I’m not lion, but it was just a dog

This is just an oddity but I couldn’t resist.

Norfolk 911 calls for ‘baby lion’ turn up a coiffed dog | HamptonRoads.com

Although it was actually a uniquely groomed dog roaming loose, three callers to 911 on Tuesday reported a baby lion, the city of Norfolk said today.

Two calls came after 10 a.m. on Granby Street near the zoo and on Llewellyn Avenue.

About 1:20 p.m., another 911 caller reported seeing a baby lion on Colley Avenue at 50th Street.

“I’d like to report a lion sighting,” one caller said.

“Say that again?” a dispatcher replied.

Many house cats (large ones at least) have been mistaken for wild or African cats. Some dogs have certainly been mistaken for hellhounds. But this one was pretty funny. Is this the first time he has come out with his new hairdo? Why was the owner not with him? I suspect this is some pretty nice PR for the guy’s shop. The dog looks cute.

7 comments for “I’m not lion, but it was just a dog

1. mxyzptlk
    January 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Heh. We have new coyotes neighbors around us (also in Virginia — they’re moving back in), and we’ve seen them before poking around the parking lot. One morning, just before I was about to take our beagles out, my wife said she saw a coyote go behind the apartment dumpster. Knowing coyotes are kinda skittish, I went out to see what was up and thought I’d scare it out. I grew up in coyote country and never had much trouble spooking them away from a human-inhabited area.

As I approached I could hear some rustling around behind the dumpster, and I carefully peeked around the corner. The coyote was siting there as sweetly as could be and meowed at me. It was a local cat.

It’s been three years, and I still don’t let my wife live that one down.

2. D. Walker
    January 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM

That actually does look a lot like a lion. Especially if You were drunk and listening to The Band.

• January 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I agree. Two of the sighting apparently happened near a zoo. I can totally understand the callers not trying to get a closer look at the animal before calling 911. I sure as heck wouldn’t go in for a closer look if I spotted what appeared to be a baby lion near a zoo. LOL.

3. spookyparadigm
    January 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Shaving that dog that way is begging for it to get shot.

• Horsehair Braider
      January 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

No. It is not the dog’s haircut that is asking for trouble – it’s the owner allowing it to roam free that is the problem.

4. Joy Morris
    January 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM

The pizzeria where that footage was taken is at the end of my street. I moved there in the spring and the dog was sporting that ‘do even then. My first thought when I saw him the first time was “Hey, someone sure is an ODU fan. They’ve shaved their poodle to look like a lion” (Old Dominion University Monarchs) Charles generally keeps himself to either the garden center up the street or the aforementioned pizzeria. In my opinion this should help illustrate how unreliable eyewitnesses can be.

5. sealpath