Are we making ourselves sick over MSG and gluten? Yeah, probably.

Is this food intolerance just a new fad?

MSG and gluten intolerance: Is the nocebo effect to blame? – Slate Magazine.

Check out this article in its entirety to find out about “Chinese Restaurant Syndrome”, alarmism, paranoia, cognitive dissonance, and nonceliac gluten intolerance.

Double-blinded studies failed to turn up evidence of a clinical condition. MSG, many people noted, appears in everything from sushi to Doritos. Journalists performed experiments similar to mine, their results echoing the consensus of professional scientists: In the overwhelming majority of cases, MSG sensitivity is a psychological phenomenon.

Despite this thorough debunking, a surprisingly large number of people—generally those who lived through the epidemic—still insist they are sensitive to MSG. Google around and you’ll turn up scores of alarmist websites, which tend to combine outdated research with anecdotal, indignant rebuttals of the current scientific wisdom: “How dare you suggest my MSG sensitivity is only in my head? Why, just the other day I went out for Chinese and forgot to ask about MSG. After 45 minutes I couldn’t breathe and my heart was racing.”

Two-thirds of people who think they are gluten intolerant aren’t. They just think they are but tests show otherwise. The current gluten-free craze is TRULY crazy. See here (gluten-free shampoo). There is no logic or evidence behind the claims of gluten as the horrific thing it’s being made out to be. Until there is… I’m PERFECTLY fine with cake and pasta, etc. You guys can suffer without them all you wish.

6 comments for “Are we making ourselves sick over MSG and gluten? Yeah, probably.

1. Jim
    July 11, 2013 at 3:58 AM

I cook with MSG all the time. I use it a bit like salt, in quantity, but it adds a different flavour. I love it.

2. July 11, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Until there is someone with an actual intolerance and then it can be REALLY nasty. Especially when it’s escalated to coeliacs, which can be really nasty and cause all kinds of physical and psychological problems. The boy who cried wolf.

3. Chris Howard
    July 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

It’s weird. When I tell people that the Romans made MSG, and glutens been in our diet forever they take pause.

I think it’s because they assume that those things are “modern chemical” additives? For some reason they think its okay if those things have been around for a long time. I guess it’s argument/appeal from/to tradition?

They are usually the type that brandish about words like “toxic” “unnatural” “organic” and “chemical” without having any idea what they’re referring to.

4. One Eyed Jack
    July 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My ex-mother-in-law claimed MSG intolerance. I tried to discuss it with her to no avail. Trying to educate someone that thinks they are MSG intolerant is like trying to change someone’s religion.

MSG is just a concentrated form of glutamic acid that is present in almost all proteins. When it is digested, it doesn’t matter if it’s consumed as a salt, acid, or part of a protein chain — it all breaks down to mostly free amino acid.

You won’t find the “organic” crowd saying that though: http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=207 In their minds, if it’s “natural” somehow the molecules are magically different.

After a few attempts with my mother-in-law, I just kept my mouth shut (though the chemist in me was seething) as she ate dozens of foods that I knew contained MSG, but she thought did not.

5. eddi
    July 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Anybody remember gluten bread from the 60s? Extra gluten added for I don’t remember what reason. I was about 10 so you can imagine my reactions. Interior was bright yellow, texture was dry sponge and flavor was yuck.

6. One Eyed Jack
    July 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Gluten is needed in bread to give it elasticity as it is rising and structure when it is baked. Too much gluten and you get a very dense bread. Too little gluten and you get large air pockets.