Zug Island movie needs contributors to get up and humming

Independent filmaker look for investors for movie about the hum.

Pssssst, or bzzzzz! A film about the mysterious Windsor humming sound is raising money online | Detroit Free Press | freep.com.

What’s that strange sound you hear? Could it be the buzz over a new crowd-sourcing campaign for a documentary about Windsor, Ontario’s mysterious humming noise?

Toronto-based artist and filmmaker Adam Makarenko is trying to raise $15,000 on Indiegogo.com to make “Zug Island – The Story of the Windsor Hum.”

The film project seeks to investigate what Makarenko describes in a trailer he’s posted as “a real-life X File.”

Here is the IndieGoGo page.

The producer has a plan to be right there, living in the area in order to experience it. The point of the film is investigative but his goals are to stop the noise. There is some mystery mongering going on.

Zug Island: The Story of The Windsor Hum will take an investigative look into the cracks of dark industry.  What secrets are hidden on Zug Island?  Is there a secret military base? Could it just be something in an industrial process that is creating this low frequency sound?  The possibilities are endless, and so far unknown.  The people of this documentary are made up of U.S. and Canadian residents, military experts, businessmen, politicians, scientists, and acoustic engineers to name a few. Collectively, they will give us different perspectives, and insights getting us closer to the real answers. Where is the hum coming from?  What else has happened there?

I’m not sure it’s a “real-life X file”. But I’m fascinating by stuff like this. He only has about $2000 of his $15,000 goal. I’d like to know the source of the hum. He claims to have access to experts. And plans to use miniatures. So, I’d be concerned the focus is on the artistic instead of the investigation. Recall that Canada had also approved funding to study the source of the noise that bothers so many. I feel that’s a more sound approach with greater credibility. Regardless, good luck, dude.

Tip: DC_in_Detroit on Twitter

6 comments for “Zug Island movie needs contributors to get up and humming

1. April 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Gary Grosse has been leading the Windsor Hum thingy for a while. I was pretty skeptical at first. Windsor/Detroit is a big industrial zone and it’s funny how sounds that you never noticed suddenly you notice when it is pointed out to you. Some hums have been in the news and I was concerned maybe the Windsor Hum Hearers were just being clued in to listen for a hum by the media. I always like to use the example of the Seattle windshield pitting epidemic as an example (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Windshield_Pitting_Epidemic) of how these things can quickly cross pollinate.

I had a good discussion with Mr. Grosse here:

I’m impressed by his no-nonsense approach. It would be easy to fall into the trap of magnifying your voice by letting all travelers on board and increasing your numbers. But if your ranks get stocked with people who think it’s aliens or mother earth rebelling against cell phone towers and other piles of steaming larks vomit, well, it is very easy for governments to write you off as cranks.

I’m a little concerned the Windsor Hum people have settled on Zug Island (those damn dirty Americans!) as the cause. However, I have no reason to believe Mr. Grosse is attached to the Zug Island explanation if the Canadian federal government study does not support this hypothesis.

This new Adam Makarenko guy popping up into the conversation seems to be mystery mongering a bit:

“A factory, owned by USS steel [1] inhabits the island. A moat, and extremely high fences surround this place; it’s even guarded by security forces of some kind. You would think that the steel factory was some sort of industrial castle, with something top secret inside. From a distance, it looks like Mordor from Tolkien’s Lord of The Rings.”

Security forces of some kind? Protecting something top secret? I guess because he’s from Toronto he’s unaware in Detroit there are loads of poor people who make meager incomes stealing any valuable recyclable metal they can find (http://www.freep.com/article/20120404/NEWS05/204040454/Detroit-meeting-on-scrap-metal-theft-gets-heated).

________

1. Sloppy .It’s really owned by United States Steel or US Steel… not “USS steel”.

2. April 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

USS steel is their logo — unless they changed it http://www.ussteelcanada.com/ussca/
    so to say USS – typo? Doesn’t matter…it’s all the same.

As for the machine guns…. it’s true according to a worker that I have interviewed who works on the island. Why that is I do not know, and either does he. I have been around the island quite a bit over the past 6 months, and have talked to most of the businesses surrounding the place. There is a lot that has not been revealed in the little trailer I made — all for good reason. Nothing of aliens or anything bizzarre like that either.

What is mysterious to me is how sound works, and how it can suddenly have an affect — hence why I have been talking to scientists and experts. I am also exploring the relationship between industry and the people that surround it. I am taking this documentary in a clean and clear way forward, nothing convoluted.

Thirdly, I don’t intend going beyond the realm of science based facts…but it’s really interesting to me how people think on either sides of those lines. The original study pinpointed Zug Island — with the new study they may say it’s somewhere else. I guess that first bit of ‘science’ was not exactly right? I have the study, and it’s quite comprehensive. This is also what the documentary is for — transparency between the people, the government, and industry.

Hopefully this clears it up — It’s a very touchy subject. But in no way will my documentary undermine what the people of Windsor (the one’s affected) are doing.

Thanks

3. April 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Adam. I don’t mean to be a grammar Nazi but you’re asking people for a sizable chunk of coin. Helps, certainly, to be as professional as possible from the get go. A documentary, if it’s to have any impact, needs to get in front of various gate keepers. If the press release/promo material makes it look like a backyard production… well. But I’m no expert in marketing a film.

Ultimately, the best hope for the people of Windsor for a solution is if complainants are not seen as a loose band of cranks and mystery mongers who see evil military plans, tunneling, new world order machinations, and other cloak and dagger stuff.

Good luck with your project.

• April 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Actually I need to say that docs are a huge cost — the amount I am asking for is not a lot. I am doing it all on my own with the help of one producer. This also makes it cost effective: I can shoot, record audio, direct, and edit. Docs cost upwards of 100k-300k easily. Actually most of what you see on TV costs exactly that..or even more. If you did your research on documentary costs you would know that, but I know that you are no expert on that as you say.

A film needs to get infront of various gate keepers? I have no idea what you mean by that. Can you explain who are the gate keepers? This sounds so cryptic to me. Is US Steel a gatekeeper? Clarify this for me.

I know it’s your job to debunk, but when the debunking happens you need to provide proof of the ‘debunked’. Often debunking doesn’t do that, it’s simply disembodied rhetoric. It’s just an attack. Although, with this story there is nothing to debunk. There is a hum coming from that general direction. That is fact that has been established scientifically. This is all I have to work with currently — and as a filmmaker I am certainly not concluding anything in the trailer, or the pitch. All I am saying is that there is a hum, and no one knows what it is. That is the truth – until there is proof.

That last statement “..loose band of cranks, mystery mongers..” What is a mystery monger? I never mentioned any of that stuff…and really why would I? The one thing I intend to do is keep it true and real like any good documentary.

• April 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Presumably you hope to exhibit your documentary beyond Youtube. So by gatekeepers I mean people who jury film festivals and the like.

I do realize a documentary or any full length film/video project can be expensive. (I used write for a show on CBC Windsor and was in the process of developing a half hour cartoon when CBC head office canceled the project because it would cost $200K.) But the $15,000 you seek is still a large sum of money, particularly to many people in Windsor. That would be a year’s net pay for many in Windsor. As I noted on the FB group, I would not contribute to such a project as currently the Federal government has fully financed a science-based investigation. It to me, personally, seems, at worst, an unnecessary duplication of efforts. At best it seems premature to do such a project before the Feds have wrapped up and published their findings. Others may not agree with me. They’re free to donate to your cause. Should they ask me if this is a wise expenditure of their hard earned money, my advice would be as such. Should the Federal study fail to release results or it becomes apparent when reviewed by peers the Federal investigation was deeply flawed, I would be very happy to kick in.

I do not claim it is my job to debunk. My job is to document software. As former Windsor resident and a person with all of my family there, I have a passing interest examining hum claims critically. If hum claims are before me on blogs or FB groups for comment, I’m happy to add my 2 cents (which in Canada we have to round down now to “free”.)

That said, people I know who would claim to be debunkers are not rhetoricians. They examine fantastic claims for phenomenon and first seek if the phenomenon even exists. If it does, they examine if known, prosaic explanations are first explored as answers before the proponent reaches for the fantastical (“If you hear hoof beats, first consider horses, not zebras”).

“What is a mystery monger? I never mentioned any of that stuff”

I do not think you are mystery mongering. Your description of your film project read to me as a bit of mystery mongering (see quoted section). Although not your intention, there are certainly Windsor Hum people who would be happy to fill in the blank with a range of fantastical explanations as to why a steel factory needs a “moat” and “security forces of some kind”. The prosaic explanation is Detroit is a very poor city with a scrap metal theft problem. A valuable hoard of easy-to-sell scrap metal makes a ready target for theft and requires guards and multiple barriers. My own experience analyzing conspiracy theories informs me there are certainly people who would first reach for the zebra explanation: the NWO tunneling chambers for reptoid commando squads.

• April 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Hi Karl – thanks for explaining. I understand where you are coming from now :)
          Good debate.