Kickstarting Noah’s Ark as a zoo (UPDATED: A little short)

We have an UPDATE to this story. The group failed to reach their goal of $1.5 million. They managed to raise as much as $825. And no, that’s not a typo. That’s eight hundred and twenty five dollars. Juuuuust a bit short.

We can’t say we’re surprised but we would have figured they’d at least break the $1,000 line.

Originally posted on March 4, 2013

A group of Christians are running a Kickstarter project to build a real ark to house REAL animals as zoo. Ironically, their goal is animal welfare.

The Hidden Ark by Osmar Oliva — Kickstarter.

HIDDEN ARK is proud to be the first thematic, online park that will have a real impact in our lives and the lives of the animals and plants inside. HIDDEN ARK is planned to become this ideal and exemplary life-changing project, where we can improve and contribute with the welfare of animals and vegetation.The ark will also be open to the public once its completed and people will be allowed to interact with the animals. They will have the option to donate animals to our cause and also adopt the offsprings of some animals. Our facilities will include restaurants, a petting zoo for children, a veterinarian for the animals, interactive tours and much more! HIDDEN ARK will become an ecological oasis and a tourist destination.

Problem — the Ark story was a STORY, not real. Another problem, I sincerely doubt that local officials will allow this to happen. Zoos require permits and keeping animals housed in such an illogical and inappropriate environment will likely not be allowed. Although, just trying will show how ridiculous this idea is.

Their goal is $1.5 million dollars. Their total so far? 12 backers at $193. I’m sure it will go up by the end on April 21 but still…

Tip: Reed Esau

7 comments for “Kickstarting Noah’s Ark as a zoo (UPDATED: A little short)

1. March 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Are the Noah’s Arc builders going to pray for heavy rain?

2. Ian P.
    March 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

When I first read this blurb I thought “So they want to build a Biblical-themed zoo. What’s wrong with that?” until I got to the website and saw that they really want to house animals in a large, wooden cruise ship.

3. March 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I think this would be impossible to run in many places, but I’ve seen and read about quite a few bizarre and terrible private, roadside, and traveling zoos in Florida. Although a lot of it has been shut down in the past twenty years there seems to still be a lot of sad, scary stuff going on in “private zoos”.

4. One Eyed Jack
    March 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I sincerely doubt that local officials will allow this to happen.

So you’ve never heard of Ken Hamm’s “Ark Encounter”? http://arkencounter.com/

Now, admittedly, they aren’t planning a zoo, but I’m sure some animals will be involved. The point is, not only did Kentucky state officials embrace the plans to build a religious theme park, they were very quick to start handing out state aid in the form of generous tax abatements.

5. March 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Again? As Rocket J. Squirrel said, “but that trick never works.”

6. Eisbein
    March 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

In the video at 04:20 it says you can experience how the animals evolve an interact. I always thought those people deny evolution? Or did I just hear it wrong?

7. Astroliam
    April 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I think the reason that there is little interest in this is that is seems to focus more on the animals and come across as more an environmental thing than a literal religious thing. Thus the lack of funding…