“Hovering UFO” is unsolved, not “proof” of anything

This story, of a photo taken back in July, is currently making the rounds on UFO websites. All we have to go on is a MUFON report.

Landing of “Disc Shaped UFO” Captured on Security Camera | Who Forted? Magazine.

A UFO witness from Cotulla, Texas claims to have captured the landing of a “disc shaped ufo” on a security camera, a new MUFON report reveals. The image shows what appears to be a thin, circular object hovering above the ground, with three visible lights that look to be in motion at the time the image was grabbed.

Here is the witness’ words from the report:

My father works in an oil company here in Texas, and they had noticed that some people were taking the crude oil in the night. So they started putting cameras up around the areas. One night one camera caught a UFO. The news had spread throught the workers and they soon emailed to my father. My father had sent it to me and now Im posting it here on mufon. When I saw the picture I couldnt believe how the shape was, it was what I had expected. More so since it was also hovering off the ground. I was used to different ufos mainly because I have seen some since I was a kid. It really got to me that I now have proof of the existence of these entities.

ufo landing

Well, this is certainly not “proof”. It’s unidentified. As mentioned in the Who Forted piece, one would hope there is video or another picture that does NOT include the object. Otherwise, we are left with not much to go on here. A distorted picture of normal object? A hoax? Certainly NOT proof of alien entities. Perhaps MUFON can do an investigation and solve this. That’s their job.

9 comments for ““Hovering UFO” is unsolved, not “proof” of anything

1. Chris Howard
    January 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I don’t know. Therefore alien spacecraft.

• January 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Yeah. Argument from ignorance isn’t a good one.

• Chris Howard
        January 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

True. I’m just glad I rediscovered Doubtful News! I usually got my fix over at Skeptic.com.

Thanks again for everything you do. It’s really appreciated.

2. Skiavalanche
    January 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM

It appears to be a quickly moving car with it’s emergency flashers or turn signal on. Due to the darkness, the cameral would have a slow shutter speed with would make the car an out of focus streak, while ther bright, blinking lights would show a distinct pattern.

3. January 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Taking crude oil in the night? If these alien rocket scientists haven’t progressed beyond crude oil as a fuel, how did they make it across the galaxy? Since the photo is apparently taken using an infra red light source, the glowing lights on the object are likely to be nothing more than reflected light from the side markers on a flat bed trailer or something similar.

4. January 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Once again we have a single frame from a security camera. Surely there is more than that to the security footage. There has to be at least a frame in front of and in back of this frame, what is in those? What does the entirety of the tape look like?
    if the frame just before and the one just after show no sign of this ‘craft’, why did they select this single frame to look at?

Why is it that people that apparently want to be believed, continually also appear to withhold ‘evidence’?

There is no good way to evaluate such paltry ‘evidence’.

5. D.Walker
    January 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I’d guess it were a crude construction, cheaply made from plastic and/or cardboard. It was probably made with the same motive as the crop circle fakers : a cheap thrill at having fooled a few people and a few minutes of fame. I’d think it were sitting on cinder blocks or some such thing.

6. Brian
    January 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I am thinking photo manipulation. It’s blurry near the camera, typical security cam footage (sorta blurry), and then BAM! This really clear UFO with lights and ground reflections and everything. There is also something about the lighting that is making my spidey sense go off.

7. Jimmy Joe
    January 25, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Looks just like my flatbed trailer I haul equipment on. Same light configuration on sides amber color, and red on the back end. I’d bet my trailer that is what it is…