Did Alex Jones influence Boston bomber?

OK, maybe I do get a case of Schadenfreude on occasion.

Alex Jones Downplays Connection To “Boston Bomber”.

Alex Jones is not surprised that the media is reporting that Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was a fan of his Infowars website, he told BuzzFeed on Tuesday.

“It’s just standard,” Jones said. “Anyone you talk to is familiar with my show. When I go out in public, half the people I meet in this country and in other countries too say they listen to my show. The show is bigger than the mainstream media admits.”

Don’t think TOO highly of yourself Alex. Many people listen just for a laugh or to see how low the bar can go.

He calls his show anti-terrorism. Is it? I don’t listen.

I don’t really care if the bombers were fans of his show. His views incite many others. He continues to make claims that have come out of thin air, manufactured, with no evidence. Someday he may yell “FIRE” in a crowded theatre. Is that defensible? Is he just “asking questions” here? He’s made a very uncomfortable bed to lie in.

Some people believe him.

New Hampshire Republican says Boston bombing was government conspiracy | The Raw Story.

She wrote: “Just as you said would happen. Top Down, Bottom UP. The Boston Marathon was a Black Ops ‘terrorist’ attack. One suspect killed, the other one will be too before they even have a chance to speak. Drones and now ‘terrorist’ attacks by our own Government. Sad day, but a ‘wake up’ to all of us. First there was a ‘suspect’ then there wasnt. Infowars broke the story and they knew they had been ‘found out’.”

Rationality is a rare thing these days.

Tip: Russell G.

8 comments for “Did Alex Jones influence Boston bomber?

1. RDW
    April 24, 2013 at 3:01 AM

The timing of these attacks : “Patriots” Day, and his raging, dogmatic, ranting, incoherent, radio blather…?? I’m not willing to dismiss it as just a coincidence, at all. If it quacks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, it might very well be a duck. And the Gun Control Bill went crashing during all this. That’s a lot of coincidences. Sound Crazy ?? Yes it does. But sometimes crazy things are real.

2. drwfishesman
    April 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM

While it’s only anectdotal evidence. I believe Alex Jones does have a toxic effect on the people who listen to him. A friend of mine listened to him all the time and would get all frothed up at every new theory Jones put out. We shared a lab and would argue over them for long periods at a time when we were doing some mindless chore. He bought a shotgun just before Newtown because he believed the rhetoric Jones was throwing out. Three months ago he wouldn’t drop that shotgun when the police showed up after a domestic call to his house and he was shot three times. He survived, but he is in jail awaiting trial and facing 3 attempted murder charges on top of the domestic abuse charges. This guy was a devout Jehovah’s Witness and solid, good friend to me. I feel that Alex Jones poisoned him and took my friend away.

3. April 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I, for one, have never heard of Alex Jones before today. Mr. Jones is the poster boy for what happened when Ronald Reagan stopped funding the mental hospitals and the patients were left to wonder the streets.

4. One Eyed Jack
    April 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM

@drwfishesman

“Three months ago he wouldn’t drop that shotgun when the police showed up after a domestic call to his house and he was shot three times. He survived, but he is in jail awaiting trial and facing 3 attempted murder charges on top of the domestic abuse charges.”

It sounds more like your friend was already unbalanced. Jones just may have been a catalyst to speed up his travel down a road he was already on.

5. Brian
    April 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM

An alternate theory: Jones is actually working for the govt, to be a pot stirrer. How else could someone act like such a loon and still get a paycheck?!

6. Adam
    April 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Jones emits a continuous stream of “big government”, “New World Order”, “conspiracy”, “false flag”, “gun control” rhetoric. It’s not a stretch to believe that some of his listeners could well take it to heart and commit violent acts because of it. People like Timothy McVeigh held beliefs not dissimilar to what his show espouses.

It’s somewhat surprising one of the Tsarnaevs might have listened to it. They subscribed to another form of insanity although perhaps there is some overlap particularly with regard to zionism and maybe they tapped into some of the same paranoia.

7. drwfishesman
    April 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM

@One Eyed Jack…while I’m sure that’s true that he was already buckling under the stress he was under, it’s been hard to figure out if he started having problems THEN started listening to Alex Jones, or if Infowars came first. I just can’t help replaying the conversations we had where I warned him of the toxic affect that uncritically accepting these ideas was having on him.

8. April 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

There are people who are disturbed, who may be more easily influenced by all sorts of things out there, which is how terrorists and militants and gang members and so on are recruited to begin with — they aren’t all born into whatever violent, crazy life they are in — many choose that life. I’ve never heard of Jones before, but it would not surprise me of someone on the air influenced these guys. I don’t THINK I’ve ever heard Jones, but I’ve heard hateful, disgusting stuff on the radio and on television and even from previous co-workers at times. So it would not surprise me.