Hundreds of UFOs swarming over Perth. Or not.

So tell me… HOW is this plausible, that UFOs are just all over the place, hundreds of them? Yes, I am finding this hard to believe. You should too.

Hundreds of UFO pics captured over Perth by Darlington man | Perth Now.

Rob Hartland has taken more than 20,000 photos of the day-time sky in the past six months and analysed them on his computer.

He says since then he has identified a dozen different UFOs including round, square and saucer-shaped craft, posting the photos to his website wispyclouds.net for extra-terrestrial buffs and sceptics to ponder.

Mr Hartland, who has completed a PhD in biochemistry, said he had no history of mental illness or drug taking and that he never altered his photos, though he acknowledged many people would find his claims hard to believe.

One of the pictures Rob Hartland took in November 2012. Photo credit: Rob Hartland

A “smudge” is not a “craft in the sky”. We’d be safe to call it unidentified but it could be lots of things. Insects or other flying animals is a better choice. Remember this ridiculosity?

Let’s head on over to his website, wispyclouds, where we find additional mistaken assumptions.

We don’t see these craft with the naked eye but detect them on the digital images when viewing and enlarging them on a computer screen. I use a compact digital camera, the Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100, which has a 20 megapixel / 1 inch CMOS sensor to take high resolution images which are later enhanced using a photo-enhancing program like Adobe Photoshop.

These craft are fast-moving and fly at fairly high altitude as I usually focus the camera on the edges of mid- to high-altitude clouds. … On some days there may be craft present in more than 5% of the photos, although many are too small for enhancing.

These objects are of too low resolution to be enhanced to this degree. There is distortion. Yet Hartland claims he’s sees occupants inside?! No. That’s unwarranted as is much else on this page.

At a certain point, people who believe in UFOs as craft lose perspective. They fail to realize how utterly implausible their suggestions are because they are so invested in it. I don’t know why this piece was printed. Those who read it will either believe it too and be misled into thinking something is going on or they will laugh at Mr. Hartland.

The Sunday Times picture editor noted that dust and distortion may account for some of the images. But with this low quality evidence, it is not reasonable to say these are “craft” and then talk of UFO disclosure.

Tip: Kylie Sturgess

6 comments for “Hundreds of UFOs swarming over Perth. Or not.

1. Max
    April 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

How does one spell, lenticular cloud?

2. April 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Digital cameras has many more orbs than regular cameras, Travis Roy did a lot of investigation during a ghost hunt to describe the orbs I got with my cheaper camera… and his lack of orbs with his lovely expensive camera on a tri pod. Same with UFOs, my poor quality camera recorded mystery lights at the Betty Hill viewing ground…and higher quality cameras with tripods and such do not. Paranormal likes my cheap Cannon? Or another explanation?

3. RDW
    April 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Just a guess, but I’d think this were either an insect, blurred because it was moving in the foreground, or a bird, somewhat more distant from the camera. The least likely thing it might be would be a spacecraft from an alien civilization, I’d think. Decades ago, I briefly believed in UFOs(based on absolutely nothing), but quickly changed my mind after reading a few Skeptical Inquirer magazines. It was a big relief to stop believing in that sort of thing.

4. April 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

But you missed the best part.
    He also references “chemtrails” and even links to another site for us to *learn* more.

5. Brian
    April 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM

“It began when he was taking photos of clouds to test out a new camera when he noticed a “smudge” that, when enlarged and enhanced, “had some structure to it, suggesting it could be some sort of craft in the sky”.”

I think someone should take back the stupid camera, and get a refund or replacement! It’s what *I* would do if I had a defective POS! But then again, i’m not a [removed by editor], either.

BTW- I have done the ‘random shot of the sky’ thing, to see what results I would get. Guess what- *nothing*. I do not even capture bugs. If I ever do capture something weird, I will hand it over to this site FIRST. Let it get skeptic-ed to death. :-D I’d rather that, and rule out a bug, a weird lens flare, or reflection, than be made a fool of, and have those weirdos hanging of me.

6. Sids
    April 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM

“He says since then he has identified a dozen different UFOs”

If he really has ‘identified’ them, then the one thing that they absolutely cannot be are ‘unidentified flying objects’ (unless of course if the aliens advanced technology allows them to defy the law of non-contradiction).