Electro-acupuncture ordered for youth criminal in U.K.

Whoa! What an appalling order to undergo useless treatment.

Teenage thug sentenced to receive electro-acupuncture following crime spree – Crosby Herald.

A TEENAGE thug who subjected a Litherland family to a series of assaults and intimidation has been ordered to take part in a course of electro-acupuncture.

The 17-year-old boy, also from Litherland, carried out two attacks on the family on October 7, 2012, before damaging a window and door on their property.

In addition to the curfew, the teenager will also be required to attend six sessions of electro-acupuncture – a form of therapy where an acupuncture needle delivers a painless small electrical charge.

Although more commonly used for pain management, the treatment is thought by some scientists to be effective in relaxing the patient by reducing levels of a protein linked to chronic stress.

The article claims this is part of an nationwide initiative. Who decided that electro-acupuncture was a sound idea? The article mentions the Sefton Council but no further details except this:

As part of the project, thousands of children aged between ten and 19 have been treated with massages, acupuncture and healing techniques to reduce crime and drug abuse.
A spokesman for Sefton Council said: “Electro-acupuncture is a non intrusive service often available to young people to help manage stress and/or anger issues.

It appears the service may be authorized through them? They claim it has a high success rate but also note that other aspects of treatment are used – a typical thing. What caused the “success”? We can’t tell.

Use of this pseudoscientific stuff is disturbing. Are local science-based physicians and social workers speaking out?

Clinical trials show that acupuncture DOES NOT work. So I’m curious where they get their claims from.

6 comments for “Electro-acupuncture ordered for youth criminal in U.K.

1. oldebabe
    June 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

“Ordered”??? By whom? In spite of the fact that acupuncture is a farce, it is invasive, and that it’s `ordered’ as a medical means, is frightening – or maybe that;’s the point?. What next?

2. DW
    June 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I am troubled by this article since there seems to be an assumption that the word ‘ordered’ means the court is forcing it’s will. In many countries and courts the defense can agree to a treatment but it will always be followed by a court order enforcing the agreement. Perhaps the defense suggested this treatment. Since there was no mention of conventional therapy there seems to be an assumption that it did not take place. I believe there are details that we do not know or understand. I understand being skeptical of treatments and I don’t mean to offend but it seems like there are at least two unworthy assumptions going on.

3. AndyM
    June 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM

I’m a local scientist and physician and looking into it! Waiting for a response to an email I sent to someone at the council youth offending team. It seems that there is a council-run service for young substance abusers. The telephone receptionist declined to comment whether acupuncture is part of their repertoire but their website mentions “complementary” medicine.

I’ll post again when I hear back.

4. One Eyed Jack
    June 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Commit a crime and get therapeutic massages?

5. Massachusetts
    June 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I know an acupuncturist who’s been in the field for over 30 years, so I asked him about this article. He said it made no sense to him, and that electro-needles are only used for pain so this modality doesn’t make any sense in terms of conventional acupuncture practice. So it seems this is fringe to the people who are thought of to be the fringe!

It seems to me that lots of talk therapy and deep breathing techniques would be a better way to address stress than to use an invasive procedure that the kids haven’t bought into psychologically–that would only increase fear and stress levels, regardless of whether or not it actually works.

Also, the article mentioned massage was also implemented. I’m thinking many of these very troubled kids have abuse issues to deal with, so being forced to experience an adult rubbing their bodies extensively might not be the best way to approach the situation.

6. June 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Seems to me like it is getting close to “A Clock Work Orange” territory.