Rick Perry: “Demons” did it

Demons. The last refuge of a scoundrel.

Rick Perry says prayer more effective than gun control | ksdk.com.

In a statement responding to President Barack Obama’s executive actions to reduce gun violence, [Texas Governor Rick] Perry says he’s “disgusted” by what he calls the “political left” using the Connecticut school massacre to push for greater restrictions on guns.

The governor says, “The sad young man who did that in Newtown was clearly haunted by demons and no gun law could have saved the children in Sandy Hook Elementary from his terror.”

I have no response since it’s hard to know where to begin to address such a superstitious and closed-minded worldview.
devil-winning

7 comments for “Rick Perry: “Demons” did it

1. Donna
    January 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Perry is the REAL demon.

2. January 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

If it weren’t for the good ole boy network he wouldn’t be “gubner in cheef.” I’m just glad he didn’t get elected president.

3. January 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I expect that if Perry believes this he will start a crusade against capital punishment as a person cannot be responsible for being demon-possessed.

But I won’t hold my breath

4. Phil
    January 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Using Perry’s logic murderers should get an exorcism not jail time.

5. Chris
    January 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM

While I think his views on the effectiveness of prayer, secularism and its role in the changes we have seen in our society is way off base, I’m just not reading what he said as a claim of literal demonic possession. Maybe I am being too forgiving but in my experience the phrase “Haunted by demons” is much more commonly used to refer to someone with mental problems, even by believers in Christianity.

I know that a link was provided to a more complete description of his comments but as this particular article was written it very easily could be perceived as a case of quote mining and just don’t think it serves the cause of reason and science to even remotely appear to be engaging in tactics so heavily favored by proponents of creationism, global climate change deniers and conspiracy theorists.

My apologies if that comes across as overly critical, I don’t mean it to be.

• January 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I appreciate your comments. It was not me who framed the story in this way but the original source. It does happen that it could be a case of quote mining and a small stub is made out to be the main story. Sadly, I’m not sure I can say that here. I see too many cases of politicians on the right asserting their religiosity over reason and debasing science as some bad thing (if you are a regular reader, you see that often on here). That’s appalling and it’s this anti-science rhetoric that draws rather reasonable people who happen to subscribe to a certain political view away from supporting better education and better ways of fixing societies problems.

One thing, if it was a case of quote mining and there was a larger context to this story, it would be great if we could see that posted here in the comments. I want to get it right and point that out.