The ego of Oz apparent in this New Yorker piece

This piece is currently the most popular on the New Yorker site.

Michael Specter: Is Dr. Oz Doing More Harm Than Good? : The New Yorker.

“How are consumers to know what is real and what is magic? Because Mehmet offers both as if they were one.”

I asked if he would place his confidence in a heart surgeon, no matter how gifted, who operated just once a week, as Oz does. “Well,” he replied, “in general you want a surgeon who lives and breathes his job, somebody who is above all devoted to that.” Again he mentioned Oz’s experience, but when I asked if he would send a patient to Oz for an operation, he looked uncomfortable. “No,” he said. “I wouldn’t. In many respects, Mehmet is now an entertainer. And he’s great at it. People learn a lot, and it can be meaningful in their lives. But that is a different job. In medicine, your baseline need has to be for a level of evidence that can lead to your conclusions. I don’t know how else you do it. Sometimes Mehmet will entertain wacky ideas—particularly if they are wacky and have entertainment value.”

Loving that Dr. Oz is getting the critical attention he so richly deserves. But this is not enough. As the article moves on you see Dr. Oz becoming more and more of a slimy salesman.

His goal “To empower you to take control of your health” is done through offering people worthless and wrong-headed, antiscientific information from alt med peddlers and psychics. How is that empowering? It’s stupid-inducing. Oz is all ego. Pretty sickening.

7 comments for “The ego of Oz apparent in this New Yorker piece

1. Peebs
    January 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I’m not sure if I’m glad that ‘Dr Oz’ had not been shown in the UK.

It’d be nice to comment, but we get crap like Oprah (and I’m not impressed the spellchecker on my mobile recognised her name).

2. Bobbi Snow
    January 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Dr. Oz – for all of his entertainment aspects – was (and probably still IS…) a very good heart surgeon. Just because he doesn’t perform surgery as often, doesn’t mean he can’t or wont… I’d trust him.

If someone goes from driving 80 miles a day to work and the store, to doctor appointments, etc., and then retires and doesn’t have to drive every day, does that make them a worse driver?! I’m not sure that’s true.

EXAMPLE: I used to drive more than 1000 a week when I worked. I retired in 1992, and haven’t driven more than a thousand to appr. 2500 miles in a year, since… Yet, the only accidents I’ve been involved in were rear-end accidents wherein I was stopped at a light, or stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross in a crosswalk and was struck from behind – both times by someone driving a TUNDRA truck. (Scary!)

I drive about 2500 miles a year – to the other side of Phoenix from Los Angeles and back – and the rest of my travels take me to the market (1.5 miles) once every 3 days, to the vet (8 miles round-trip) at least 3 times a month, and to the drug store and the carwash, 3 times a month (5 miles round-trip). I have slowed down on my trips through the desert (used to make it to Laughlin, NV in less than 3 hours from L.A. and to Kingman, AZ in about 4 hours and 20 minutes), but now I’m older, but my mind is still sharp, and I don’t fool with the radio, changing CDs, playing with the MP3 gadget, or talking on my hands-free blue tooth. I continuously watch my rearview mirrors, check the movements of the tires of the cars passing me (defense driving) and never follow too closely. I’ve had NO tickets, no accidents, and no near-misses in over 15 years. AAA literally LOVES me! And so does the DMV. I haven’t had to take a driver’s test to get my license renewed since I was 40 years old because of my clean record. Of course that will change when I turn 70 in 3 more years, but I stay informed on the laws and the constant changes thereto, and for as long as I’m well enough to drive, I have no doubts my faculties will be intact – whether I drive 2500 miles a year or not.

I think as long as Dr. Oz works one day a week, and keeps informed on the new information and spends time to observe them before he does them, he’s just fine for surgery. And he’s a LOT younger than I am! I think most doctors are jealous of his celebrity.

• January 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM

This is by no means comparable.

The medical field requires constant attention to current research and keeping up to date on new innovations. Dr Oz is also the head of some committees and such. How does he manage to do it all? He’s spread pretty thin. From this article, it shows his major push seems to be being in the public eye, not doing the best work.

No one said he wasn’t a good heart surgeon. In fact, they sort of did say he was. I don’t find people feeding the public a load of quackery to be entertaining. I think it borders on unethical, for a doctor who is bound to do their best for people. This is not it.

• Rick
        January 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

and like Sanjay Gupta, Dr Oz can make more money as an entertainer and not worry about those pesky malpractise premiums & lawsuits ….

3. RayG
    January 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

And I have to bite my lip at family functions because a family member works as a PA for Dr. Oz… Conversations often turn to the oogey boogey side, and then ANOTHER family member kicks in with the “Oriental Medicine” side of the equation after recently ‘graduating’ from the Pacific College of Oriental Mdicine. I get up and leave.

4. January 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Orac comments on the New Yorker piece. Is devastating.

The Great and Powerful (Dr.) Oz, dissected in The New Yorker – Respectful Insolence.

Indeed, I sense in Oz something I’ve seen in other doctors before, namely arrogance that rises to such a level that they think that their judgment should overrule science when they see fit. Unfortunately, these days, Dr. Oz sees fit a lot.

5. Doc Holliday
    February 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Doctor OZ actually had Theresa Caputo “The Long Island Medium” on the show and let her do textbook cold readings on the audience as I recall…sorry, but that was the final nail in the coffin for Ozzy.