CNN goes for ratings over sanity with Morgan and Jones debate

CNN is news network? More like nutty network.

Conspiracy nut Alex Jones goes bananas on Piers Morgan’s show.  All good fun, but Jones doesn’t speak for gun owners

Alex Jones appeared on Piers Morgan’s show last night to explain why Piers should be deported from the US. Jones is a Right-wing radio star who deals in wide-eyed conspiracy theories of the “Queen Elizabeth is a Communist Lizard” variety. So, predictably, Jones brought on the crazy.

His main points:

1. The US government is killing everyone with suicide pills, otherwise known as “Prozac”

2. Britain is something between an anarchy and a police state

3. Barack Obama is building himself up to an all-out war against the suckers who voted for him

4. The only people in the world capable of resisting the New World Order tyranny are those with guns.

The authors conclusion? Jones is a “fruit loop”. While we don’t condone calling people names, sometimes it really does fit. There is nothing logical to say about Jones and his paranoid rants. They are not based in fact or reality. To have such a debate on TV elevates Jones to a place of prominance (though he already has that) and should not have been done. Nice for ratings, but you just legitimized some illegitimate nonsense in some people’s eyes.

<sarcasm on>Nice going CNN. Now lunatic ideas are legitimate news.

14 comments for “CNN goes for ratings over sanity with Morgan and Jones debate

1. Some Guy
    January 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Those Crazy right wing weirdos make me wish I owned a gun, so that I could shoot my radio and TV when they come on. But that would get kind of expensive, I guess.

• January 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Just don’t watch. I don’t.

2. Chris Howard
    January 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Alex is such a weird phenomena to me. When I move to Austin twenty-some odd years ago, he was this local access TV guy that no one, that I knew, had heard of, or took very seriously.

He was all the rage at the mental hospital that I worked at. Scary thing is the patients laughed, they knew it was BS. It was the staff that couldn’t stop listening.

So weird.

3. spookyparadigm
    January 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM

1.) He’s been a repeat guest on Fox News, and not in a hostile to the network role.

2.) He’s been on History Channel at least once, in an episode of one of their BS shows, about Bohemian Grove.

3.) And in case everyone has forgotten, while Jones is a constant pitchman for “prepper” products of all sorts, his ideology is far less mainstream than that clip suggests. He believes that at a bare minimum, “the globalists” are a cult who believe they worship extradimensional beings that they contact through drug-induced altered states, and that they intend to use the Large Hadron Collider and other methods to let these beings into our plane of existence, in exchange for promises of wealth and immortality. Jones is playing to a growing paranormal synthesis on the populist right in America, a new form of demonology.

Here’s the clip, as well as some commentary from me on how this fights into that growing demonology (and how closely Jones’ beliefs resemble pulp fiction, and how Jones is not the only conspiracy theorist to do so).

And here is the citation for an article I read this weekend, which does some of the legwork of showing how ufology is a blend of Theosophy and Christian demonology, and I’d argue that the latter half has surged in the time since that article was written. The elements were there back then, but it is now an increasingly open synthesis of Nephilim, ancient aliens, alternative archaeology, UFOs, conspiracy theory, and elements of creationism and cryptozoology.

Partridge, Christopher
    2004 Alien demonology: the Christian roots of the malevolent extraterrestrial in UFO religions and abduction spiritualities. Reason 34:163-189

4. January 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Wow, that was very smart of Morgan. There are few high-profile(ish) guests he could have had on that could have made his pro-gun deportation detractors look worse. I can’t believe Jones was stupid enough to take the bait, although I guess his fevered gibberish is more likely attributable to untreated schizophrenia than stupidity.

• spookyparadigm
      January 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

No, it’s about expanding his brand and self-marketing. His entire career is about self-promotion as a “truth-teller.” He runs several websites which are clearing houses for conspiracy theory, and he is a paid spokesperson for pretty much every survivalist product in existence (emergency seeds, storable food, water filtration systems, precious metals [just like Glenn Beck] come to mind immediately, I know there are others). In this sense, he’s not that different from other incredibly reckless political pundits and “entertainers” that make their bank off of political believers prepared to be angry or scared, even if their outrageousness hurts their larger political movement (while there are any number, Rush Limbaugh’s multi-day high profile attacks on Sandra Fluke last year almost certainly were a huge contribution to Republicans losing seats in the U.S. Senate. But then, he’s going to make more money with Democrats in charge, won’t he?).

5. Mr. Shreck
    January 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Funny how the marketing of outrage in search of ratings is essentially indistinguishable from a clever ploy to disparage the opposition by associating them with the most fringe lunatic you can find to “debate” the “other side” of a topic.

• spookyparadigm
      January 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM

You’re right, they should have chosen someone sensible, like Wayne LaPierre.

6. Moose McNuggets
    January 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

We need a balanced and sober conversation right now about a very serious topic: how do we balance legitimate gun ownership with the need to keep high powered weapons out of the hands of crazy people. It’s not an easy thing to determine, and it will require some trial and error before we can even hope to get it right. It will also require some reasonable compromises from both gun advocates and gun control supporters. What isn’t needed right now is for the media to be out there promoting the extremists on either side of the debate. All they’ll ever do is derail any progress toward a fair solution. As a gun owner who favors somewhat stricter controls, I’m appalled by what CNN has done. This was absolutely irresponsible.

7. spookyparadigm
    January 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I’m not sure I agree with the “What CNN has done” critique here from several people

First, all manner of people pro and con gun regulations have been on CNN and other channels. I joked about LaPierre above, but that’s because he was heavily featured in a ludicrous press conference, and then on at least one major media outlet, defended the press conference. So it’s not like there is some conspiracy to only show the fringiest gun supporters.

Second, apparently Jones is the man who started the petition for the White House to deport Morgan. As much as it may or may not harm the gun supporters, having Jones on to confront the man he’s petitioned the United States government to remove from the country, isn’t all that absurd. Of course CNN knew who and what Jones is. But while it’s a stunt, it’s also a fairly logical one. It’s not Morgan’s fault that Jones is so successful on the populist right that there is a legitimate argument to be made that Glenn Beck and others have stolen his bit.

• Mr. Shreck
      January 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Thanks for the context. I didn’t realize Jones was behind the petition because I pay even less attention to him than I do to CNN. I don’t know who Wayne LaPierre is, but I have the feeling my life might be best served by keeping it that way. :-)

• spookyparadigm
        January 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

President of the NRA, massively criticized after he delivered an angry tirade against critics of guns as the NRA’s response to Sandy Hook.

8. Russell
    January 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I’d rather take a beating than watch either Piers Morgan OR Alex Jones, let alone the both of them! With the size of their egos I’m surprised they could fit in the same room.

9. January 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Alex Jones. Never met a conspiracy theory he didn’t like. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alex_Jones