Conspiracy Theorists: Predictable. Absurd.

{Commentary}

I can’t and don’t wish to turn this blog into a compendium of Boston Marathon stories but will just bring up anything that I think it really important. There are far better sites that can cover the breaking news. For skeptical analysis and interesting updates, I’d suggest the JREF forum.

Also, here is a preview of tonight’s Virtual Skeptics where CSI’s Conspiracy Guy, Bob Blaskiewicz will talk about the topic. Tune in later tonight here or watch the You Tube video that will capture the hangout (same link).

As we linked to, the “Alex Jones is a jerk” post has gotten huge hits. Not too many Info Wars people came on to yell at me. So, there was a suggestion that several thousand people were Googling “Alex Jones” + “jerk” to reinforce their suspicions. I noted in that post that I indeed violated my own comments policy but there is a point when human decency is lacking and people need to be called out on it. They are doing harm to society – serious harm – by stoking the insane notions that nothing is as it seems, that this was done on purpose as a false flag. It was done on purpose, alright, and THAT is what we need to focus on – go where the investigation takes us. It is completely irresponsible, asinine and disgusting to make up a ludicrous story five minutes after the event based on zero evidence. Alex Jones and his ilk are jerks.

Meanwhile, after the outrage over Sandy Hook truthers, it was easy to predict that any national event would be immediately followed by the conspiracy theorists, the CT-ers. And so it happened. This sparked some forward thinking by an unknown person (WhoIs does not show a contact person) who grabbed some domain names that would have been used to promote CT nonsense.

Boston Marathon Conspiracy Theory Website Is Not What You Think; It’s Actually Pretty Awesome.

It is awesome. Sane people are smarter and quicker than those living in an alternate “IT’S A CONSPIRACY” reality. A few other similar domains were also nabbed.

I’m left to wonder if the CT stuff has reached it’s peak. I don’t connect with many truthers or frequent forums but I suspect that the CT crowd has reached its limit of conversions. Anyone left listening to these outrageous claims is hard pressed to buy them – they are so baseless and stupid.

Could this be the case? Could the immediate flair up of CT theories mean they burn and die out fast? I hope so. You can not reason or have a thoughtful discussion with truthers/denialists/CTers because their argument is not based on logic. At that point, I (trying to be the diplomatic, rational person) say to hell with reason, they deserve to be mocked. Sometimes society has to take a stand against extremists that do harm. Alienating them in the culture is one way to marginalize them from actual discussions. It’s hard to ignore in your face people so it’s time to make them a caricature and just point and laugh.

That’s all I have to say about that.

snopes.com: Boston Marathon Bombing Rumors

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

9 comments for “Conspiracy Theorists: Predictable. Absurd.

1. Gavin
    April 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Maybe the people who deny the conspiracies are as deluded as the people who believe everyone? Both sides need to come at this from a neutral perspective which I don’t believe you do.
    Gavin UK

• April 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

We’re talking evidence here. Anyone can make shit up. To make it up FIVE MINUTES after the story breaks is irresponsible and ridiculous. Trash with no evidence, dripping with ideology and hate, and to deny facts and human decency is not deserving of anything remotely akin to “neutral perspective”.

2. April 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

4chan is running a ridiculous page of photos of potential bombers identified by the backpack used. Among the markers are “same skin tone” and “brown”. Also notes about high tech government equipment. The amount of photos of the scene before the crime is compelling. The conclusions these people jump to are not. I wonder if any of these people have the good sense to send their pictures to the FBI to actually help out instead of trying to win internet notoriety.

3. J
    April 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

While it’s nice to see some people outright refuting most of these nonsense claims, I don’t agre with mockery and alienation, considering the people who like to reinvent their own toothbrush arguments (you can’t use mine, and I don’t want to use anyone else’s) may feel pressured to escalate because that’s how they’ve learned to handle ridicule.
    Oddly, knowledge of these CT people may really just demand ignorance of them, so that no attention doesn’t turn into an accelerant if they get some attention.
    Even now, there’s a divide between ‘someone in custody’ on news websites and news channels saying there’s just confusion about it, so to give these CT people an ear only makes it harder for reporters to do their jobs, which can very easily impact viewer trust, and unfortunately end up working in favor of the CT’s rambling.

4. RDW
    April 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

The bizarre rhetoric of these sorts, the irrational radio freaks and so forth, have bothered me for a very long time. It makes me wonder if they are in fact not just indirectly, but directly involved with this latest horrendous behavior. They insist that no rational controls be placed on guns and ammunition, even though an over-whelming percentage of the nation wants it to be done. Doing something like this would seem like the next logical (?) step that they might take. They sound like they are insane : one might conclude that they are in fact insane, and are hell-bent for destruction. I hope I haven’t overstepped your limits, Ms. Hill. I’m very upset about this, too.

5. Kevin
    April 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I believe that not everything is as it seems. There have been plenty of times in our history where things were hidden from the public. However, making these baseless claims of conspiracy is just fearmongering. The people starting all this BS, like Alex Jones, are just S*** out their A**es. And 5 minutes after the tragedy is just insulting the people who were directly affected by the bombs. I applaud you for posting this.

• April 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Thanks. I needed that. It’s difficult to judge when to be objective and when objectivity is a train long passed.

6. April 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Most of these conspiracy theories need very little investigation to be shown to be bogus. They don’t even make any logical sense, like claiming the principle of Sandy Hook who was killed was interviewed on TV in Boston after the bombs! Really? So you are saying the government would do something that stupid? Or the 9/11 conspiracy theorist saying the BBC was told ahead of time building 7 was going to done in by a controlled demolition and Larry Silversteen admitted to it on TV.

7. April 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I have also noticed that the more extreme conspiracy claims (such as Sandy Hook) have been getting rejected. For example, I regularly associate with a few people who will happily assert that Obama is coming for their guns and Obamacare will bankrupt all of us, etc. But when the subject of the Sandy Hook conspiracy came up, they all dismissed it as utter nonsense.

I doubt it’s a sign that at least this particular group of people are suddenly becoming critical thinkers, but at least there is SOME point at which people say, “Enough is enough.”