Mistaken mountain lion. Here, kitty…

I’m sure you’ve heard all those reports of people seeing large cats and strange animals… think that eyewitness reports can be taken at face value? Well here is ANOTHER case that shows they can’t.

Mountain lion in Casper? Officials call it a case of mistaken identity.

Kirsten Bright and her sister Taylor were just about to complete their first 20-mile bike ride on the Platte River Parkway Trail late Monday morning when they approached a police officer holding a large gun.

“(The officer) stopped us and told us there was a mountain lion in the area so we couldn’t get back to my car,” Kirsten recalled Tuesday in interviews with the Star-Tribune over the phone and on Facebook. “We were kind of stranded.”

“There was definitely a feline type animal, but we don’t believe it was a mountain lion,” said Robin Kepple, public information specialist for Wyoming Game and Fish. “It looked to be a large, domestic-type cat, but we’re not certain.”

not a cougar lion

Credit: Casper County Police Dept.

Yep. A house cat.

7 comments for “Mistaken mountain lion. Here, kitty…

1. Bearman
    June 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

House cat. Mountain lions do not have a white chest blaze and muzzle.

2. June 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Wyoming Fish & Game officials really couldn’t tell this was a house cat? Now I’m skeptical about their claim that feral unicorns roam their state.

3. June 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

4. June 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Wow, the only known shot of the incredibly rare Wyoming pygmy mountain lion, and they just give it away. Unbelievable.

5. Saskeptic
    June 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

This is impossible. I have been assured many times on the Bigfoot Forums that law enforcement officers are highly trained individuals incapable of mistaking a housecat for a mountain lion.

6. eddi
    June 7, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Oh good lord people! This story represents a complete lack of common sense. The articles presented here alternately amuse and infuriate me, which I consider good. But this one takes the cake, the dish, the tablecloth and the rest of the kitchen including the sink. I’d bang my head on the desk, but I just Bondoed over the last dent and it’s not dry.

7. LREKing
    June 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

“If some cop shoots my cat, thinking it’s a dangerous mountain lion then we’re gonna have problems.”

Another recent trend is cops “mistaking” cell phones for guns — or so they claim.