Psychic fair at Ohio U draws big crowds

Another example that education is failing at all levels to teach critical thinking to students.

OU ‘psychic fair’ draws crowd of curious studentsOU ‘psychic fair’ draws crowd of curious students.

Ohio University students showed up in hordes to take a peek into their futures Thursday evening.

Several psychics sat down in Baker Ballroom from 4-8 p.m. for a Psychic Fair organized by the Campus Involvement Center, while winding lines of students waited to be seen.

Everything from rune stone and fingerprint reading to palm reading and tarot cards was available.

Many students seemed satisfied with their readings, and in some cases, even astounded by their accuracy.

There was one slightly skeptical quote at the end of this piece noticing that it’s for entertainment. But what was the point of this fair? Was it appropriate at the school? If people go in unprepared to spot the psychological ploys used in such displays, they may come away more likely to believe there is something to it. Or at least they may be intrigued enough to spend money on such services (even for “fun”) at some future date. Is it just me who finds this disturbing in many ways?

6 comments for “Psychic fair at Ohio U draws big crowds

1. Bob
    February 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Clucking bell. Oh yeah? Well, we have Shermer coming on Wednesday, so take that, Ohio!

Oh would have love to have trolled that. So…so…much.

2. February 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Also, things like this: Complementary, alternative and integrative medicine to be focus of presentation at Lewis University http://www.lewisu.edu/news/newsarticle.htm?PArticleID=9110#.UQ_fBGk-vOY

(Thanks, Bob)

3. RayG
    February 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

You would think that the Psychics would KNOW that there would be large crowds and long waits… And then bring in more Psychics to ease the lines…

• Richard
      February 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

what I love are the psychics who get arrested for perpetrating some kind of fraud — they didn’t see THAT coming!

4. Richard
    February 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I have to admit I have gone to Psychic Fairs — but for the amusement value; I don’t believe Criss Angel can really fly, or that Spock & Kirk command a star ship for the United Federation of Planets or that Narnia can be reached through the bedroom closet … And I particularly love it when they get things so outstandingly WRONG (like telling me I’m going to meet the woman of my dreams — I’m gay, as one example).

5. anonymous
    February 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I actually attend OU, and I don’t think anyone really took it seriously. They put on fun little events for us all the time; this was no different.