Discovery Institute thrashes geology professor with wet noodle

Callan Bentley is an assistant professor of geology at Northern Virginia Community College. He recently got a request from the Discovery Institute (a Creationist think tank) to use some of his geologic photos in one of their publications. Hilarity ensued from the DiscoTute.

The Discovery Institute feels sorry for my students – Mountain Beltway – AGU Blogosphere.

He replied to the request:

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your interest.

I hold the Discovery Institute in the lowest regard, and it sounds like the new book will be a further perversion of reason in the name of pseudoscience. As a science educator, I could never support such an effort! I will not grant reproduction rights to any of my photos or drawings to any creationist effort such as the one you describe here.

Best wishes for your good health, and the speedy demise of the sham institution that employs you.

Callan Bentley

Not to leave Bentley to have the last word…

[...] I only hope the materialist, reductionist scales fall off your eyes one day. Until then, I feel sorry for your students.

Yours,
Andrew McDiarmid

What self-righteous scumbaggery.

They continued to banter back and forth about science and peer review, which is a joke in itself. Talk about blinders!

Bentley goes on to note how McDiarmid is confused about how science works. Creationists have a tendency to think science works by democracy – if enough people BELIEVE then that makes it true. Nope. Fail. The idea that there was a creator, or that there is an intelligent designer continually fails miserably in science. When it invokes a supernatural entity, it doesn’t even qualify as science!

I found this piece interesting. No, I don’t feel one bit sorry for Bentley’s students. He’s on the ball and they need to learn reality. They are lucky! Poor kids that have to limit their worldview to ONE old boring book… not even good pictures in there.

Tip: NCSE

13 comments for “Discovery Institute thrashes geology professor with wet noodle

1. February 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM

WAS THE NOODLE INJURED IN ANY WAY!?!?!

2. RDW
    February 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I like the part in the Bible where the flying saucer lands and a Bigfoot comes out. Oh wait, that was just a fantasy. Sorry. My mistake.

3. February 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

“Creationists have a tendency to think science works by democracy”

Politicians also believe this and that they can legislate against it if required.

4. February 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Ah, the patronisingly superior tone of the truly deluded. I recognise the tone from a spate of Creationist comments on my blog recently. They think we’re delusional idiots. This is almost the definition of irony.

5. Luke
    February 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I like it when creationists use moral arguments to try and disprove evolution … “If evolution is true, then we should all try to kill everyone weaker than us, because evolution says survival of the fittest … so god must be true”. I also like the fact that often the word evolution encompasses all astronomical and geological processes that happen over a long period of time, and the word natural selection might as well be dutch.

• Phil
      February 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Fittest, of course, means best fitted or suited to the environment not the one who does the most sit ups. In an island or desert with limited caloric resources, the “fit” one who requires the most calories will be at a disadvantage over a smaller individual who would require fewer resources. Spelling it out, just in case.

• Chris Howard
        February 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM

My fav is how beta males who are relegated to “guard duty” of the parameter will make a distinct call if a predator is near. The alpha males rush out to defend the troop against the threat, meanwhile the beta males rush in, to “protect” the females, pitch a little woo, and leave.
        The alphas return a bit puzzled that no predators were to be found, and the betas get to pass on their DNA.

• Brian
      February 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM

They do realize that the first to go would be THEM….. Then again, religion has been trying to exterminate the weak for millennia. Quite the paradox, if you ask me!

6. Chris Howard
    February 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Not to be too snarky, but isn’t “creationist think tank” a oxymoron?

• February 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I actually paused when I wrote that. They do think, just differently.

• Chris Howard
        February 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM

So they’re Mac users? ;-)

• Brian
          February 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Hey now! ;) some of us went Mac because windows drove us nuts.

• Chris Howard
            February 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I started out in advertising, Apple IIe, then the first B&W Mac, with Photoshop 1.0… once you go Mac… ;-)