Antiscience overtakes science in the Weblog Awards

The “Bloggies” seem to have been gamed by climate change denialists who have scuttled the science category.

Climate sceptics ‘capture’ the Weblog Awards science category.

When this year’s shortlists were released earlier this week, not only was the science or technology category flooded with climate sceptics blogs, but they had also spread into other categories, too, most notably “Best Weblog about Politics”. How, for example, had the Global Warming Policy Foundation come to be shortlisted? Putting aside its thematic focus for one second, all the site largely does is cross-post other people’s content and re-write the headlines. It offers little in the way of original content and, most perplexingly, doesn’t even allow readers to leave a comment.

I asked Nolan if I could see the longlist for both of the mentioned categories to see how extensively climate sceptic blogs featured. He kindly passed them on and what I saw shocked me. Of the 17 blogs longlisted in the science or technology category, 13 (by my reckoning – italicised) were either run by climate sceptics, or popular with climate sceptics.

The absurdity is compounded further still. I probably follow the online climate debate closer than most, but I genuinely had never even heard of some of these climate sceptic blogs…

Yep. Something screwy going on there. A LEGITIMATE skeptical blog, Skeptical Science, was also in the running but they have asked to be withdrawn from the shortlist due to its concerns about the legitimacy of the voting process. Take a look at the list and decide whether that category actually represents science. This is shameful and it also makes the Bloggies credibility go down the tubes.

8 comments for “Antiscience overtakes science in the Weblog Awards

1. March 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I think you have an extra ‘http//’ in your link. :)

2. drwfishesman
    March 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  3. March 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Yes i’m a sceptical believer in a lot of weird phenomenon, but to deny global warming is lunacy, when everyones’ experience is climate change. May be a question if it’s cyclic & a natural change, or man made, or a combination of the two, but it’s happening within our own lifetimes. I got into the science to try & explain my own odd experiences, & try to reassure myself i wasn’t going mad. Yes, i confirmed maybe i am, but not stupid. In our own living memories, the seasons are changing & going haywire. The facts are there, so why deny them? Knowledge, science & reality are being warped & denied by people who should know better. These so called scientists are every bit as bad as the [...] who think every draught of wind & “orb” is a ghost, a wave is a sea/lake monster, etc. Sorry rant over. Think i’m one of the few “paranormal nutters” who enjoy hearing the other view & balance of the sceptics. When you stop questioning you begin to lose balance. Don’t agree with all the posts here, but read them all & question my own objectivity.

4. Chris Howard
    March 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

This is why our fetish with democratizing everything is a bad idea.

5. RDW
    March 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

It would probably be a good idea to limit the voting to one vote per e-mail address. Otherwise, it really isn’t very indicative of a real consensus of opinion. It’s a few people’s opinion a thousand times.

6. March 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Let’s not forget that some prominent skeptic/atheist celebrities have promoted this exact type of behavior –often. When it was pointed out that gaming polls wasn’t beneficial, P.Z. Myers openly mocked Tim Farley for pointing it out. While I no longer read anything he writes, I wouldn’t be surprised if Myers continues the behavior. Perhaps stories like these will cause some reflection. Hey, I’m an optimist.

7. Chris Howard
    March 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I think PZ is the Warren Zevon of the community. ;-) There’s a mad, passionate brilliance about him.

8. One Eyed Jack
    March 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

@The Mad Skeptic

Myers “freeps” internet polls to demonstrate how utterly pointless they are. This isn’t the same as climate change deniers trying to game a poll to obtain an award that increases their credibility. They’re not making a statement about the system. They’re trying to gain from it.