Nine year old autistic Indian girl claimed to be psychic

Nine-year-old Nandana is said to be able to read her mother’s mind.

Mind reading Sharjah Girl ‘exceedingly rare’ savant.

A nine-year-old autistic girl in Sharjah, whose extraordinary ability to read her mother’s mind was revealed to the world last week, could be the next name added to a worldwide registry of people with savant talents, according to the world’s top expert in savant syndrome.

In an exclusive report published on March 25, Khaleej Times brought to light the story of miracle girl Nandana Unnikrishnan, an autistic Indian child who can feel her mother’s emotions and read her thoughts, without any medium.

After reading the report on the Khaleej Times website, Dr Treffert wrote to Khaleej Times expressing his interest in the story and his long-term involvement researching savant syndrome.

“(I) have been involved in research on savant syndrome for many years. Savant syndrome itself is rare. But the type of telepathy Nandana exhibits is extraordinarily rare. I am investigating several cases now and appreciate learning about Nandana.”

Dr Treffert conveyed his desire to learn more about Nandana’s talents and called the Khaleej Times report “very convincing”.

From what I get out of this, the Dr. is going by the report he read in the Khaleej Times. He did no testing and the testing mentioned in the report is not detailed. So what we have so far is… nothing. A story. There is mention that no facilitated communication was used. That’s a positive. But most of these stories gloss over the fact that there is PLENTY of wiggle room to interpret psychic ability. There are often inadequate controls. When sound controls are applied to the testing, the effect disappears. There is a million dollars waiting for anyone who can demonstrate psychic abilities. It may be difficult for this girl to travel and undergo testing but it would be worth it to show her ability to the world.

Doubtful, I am. Also, I don’t like when kids are exploited like this.

9 comments for “Nine year old autistic Indian girl claimed to be psychic

1. April 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Extraordinary Savant, Daniel Tammet, in his book “Born on a Blue Day” explains that he – and fellow Savants have far more brain connections than the rest of us. This allows them to process and store far more information than a normal person can. This may help to explain the strange ability of the Indian girl. One of Daniel’s ‘gifts’ is that he is able to learn any foreign language perfectly within one week.

2. One Eyed Jack
    April 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

More brain connections? Certainly he knows this because it’s been tested, right? Pull the other one.

You don’t need to be a savant to learn a language in a week. Commitment, motivation, and few techniques are all that are required.

3. Chris
    April 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

It doesn’t take a genius to know what a mother is thinking when dealing with young children: “No! Stop! Play nice. Be careful. When will I get a moment to myself? Because I told you so. I love you.”

4. April 11, 2013 at 3:32 AM

@Jack, I agree that we must all have the same number of connections but perhaps, by chance, people with the Savant Syndrome are able to use more of them than others. Savants are not ‘doubtful’, they do exist. Possibly both Einstein and Mozart were members?

5. One Eyed Jack
    April 11, 2013 at 3:58 AM

No, I don’t doubt the existence of savants. In this case the child would be an “idiot savant” (a term I personally dislike).

6. April 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Khaleej Times’ website has been deleting or refusing to post user comments that question the story. Funny.

7. April 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM

@MichaelGreening, savants seem to have brains which are different from the neurotypical–some functions are greatly enhanced, but this is quite often at the expense of others not working right, as with autistic children who are calculating prodigies but can hardly speak and can’t interpret facial expressions or tones of voice.

8. April 12, 2013 at 4:38 AM

@carfink, I understand that about two thirds of all savants are autistic. However a third are not.

9. dass
    April 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I think it is not that autistic savants are able to use more of the brain’s connections than others, but that those connections that are usually dedicated to social functions are being used by another part of the brain. In most cases, their increased ability in one area is a direct result of a diminished capacity in another. Not a fair trade if you ask me. I would rather be able to functions in society and have to use a calculator than to be able to do them in my head and live a lonely life in which I could not understand what it is to be human. Though they are interesting cases, we should be dedicating our time to understanding how a seemingly normal person could have abilities beyond that of others.