Oregon howls attributed to Sasquatch

Does Bigfoot go bump in the night?

Bigfoot or animals? Strange sounds coming from swamp on Umatilla Indian Reservation | OregonLive.com.

The eerie late-night serenades began in November and emanate from a brushy swamp on the Umatilla Indian Reservation east of Pendleton. The cries range from high-pitched screams to basso profundo roars.

“It’s causing an uproar around here,” said Sylvia Minthorn, who lives in a tribal housing unit near the swamp, where she used to play as a child.

“It’s kind of spooky,” she said. “Some say it’s foxes, some say it’s a female coyote and some say it’s Sasquatch. I don’t know what it is.”

Some tenants of the reservation’s 190 rentals and 32 homes admitted being afraid and one man reported that his dogs were too terrified to go outside, said Josh Franken, the housing authority’s interim director.

So the dogs were too terrified to go outside. It does not mean they were scared of a Bigfoot. They heard a noise and probably identified it as a predator.

Armand Minthorn, Sylvia Minthorn’s uncle and a tribal spiritual leader, said he may have stumbled onto evidence of Bigfoot’s presence while hunting in the Blue Mountains many years ago.

“Right in the middle of the road was this great big footprint,” perhaps 16 or 18 inches long and manlike, he said. The enormous stride carried it across the road, leaving one footprint in the middle, he said.

How was the footprint visible? Mud, dirt, water? We hear many of these stories but they can’t often be confirmed or verified as to the person’s interpretation. Memories gets warped.

bigfoot_forestOne does love a good Bigfoot story? It’s interesting that the current pop culture, hot on the story that Bigfoot is EVERYWHERE, gives license to call anything and everything mysterious a Bigfoot.

A few other points in this story to ponder: How do we view the native stories of a large wild man as relating to our modern view of Bigfoot? It was clear they thought of the creature as spiritual, not flesh and blood. Also, there are too many options in this story for what it could be. The jump to “Bigfoot” is unwarranted considering no one ever established it exists. All you can say is that it is unidentified. For now.

Here is the “bigfoot-howl” audio recording. The sound is loud, for sure, but beyond that not much else can be made of the audio. It is too distorted.

The Macaulay Library is the world’s largest and oldest scientific archive of biodiversity audio and video recordings. You can hear foxes and coyotes there.

Addition: ABC News goes with the opinion of Matt Moneymaker. Really. Just awful.

“You are Not Entitled to Your Own Bigfoot Facts” – CSI.

13 comments for “Oregon howls attributed to Sasquatch

1. spookyparadigm
    January 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I swear I’ve heard a recording of a similar sound before. I can’t remember what it was. I know that at one point, the sound breaks into a repetitive section with breaks, and that it was something that sounded weird but was mundane. It’s been bugging me since yesterday.

• spookyparadigm
      January 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Found it. Aztec whistles, reconstructed. There are several videos of people making their own on ebay. I’m not saying that’s what it is, but the sound reminded me of it tremendously.

2. Vinny
    January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I made a similar sound late last night when I stubbed my toe on the way to the bathroom.

• Bob
      January 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Oddly, when I do that, I scream, “Yowlie!”

3. Jon Oliver
    January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

The statement “It was clear they thought of the creature as spiritual, not flesh and blood,” is overarching and not really accurate. The legends of some Northwestern tribes (I’m thinking Kootenai, Nez Perce, and Yakima, specifically) seem to portray bigfeet as a flesh-and-blood creatures: potentially dangerous animals, or animalistic men, to be avoided. I’m not trying to be a bigfoot apologist, just disagreeing with this one sentence.

• January 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Good point. But how do we know that? I’m unclear on how to extrapolate native legends to current legends. They certainly changed along the way. Culture evolves. I don’t think that holds as evidence that the creature is real. And I’m not inclined to go the supernatural route. What can we do with stories like this?

• January 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM

You both bring up valid points. The sentence should probably be edited to read more along the lines of “…some think of the creature as spiritual…”.

I ask though, is the context of this story, is it even necessary to try and extrapolate? Whether or not we’re talking about a spiritual or physical manifestation of Bigfoot…we’re still talking about a Bigfoot.

• January 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

“I’m thinking”, and “seem to portray”, aren’t too terribly accurate either, you must admit. And in Sharon’s defense, she’s closer to the truth than anyone who says that the Native Americans believed in a flesh and blood creature.

All over the internet I read about how the Native Americans believed in a large hairy hominid; Big Brother, Protector, etc, but almost nothing I’ve read has offered sources. I have followed the rare sources where I could, and found that they were actually speaking of a spiritual or supernatural creature, which fell in line with nearly all Native American myths.

I have spoken with members from a diversity of tribes, and have yet to find more than a few who were taught to believe in Bigfoot, or Sasquatch, or any of the dozens of other names listed on the internet. Most said they were merely bogeyman stories to discourage the children from wandering.

I spoke to an elderly Navajo a few years ago, and he said what I’ve come to embrace as the strongest truth: “If you want to see Indians who believe in Bigfoot, watch more TV.”

4. January 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Doesn’t sound too dissimilar to the urban foxes I hear where I live, so I’d definitely assume something along those lines long before I arrived at the Bigfoot conclusion. Not sure if I can link to YouTube, but here goes: http://youtu.be/lfJuZzsQR_A

My dog ran away and hid while I was playing the video :)

• oldebabe
      January 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Sounds to me like a lonesome dog, and maybe tied up, or caught…

5. January 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for the link. You’re right, it doesn’t sound too dissimilar to the urban foxes.

Listen to that clip if you get a chance. Accounting for expected distortions due to the howl bounding off the trees in swamp, to the layman’s ear is that not an almost identical match?

• oldebabe
      January 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

You are probably right about it being foxes, but they don’t have to be urban, i.e. these sound like the cries of a fox that had been hanging around my cabin when I lived in the southern Sierra, and that I ascertained had been caught one night by local coyotes and screamed as it was being carried away.

6. January 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

For a slightly different take on this story, check out our friends over at Who Forted?