Loch “monster” video a bunch of malarkey

We posted this video in Leftovers a few days ago but it’s now going around to other outlets. I have no idea why.

Is this a Loch Ness Monster relative on film? – Heritage – Scotsman.com.

Student Conall Melarkey was filming for a college project with friend David Lynch when a large creature broke through the surface of Lough Foyle, which can be seen on the video.

Melarkey posted the clip to YouTube asking, ‘Looks like we have our own Loch Ness Monster – any experts out there?’

It does not move at all like a real creature. Plus, read the comments. I hate to say I’m giving these folks some attention but this is CERTAINLY doubtful. In fact, I’m not buying it at all. The goal may be to see how far this gets. Let me tell you, it stopped at the doorstep here.
irish monster

9 comments for “Loch “monster” video a bunch of malarkey

1. May 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

It’s not even Lough Foyle but Dun Laiougharie Harbour, with Howth Head in the background, in the Republic of Ireland – just 130 miles off, in the wrong country. http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/did-student-film-a-monster-in-lough-foyle-29235157.html

2. RDW
    May 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I’d strongly suspect a hoax by the people recording this video. Who would wear a suit to go fishing ?? Highly Dubious !! As fakes go, it’s pretty good though.

3. Rob Johnston
    May 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I live nearby Lough Foyle and the view in that video is of Magilligan point. I’m not saying the video definitely isn’t a hoax, but it’s not the first report of strange sea-life off the coast of Ireland

4. Chris Sargeant
    May 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

There is a surprising lack of “OMG WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!” going on.

5. May 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Living creatures generally move when they are moving – whatever this is it shows no sign of being responsible for its movement.

6. May 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Couple of points (some also made by others):

1) I’d be pretty worried, if something big came by, at that speed. Dude, you’re *at sea*, you’re not in your own back yard. Yet, none of the voices are particularly alarmed?

2) The wake is WAY too small for anything of considerable size moving at that speed.

3) The guy in the boat is out fishing, wearing an open white shirt and a jacket, but no life jacket?

4) They were out there filming “for a college project”? Yeah, I think I know what that project was.

I’ve seen worse, but I’ve seen better, too. But nicely done.

7. Greg
    May 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Conall Melarkey? Seriously? Con All Malarkey

8. May 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM

All I would add is that it moves in a very straight and smooth line. Perhaps a mechanically smooth line, you might say.

9. May 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

(Oh. I see links are removed. It moved very like the ‘Jaws’ shark. Nice straight lines.)