Asian astrologers deliver nonsense about Year of the Snake

Asian astrologers warn of stormy Year of Snake

A stock market slide, escalated conflict between Japan and China and more Gangnam-styled success for South Korean singer Psy will shape the incoming Year of the Snake, say Asian soothsayers.

Those who make predictions according to the study of feng shui — or literally “wind-water” — are influential in many parts of Asia, where people adjust their lives or renovate houses and offices based on the advice.

As they bid farewell to the Year of the Dragon, the fortune tellers warn that the “black water snake” that emerges to replace it on February 10 — the first day of the Lunar New Year — could be a venomous one that brings disaster.

According to the piece, snake years are associated with disasters: September 11 terrorist strikes, 1989 Tiananmen protests, Pearl Harbor attack in 1941, 1929 stock market collapse. But this is selective data picking. All years have huge disasters associated with them.

This article is COMPLETELY uncritical and includes more than a dozen bits of nonsense, possibly contradicting, from the various astrologers quoted. If the stars can tell us these things, why don’t they match up? Why aren’t they more precise? Because this is a pile of utter nonsense. Does it cause harm to believe in astrology? Some would say no but when the world’s most powerful people and leaders make decisions based on garbage instead of research, probabilities and facts, that leads to trouble.

Astrology: More like Religion than Science

year_of_the_snake

8 comments for “Asian astrologers deliver nonsense about Year of the Snake

1. Chris Howard
    February 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I think your headline could have stopped at “Asian astrologers deliver nonsense.” ;-)

• February 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

You’re right. But it’s important to get keywords into titles so more people might find “nonsense” if they search for “year of the snake”. There is method to my madness. :-)

• James Newton
        February 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I’m impressed. It’s like some kind of reverse misinformation campaign.

• February 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

No. Just proper search engine optimization.

2. Peebs
    February 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for your translation/transliteration of Feng Shui.
    I always thought it translated to ‘Gullible Women with more money than sense’.
    Apologies for the apparent casual misogyny but in the Western World it would seem to be the fairer sex who falls for this rubbish.

• AmSci
      February 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM

“…it would seem to be the fairer sex who falls for this rubbish.”

Some of these bullshit artist seem to target women. I only wish we did as good a job of that in the skeptic community. Perhaps we could start by being a bit more respectful towards our skeptical sisters?

3. Nos482
    February 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM

The stars don’t lie; astrologers on the other hand…

4. RDW
    February 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

What some people believe is truly bizarre. Some of the nicest, hardest working people I have contact with are Chinese (I guess.Didn’t ask.), and I’m pretty sure they don’t take horoscopes and feng shui seriously, but a lot of people do. Nancy Reagan, for one, who held a lot of sway over her husband, actually had astrology “experts” visiting the White House !!! I think I’ll get some Chinese food tomorrow and see if I can figure out if the people who run the restaurant believe in horoscopes. I wouldn’t want to insult them though. Their chicken Lo Mein is just too good to risk having them mad at me.