Alex Jones, Un-patriot, the first to spout off about “false flag” conspiracy

Oh Alex Jones, you jerk, capitalizing on any attention you can.

Alex Jones: Boston explosion a government conspiracy – Salon.com.

While most observers are witholding judgment about what caused the two explosions at the Boston Marathon this afternoon, right-wing conspiracy theorists already know what’s going on — the government did it and is going to pin the blame on them because today is Patriots’ Day, a special day in the militia movement.

Alex Jones, who has become the country’s preeminent conspiracy theorist, wasted no time. As with 9/11, Sandy Hook and other national tragedies, he sees the Boston explosions as a “false flag” attack committed by the government. The objective this time: Expanding the Transportation Security Administration’s reach to sporting events:

Our hearts go out to those that are hurt or killed #Boston marathon – but this thing stinks to high heaven #falseflag

— Alex Jones (@RealAlexJones) April 15, 2013

He links in Tax Day, Patriots Day, the significance of Boston, the drop in gold value, other numerology, anything he can throw at the wall that will stick.

This is completely expected. Every event these days is immediately warped by the paranoia-mongering groups within hours. Minutes even. They have zero evidence but instead capitalize on the emotion and chaos to gain attention for themselves with outrageous speculation. How is this helping? It’s doing tremendous harm at a time where people should be helping or just being on alert for actual dangers, not imaginary ones.

List any other links you can find on this topic in the comments so we can collect them for people who are interested.

More:
False Flag Attacks: Myth and Reality | Skeptoid.

The Conspiracy Guy – CSI.

37 comments for “Alex Jones, Un-patriot, the first to spout off about “false flag” conspiracy

1. Chris Howard
    April 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

When I first moved to Austin I remember watching Alex on his cable access program, and I remember thinking “Douchebag supreme” and I wasn’t wrong.

It’s a shame, too. Twenty years ago there were so many GOOD shows on Austin cable access. Unfortunately his was the one to survive.

2. F89
    April 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I saw it and immediately wondered how long it would be before the theories started flowing. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of the same kinds of “evidence” trotted out for a CT on the bombing. that we see for so many other things..

3. Matt
    April 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Alex Jones is a puppet to gold merchants and arms manufacturers.

4. RW
    April 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Shouldn’t that also mean that we would consider some extremist militia members doing this? I mean if it’s such an important week to them, why would the government have to make it look like one of them did this… couldn’t one of them actually do it?

5. scott auden
    April 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM

What’s particularly disturbing here is the speed. There aren’t even any details to be misinterpreted. I would love the chance to ask, “hypothetically, what would a genuine attack look like?”

6. Alan Simmons
    April 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

• April 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

We’d need clear evidence of that.

7. Ryan Walter
    April 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

The police knew about the threat the whole time. A training exercise for the very scenario that happened (just like the 7/7 London bombings and 9/11) is too much of a coincidence to me.

• April 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Where is the evidence that these allegations are true!?

8. AmSci
    April 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Actually, this was a far right-wing organization, imitating a far-left organization, imitating Muslim terrorists, imitating the U.S. government performing a false flag operation made to appear like right-wing extremists. And I can say confidently that my assertion has, at least, as much supporting evidence as Alex Jones’ and it’s more convoluted (definitely a plus in the conspiracy theory circles).

9. April 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Our local Libertarian radio has nothing but “oh how is the government going to use this to take away more of our rights and freedoms?” and also “who are they going to get to be the fall guy?” They tore into Obama’s speech, because he PROMISED to find the one that did this “Proof this has been planned ahead of time as they know they have someone already picked out to take the fall for this”. I was “wow” Instead of my usual chuckle (and sometime agreement on issues) I as struck that these people were dangerous. not just funny, or slightly more eccentric than others but basically good, I was struck they were dangerous. It was not “is this a conspiracy” or “Did the government do this”. It was almost “ho hum, in our own backyard, the government did this again”. It’s also to “prove to the American people they supposedly need government to protect them from terrorists”. I was thinking of the video of all the first responders and wondering what TV set they had been watching. I was so proud of the people of Boston and the first responders, and they were “We don’t need these people, it’s just to get people to think we need fire fighters and police” The weird part was their belief that having SO MANY firemen, policemen, EMTs and even those 2 Marines was BAD. To them, it was HUGE GOVERNMENT waste that so many were at a marathon. I was “am I even on the same planet as these people talking?” I saw, brave men and women, that I was so glad were there are they saved so many lives, and they saw “who is paying all these salaries, my taxes are high because of this!”

10. scott auden
    April 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM

It’s neither surprising nor suspicious that the police had dogs working. Anyway, if it was a secret operation put on by the authorities, WHY would there be extra police there? Honestly, half the time the things the conspiracy-loons point to are the best evidence their “theories” are lunacy!

11. Stuart Robbins
    April 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Alex Jones is going to be on Coast to Coast AM tomorrow night for 3 hours (planned last week). I highly encourage everyone to e-mail the producers and say that this is too far, even for them, and they should not be giving this guy a platform.

12. Adam
    April 16, 2013 at 5:16 AM

Ghouls like Alex Jones are always there fanning the flames amongst the paranoid. It doesn’t matter if there is evidence for their assertions – the paranoid never needed evidence in the past and they’re not about to start now.

13. Gabriel Incertis
    April 16, 2013 at 5:21 AM

At least about 9/11 the evidence is not zero. I suppose you are familiar with the Architects and Engineers for 9/11 truth. The problem is that these right-wing conspiracy theorists undermine the rightful objections to some hot issues, turning all them into nonsenses of fools.

14. F89
    April 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM

And I’ve been proven right-the same kinds of arguments are being used to support a CT!
    Question: why wouldn’t the Police/Emergency Responders exercise a possible scenario?
    As for the tweet-could it be that the time it was reported/tweeted was incorrect? And quite frankly, if the Police were going to do controlled detonations, the areas would have been cordoned off, and it would have been widely reported.
    That is a another case of the Super secretive govt slipping up by announcing their intentions, so it could be discovered.

15. Phil
    April 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Please. Note that on 9-11 the towers start to collapse first then air is forced out the sides of the lower floors. If it was an explosion the lower floors would explode first then the upper floors collapse.

16. Geoff Offermann
    April 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Alan Simmons: “nobody finds it suspicious in the least that minutes before the explosions happened the Boston Globe on it’s Twitter page tweeted that the Boston PD would be doing controlled explosions on the 600 block of the same street where the explosions happened?”

*face palm*

The controlled explosion was for a device FOUND by the police. It wasn’t a training exercise. It was real, live demolition of a weapon.

17. F89
    April 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Update: I’ve just heard this :”Why hasn’t there been a faster response by the govt?” implying a effort to cover things up. Of course that runs opposite to the claims of “There were too many emergency personnel there already, the response was too fast!”

18. April 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM

This coach says his wife ran and that there were bomb sniffing dogs everywhere and that people were being told that it was “just a drill” right before the explosion happened. … … eh…the coach is probably a conspiracy theorist; move along, nothing to see here, your government loves you.

• April 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM

OF COURSE there are going to be bomb sniffing dogs at a large public event! Obviously it didn’t work out too well so hopefully that can be examined but nothing is 100% effective. Why would they do a drill during this event? It’s more likely that they didn’t want to scare people and said it’s a precaution. But, conspiracy people will take any normal anomaly and missing bit of information or spurious report and turn it into evidence for their concocted story. That’s sham inquiry and it’s worthless. You must look at the evidence first, not devise an explanation and retrofit.

19. Chris Howard
    April 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Apparently Erik Rush entered the fray, tweeting that we should “kill all the Muslims.” if reference to the bombings.

Oh the twits of the twitter classes.

20. April 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I’d like to clarify some issues about this post and the comments. Yes, I did indeed violate my own policy by calling Alex Jones a “jerk”. The reason is that his behavior goes beyond anything that can be reasonably argued. In some cases, public figures take such extreme views that there is no way to have a discussion about them. You can not falsify conspiratorial claims of this nature because they will continue to just make stuff up. When the fact that there is no evidence means that’s evidence for my nonsense theory, you can not win. I will not allow info wars proponents to spout such nonsense but have allowed some comments through. Actually, surprisingly there have not been too many bad ones though this post has HUGE hits.

So, yes I think Jones is a jerk as do many of us here because he fails at some basic human sensibilities and appears morally bankrupt. Hey, a spade is a spade. Sometimes, you have to say it. I apologize if this does not sit well with some readers.

21. Geoff Offermann
    April 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You got no beef with me. But maybe you should use a term that is less obviously pejorative and more agreeable to a site dedicated to popular nonsense.

Let’s see. I got it! Jackalope!

22. scott auden
    April 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  23. spookyparadigm
    April 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

The problem, as noted, isn’t whether there are “questions” to be asked. They’ll just be made up. The problem is that there is a nihilistic political movement in this country that hates the federal government because it at least makes some moves towards representing Americans they think are either demonic or subhuman. Roots of this movement are quite old, as is its entanglement with paranoia and conspiracy thinking. The thing that has changed is that they’ve been excused and courted by much larger, desperate, political forces and entities. It is somewhat debatable that education has a positive effect in diminishing pseudoscience and other woo that is not politically oriented. But this stuff, education has minimal effect on it. IMHO.

24. April 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Greatest site ever Scott Auden!!! I wish I knew who bought that domain, I would chip in on the cost.

25. Chris Howard
    April 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the conspiracy theory side, regarding what constitutes a claim, and what actually qualifies as evidence. (Good or otherwise)

26. Geoff Offermann
    April 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Well said spooky.

27. Graham
    April 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM

The difference between the 11th of September 2001 and the Boston Bombings is as follows.

Time to CT appearing online

11th of September 2001: About one day.

Boston Bombings: At most five minutes.

28. Brian
    April 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I mentioned in the article about the scammers- from what I can tell, there *is* some group behind the scenes pulling the puppet strings like mad. Who? I dunno. There is a pattern: disaster, scammers, then the consipracy bunch flapping their lips. It’s almost reading like a bad script for a poorly done tv show. Like I said- I dunno who would be doing this, I dont want to speculate (past blaming the church, but then again, I am not a *fan* of religion. I only blame them because I like doing it. :-P) All I know is, I keep seeing a pattern, and it’s just so… for lack of a better term- rehearsed.

I really do think something funny is going on- I just cant do much more than speculate….

29. Brian
    April 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM

@idoubtit:

*reply button seems to have gone away*

I’d say he’s a jerk, too- I dont care if the man is right, wrong, or what- GIVE THE PEOPLE TIME TO MOURN AND GET THEMSELVES BACK TOGETHER! Geeze- let them catch a breath! Bury their dead! It’s one of the reasons why I think there’s something else digging around behind the scenes- the speed at which the scammers and lunatics pour out is mind numbing. Even vultures dont dive in like this. No one gets so much as a chance to sit down and gather their thoughts…. It’s like no one is allowed to.

30. terry the censor
    April 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

The kooks like to use motive as their primary piece of evidence. Who would benefit? To them, only the government, whose duty it is to protect citizens, would benefit from the random murder of citizens.

Insane.

31. Rand
    April 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I’ve got a theory for ya. Alex Jones probably arranged the bombings, because he was blathering about conspiracy before the bombs even went off (rounded off to the nearest hour). He must have known about them ahead of time. And, he said its his parrot day (or unpatriot day or whatever its called). There’s the motive. How could he possibly be so quick to spot evidence of a conspiracy when everyone else is running around in confusion, unless he had planned the whole thing?