Is this a joke? Animal Legal Defense Sues to protect Bigfoot (Yes)

This press release was yesterday (April 1st) and many bigfooters jumped on it as a great thing, including Melba Ketchum who advocates protection for Sasquatch as a native people. I’m not buying it. What do you think?

Animal Legal Defense Fund : Animal Legal Defense Fund Sues to Stop Texas Bigfoot Hunt.

Today, the national nonprofit Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) is filing a lawsuit against the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, requesting judicial review of the agency’s May 2012 administrative finding that Bigfoot is an indigenous “nongame” species that can therefore be hunted without a permit.

“Cryptozoological creatures like Bigfoot must not be deprived appropriate legal protections,” says ALDF attorney Chris Berry. “The lack of credible evidence that Bigfoot is indigenous to Texas sets a clear legal prohibition on Sasquatch hunts in the Lone Star State.”

When we originally covered the news story about this May 2012 event, we were harassed by a Bigfoot proponent. So, I removed it. Here is a rundown of what happened and what the Texas game official said.

A non-protected nongame animal may be hunted on private property with landowner consent by any means, at any time and there is no bag limit or possession limit.

An exotic animal is an animal that is non-indigenous to Texas. Unless the exotic is an endangered species then exotics may be hunted on private property with landowner consent. A hunting license is required.

So, as a result of that, things got blown out of context.

I’ll reiterate my position. If this is NOT a deliberate joke by the ALDF, it is incomprehensible. Contrary to many wishful thinkers in the state of Texas and elsewhere, BIGFOOT HAS NOT BEEN ESTABLISHED TO ACTUALLY EXIST.

Many Bigfooters live in a state of irrationality which is why I eschew posting much about the field except that which makes mainstream news. The search for Bigfoot has become a religious quest for many and also, for some, seems to be actually backed by the Bible! I wasn’t involved in the previous heyday of Bigfoot back in the 60’s and 70’s but this is really insane right now.

Job for you: Can someone check to see if an actual lawsuit HAS been filed? I can’t seem to find information on that.

UPDATE: Melba’s gullibility is painful. That’s what’s sad.

Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 2.29.31 PM

Note: Only comment if you are familiar with how this site works and have something constructive to say that contributes to the discusssion. This is not a forum.

12 comments for “Is this a joke? Animal Legal Defense Sues to protect Bigfoot (Yes)

1. April 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

The ALDF statement says “is filing” not “has filed.” I don’t think they have filed anything yet (if it’s real). This website shows that the most recent lawsuit against the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department was March 14 by someone named Rao, Jr.

Unfortunately, you have to have a subscription to see the information.

• April 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Thanks Jim!

2. April 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I forgot to add the suit is over job discrimination. It has nothing to do with Bigfoot. I’m leaning towards an April Fools joke on this one.

3. April 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM

“May 2012 event, we were harassed by a Bigfoot proponent.”

That looks like near the time I stopped being able to see Doubtful News from home. I now need to go to coffee shops and the library. I guess the proponent is an “ISP neighbor” that some software blocked to protect the systme. Well, it is a good a guess as I have.

Sometimes those that believe in fairy tales do not realize the affect they have on others. Especially the ones that pulled a press conference over a messed Bigfoot costume. Come on, guys! Get a grip!

Oh, wait. Protecting “Bigfoot” from being shot does have one good thing. It keeps folks with guns from randomly shooting in the woods. It is bad enough that people in my state have been killed by bear hunters (one was a woman who bent down to tie her shoes, she was killed by a kid hunting with his grandfather), we don’t need more armed fanatics running around in the forest.

• April 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Chris: Try again. I got one issue fixed for several people who were having this problem. It may work now.

4. BobM
    April 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Been telling everyone on various bigfoot threads for a long time that it’s legal to hunt ‘em in Texas. Maybe I’m responsible :-).

5. Kiljoy616
    April 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

If this is real this is priceless, or just dumb marketing gimmick.

6. VT1985
    April 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM

You missed the worst part about Dr. Ketchum’s gullibility – she evidently deleted previous comments in which she was wondering if she would be subpoenaed in this case because she is an expert witness. It took her 12 hours to realize it was a joke.

7. April 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Dr. Melba Ketchum shared a link. 12 hours ago
    “This could get interesting really fast!”
    EMBARRASSING PARTS DELETED FROM PAGE: Melba Ketchum:
    “Wow, I wonder if they will subpoena me.”
    and
    “Not like I haven’t testified a bunch of times and am admitted as a DNA Expert in the State of Texas!”
    and
    “This might get interesting….”
    MORE… Dr. Melba Ketchum, 11 hours ago: “Hope it is not an April Fool’s prank since the lethal Sasquatch manhunt being carried out by the TBRC is no joke.”
    Dr. Melba Ketchum, about an hour ago:
    “Sadly, the ALDF suit was just an April Fool’s prank. I am not amused. Things like this just hurt the credibility of our study because it proliferates the belief that Saquatch is just a myth.”

8. April 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

LOL…Robin Lynne posted something, isn’t she the lady that feeds blueberry bagels to bigfoot on her property?

9. April 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM

idoubtit: “Try again.”

I’ll try when I get back home from this coffee shop. Thanks!

Though one good thing is when the old laptop I was using in waiting room started to literally smoke (turn off, unplug!), I got this tablet. :-)

10. Chris
    April 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Woo hoo! It works. No more noisy coffee shops. Thanks!

By the way, a bit on topic: the thought of people with guns hunting mythical creatures is frightening. Just saying.