Actress Somers opines about toxins affecting mass murderer’s brain

Every once in a while, a person says something so profoundly stupid that we have to call a spade a spade and call them idiotic. When it’s a “celebrity”, it’s even worse because for some strange reason, the public gives people they recognize or like more credence even when they are spouting utter nonsense on a topic in which they are completely untrained in and thus exhibiting gross misunderstanding.

Suzanne Somers, actress, was live on Huffington Post (why anyone would have her as a guest for anything other than on the subject of entertainment, I have no idea). She proceeded to prattle on about ridiculous excuses for the actions of the Newtown shooter – toxins and diet.

Suzanne Somers Questions Newtown Shooter Adam Lanzas Diet, Exposure To Household Toxins – The Huffington Post.

The country’s leaders are busy debating gun control following the deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., but Suzanne Somers says we should be looking at something else as a contributing factor: diet.

Somers told HuffPost Live Thursday that she feels diet and household toxins may have “electrified” Adam Lanza’s brain.

“Everybody’s looking at guns — I look at it and go, ‘what is the diet of that guy who went nuts? What toxins was he exposed to? What kind of household cleaners are they using?'” Somers told HuffPost Live’s Nancy Redd.

Yep. Not drugs, not alcohol. Not mental illness. Household cleaners. Because she once talked to a neuroscientist. This insanity qualifies at the worst POS I’ve heard all day and if you knew the news I sort through to find this stuff, that’s a PRETTY stinky accolade.

At the end of this piece, they mention that she may not be so off base, since there was that story about lead.

HuffPo – a wretched hive of scum and quackery. (I think Orac said that.)

6 comments for “Actress Somers opines about toxins affecting mass murderer’s brain

1. One Eyed Jack
    January 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM

The character of Chrissy Snow was never much of a stretch for Suzanne Somers.

2. JC
    January 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I find people are so overwhelmed with “stuff” they are too tired to sort what is rational and what is woo. I often tell people that exercising critical thinking is like starting a workout. Stay with it, ask the questions, and eventually your levels of skill to sort out the crap from the reasonably presented stuff will come easier. This will then lead to an informed public which will be less tolerant of stupidity. Here, in Toronto, Canada, I hope for a general level of enlightenment among the general public that will mean the demise of Sun TV. Have a tour of their web content and tell this Canuck whether or not it reminds folks south of the border of Fox News.
    agent j
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

• January 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

It IS difficult. So easy to just open up and be spoon fed. But the skill of seeing red flags can be learned relatively painlessly if people want to.

• JC
        January 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

My education and training has matured to understand it is, at first, relatively painless to exercise critical thinking in the beginning. Then it becomes a journey of awareness such that one can never see the world the same way again. Also, I was trained to understand that one must speak to others in their “language”. It must never be a lecture, nor a dressing down, nor a correction to their view of the world. The ‘brow beating’ approach creates a situation of defensive posturing that is more difficult to surmount. I had a professor who taught us to accept people’s truth as valid and work from their. I tell those whom I tutor that for every item they read/see/hear their is something NOT there. Find it. Then assume you are wrong and look again.
        agent j
        Toronto, Ontario, Canada

• Vin
      January 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Same thing here in Australia, I understand and sympathise with you my frozen cuz. We have networks 7, 9 AND 10 (virtually the big three of commercial TV here in Oz) actively trying to model themselves on Fox News/CNN….this trend (especially with their style of news coverage) has only become noticeable in the last couple of years…. whenever we have a large natural disaster over here (they only ever seem to be large), such as a cyclone or bushfire, you can almost SEE them salivating at the possible ratings…..they panicked everyone so badly a few years ago during Cyclone Yasi that people clogged the highways inland coz they said there ‘might’ be a Tsunami from Brisbane to Cairns…about 2000km worth of coastline in TOTAL PANIC….their exaggerations will actually cause deaths here one day (there should have been a Royal Commission after their handling of Cyclone Yasi, coz their behaviour was downright irresponsible…..(they may put up with that in the US, but we don’t tolerate it for very long here in Oz)……Critical Thinking comes naturally to some (I’m lucky I suppose)….but some ppl genuinely seem to be born without a BS detector…

3. January 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Every time an actor says something this stupid, their next film role should be taken away and given to a randomly selected scientist.