The Sheriff in an eastern Oklahoma county said his office is investigating what could be a case of spontaneous combustion.
Sequoyah County Sheriff Ron Lockhart told News On 6 that deputies were called to a house on Bawcom Road, between Sallisaw and Muldrow, around 10:50 a.m. Monday. A neighbor had reported seeing smoke coming out of a home.
Lockhart said they found the nearly completely charred remains of a man in the kitchen, but that there was no other damage done to the home.
The sheriff said he’s never seen anything like it and is not ruling out spontaneous combustion. But why rule it in? There’s not been a explanation for how SHC (spontaneous human combustion) COULD occur let alone that it does occur. Note this in the piece, the victim was a 65 year old man who was an alcoholic and a smoker. Those are COMMON traits for these cases. It’s irresponsible to posit such an extreme explanation when they have not done an investigation. This kind of “headline” promotes the idea of SHC as real. People only remember the vague suggestion, not the final result.
Many of the modern SHC stories have originated with police and fire investigators who have been perplexed by partially burned corpses near unburned rugs or furniture. They are completely baffled as to how a body could burn down to ashes except for a leg or a foot, while the rest of the room avoids being consumed by the flames.
UPDATE: This latest report focuses on the fact that the man was a heavy drinker and smoker and had poor hygiene. They have appeared to rule out the “spontaneous” part and are looking into the source of ignition.
However, this story continues to be headlined in a way highly suggestive of SHC.
Tip: Fortean Times