One of Cracked.com‘s feature articles today list the main reasons why our website, Doubtful News, exists and shows you how to spot a bad news story right off the bat.
The 5 reasons listed are:
* It’s World-Changing News from Some Obscure Website
* It’s From the F**king Daily Mail (or Another U.K. Tabloid)
* It’s Predicting Some Future Disaster by a Strangely Specific Date
* It’s a Poll Disguised as a News Story
* It’s About a Miracle Cure for Obesity, Cancer, or Clean Energy
It’s well worth a read, so head on over there and read it through.
We here at Doubtful News especially agree on the part about Daily Mail and other UK tabloids (we’d add Natural News to that list) and rarely use those as a source. But as you’ll notice, these are a good guide to spotting a bogus story.
This is a good time to remind readers of our mission. It’s not a debate site, it’s a way to focus on news story with a critical eye – what you should look out for, the questions to ask, the red flags to spot. We provide the alternate view from a credulous media. If you hear one of these stories going round the internet, please link to the Doubtful News version for that other angle. We very much appreciate it.