Dueling Bigfoot hunters of Kentucky

Oh boy, dueling Bigfoot experts.

‘Bigfoot’ hunters coming back this weekend.

This will be the third organized hunt in the Daniel Boone National Forest for those associated with the TV show.

Morin is convinced he and his group will find a Bigfoot in the Daniel Boone and that residents that choose to come along on the search will witness the creature’s existence.

Ron Coffey, who is a cryptozoologist from Mt. Sterling, said he led part of the first Bigfoot hunt in Morehead.

He refuses to be associated with Morin’s group now because he believes it plants evidence in the forest.

“I think it’s a publicity stunt, plain and simple,” Coffey said. “The Daniel Boone National Forest is a hotbed for activity and it’s a good place to look and they’re making money at it. It’s a good show.”

Morin said his group takes its research very seriously and Coffey is just upset because he is not getting more publicity.

Morin said his group has never planted evidence.

I found this article interesting because Bigfoot has become about money and notoriety. Ghost hunts have been a profitable tourist trap and it seems with the commercial success of the big guy, it appears that Bigfoot hunts are a new money grab. What better to happen on one of these trips than to make SURE you hear a noise or howl or find a print. Now, I have no idea if this happens but, let’s face it, it would be damn easy to do. Lots of people are already out in the woods on the weekends blasting Bigfoot calls, howling into the night or banging on trees. How can you tell the difference?

Anyway, this piece made me laugh. Serious research? It sounds more like buffoonery.

8 comments for “Dueling Bigfoot hunters of Kentucky

1. Chris Howard
    April 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Hattfields and McCoys here we come!

2. spookyparadigm
    April 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Did you look at the url for Coffey’s site before compare/contrasting ghost and bigfoot hunting? http://ghostsandcryptids.com/

From an investigatory perspective, the two shouldn’t have much in common. From a psychological or sociological perspective, on the other hand …

• April 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I have heard Ron Coffey speak. I was NOT impressed.

3. spookyparadigm
    April 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Whereas the Ghost Hunt weekends are part of the website of a vacations company.

I don’t know if this is specifically what Morin means by the “largest paranormal event company” But other events on the site involve TAPS, so I suspect it may be

4. J
    April 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Amazing that even conspiracy confabulators can have their own schisms.
    I forget who said that ignorance begets confidence more than knowledge, but it certainly applies here.

5. RDW
    April 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

That’s a pretty part of the country down there. Cumberland Falls is round about there. If you’re not into tromping through the woods looking for something that doesn’t exist, it wouldn’t be a bad place to take the family, if you have one. There’s a lot of interesting wildlife down there. Birds and bears and elks and stuff.

6. April 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Thanks for the ghost weekend link @spookyparadigm. What a fine idea to fill an out of fashion hotel. Wish I’d come up with the idea when I had a hotel some years ago.

7. April 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Hey, I’m speaking at this event! haha! Above and beyond anything you can be sure my lectures are pretty fantastic, informative and fun. Please make note that I am bias in this review of my lectures.