Satan worship have told us that they would be called for services after midnight at the Kohima War Cemetery and other locations, and asked to wear black T-shirts and be called by their new nicknames”

Then there should be evidence of that: signs of such a meeting at the cemetery. Someone from the church who has taken pictures, etc. All we have is this guy’s word. And really? Midnight? Someone’s parents would have caught their kid sneaking out and had a word with them. However, this sentence: “parents of numerous youngsters have expressed concerns about their children leaving home around midnight” just screams of something being off a tad. Really? These parents cannot control their children? Not so much as a “you go out, you’ll be grounded till you’re 65″? Like I said… I smell a rat. What parents would stand by helplessly as their kid went off to do something like that?

“The Roman Catholic Church in Nagaland has said it is shocked to learn about the phenomenon and is working with Protestant groups to counter it.” How shocked can it be to have ‘learned’ about it? The catholic kids aren’t doing the same? If one group is doing it, all groups are doing it. Something doesn’t add up.

2. Chris Howard
    July 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Don’t most Christian sects consider any belief, that’s not their sect, to be “Satanic”?

Religious tolerance isn’t something that’s very workable in monotheistic religions with a personification of evil.

3. July 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM

@Chris Howard
    I think that it goes beyond that. ‘Most’ Christian sects do not believe that all things non-Christian are Satanic. Maybe a small minority do. I’m Jewish (well, technically, raised Jewish, but a devout agnostic leaning towards atheism). One person at a place I worked admitted to other co-workers that he didn’t want to work with me because I’d burn in hell when I died (I don’t think he actually believed I prayed to Satan though). Another person, a roommate of mine in College about 30 to 35 years ago, told me that his grandmother said that Jews had horns (he was from Montana, so I may have been the very first Jew he had ever met, at least knowingly — turned out, no surprise that he was an anti-semite, and called me a liar when I told him that his hero, Lorne Greene, was Jewish). That probably is a bit closer to believing I was a satanist. Still, that’s 2 people out of all the people I’ve met. It’s admittedly anecdotal, but enough to make me skeptical.

If any belief is not the same as a christian sect, it has to be that of Judaism or agnosticism.

I also don’t agree that religious tolerance is unworkable in “Monotheistic religions with a personification of evil”. You can beileve in evil, and yet not believe that everyone who disagrees with you is, them-self, evil. If everyone who you’ve ever had a fundamental disagreement with were evil then it would be a very lonely life, I promise you.

4. Kiljoy616
    July 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Christian cult thinks another christian cult is devil worshiping. Isn’t that the same thing they think of the Catholic church.

5. spookyparadigm
    July 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Ok, this is obviously the usual radical Christian fantasy roleplaying thing (aka, the Satanic Panic). But lets say, for the sake of the argument, it’s not. And let’s take them at their probably garbled by this point word that they aren’t just calling Hindus Satanists (which would not surprise me in the slightest if that is their point).

So let’s say, just for the sake of argument, that Satanism is growing there. Satanism, of course, being in opposition to the Christian god. Which wouldn’t have made much sense in a pre-Christian India.

Congratulations folks. You’ve somehow helped Satan gain a foothold in South Asia :)

6. spookyparadigm
    July 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Wait, I didn’t see above, as in the full press release, that these stories are coming from converts, confessing to their past sins. I think this sort of thing is indeed on topic for Doubtful News. But there ain’t no mystery here.

7. Chris Howard
    July 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

@haldur sorry should have clarified. People within a monotheistic sect that has a personification of evil can be tolerant, despite the fact that if your faith teaches that you are the one, and only true people that’s, end of story, no further discussion necessary, pretty much is the definition of an intolerant belief.

Polytheistic religions tend to be much more tolerant of other religious beliefs. It’s not until the advent of Anrahamic faiths that we start to see hardcore religiously sanctioned intolerance, when pertaining to others beliefs.

8. Nos482
    July 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

@Haldur
    So, do you have horns or not? =P
    Should’ve told him that Jesus was a jew… ya know, just to watch his head asplode.

BTT, I think it’s quite clearly just another ‘Satanic Panic’ thing. And even if it had a grain of truth, so frickin’ what?
    Youth satanism is usually the first step to become an atheist…but of course, that would be even worse to the priests.