Telegraph’s bizarre front page story on cancer treatment

Simon Singh tweeted this story by saying: “Great she is well, bad that patients will be misled: ‘organic diet helped me beat breast cancer’”

Marchioness of Worcester: organic diet helped me beat breast cancer

The Marchioness of Worcester has spoken for the first time about her successful battle against breast cancer, and has credited an organic diet and complementary medicine with helping her beat the disease. The former actress had breast and lymph cancer diagnosed in 2009.

Now clear of the condition, the Marchioness is adamant that her diet of organic food played a key role in maintaining her strength and aiding her recovery.

“I am almost religious about it now,” she said.

The Marchioness, who as Tracy-Louise Ward starred in the 1980s television detective series C.A.T.S. Eyes, is more determined than ever to improve awareness about food.

She said that an “alkaline diet”, which removes processed food, meat and alcohol, helped her to get through the chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

“My doctor said he had never known anyone be quite so well,” she said. “I would put it down to complementary medicine and alkalining my body.”

She is seldom seen on the social circuit and instead travels the world campaigning against factory farms.

In the midst of her cancer battle, she made a film, Pig Business, which exposed the use of chemicals in intensive pork farming.

Singh also comments that radiation and chemotherapy was hardly mentioned in the story but played a crucial role in her recovery. He found it “bizarre” that it was the Telegraph’s front page story, implying that organic foods and alternative medicine are “something truly remarkable”. He says he is concerned that most people don’t have expendable funds to waste on alternative treatments such as alkaline diets  (which have at their core a nonsense idea about the blood) and it may cause people to focus on the wrong place for treatment.

You can also see that Tracy Worcester is an advocate for natural foods so this is a way for her to promote this issue with her personal story. This was not, however, a fair tactic for the Telegraph to use which can lead to people putting too much faith into “cures” that have no scientific merit.

7 comments for “Telegraph’s bizarre front page story on cancer treatment

1. bert
    December 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM

whilst it is indeed wrong to spout nonsense about organic/ alkaline diets and to dismiss the hugh benefits of radio and chemo treatment, it might be more helpful if we deal in scientific facts that is RED MEAT IS A LEADING CAUSE/ PROMOTER OF ALL TYPES OF CANCERS and anything your likely to eat these days has been spiked with red meat derivatives not that anybody wants to deal with that one. such stories discredit good science …

• December 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM

What just happened?

That is a messed up argument, Bert. But, I expect you have a boatload of scientific reports from medical professionals that show that red meat is definitively the cause of cancers? Pony up.

2. Bob
    December 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Oh Lord. This is always going to be an uphill battle isn’t it? Grr.

3. bert
    December 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

no red meat is not the cause of all cancers there are many other as you well know but it is a leading player and is implicated much in the same way tobacco has been in lung cancer .try cognitive dissonanace its a wonderul natural remedy for evidence. you fight misinformation everyday and i value your insights . i have no arguments because like you i have science on my side. what i dont have is a western goverment who use the same tools the use to influence the masses to supress the consumption of red meat and tobacco now my sceptical friend perhaps you will inform me why that should be.??? it is an easy victory to belittle a frightened and deluded woman clinging to her sanity by putting her faith in the unproven. perhaps your sceptical vision needs to broaden to not only include church but state as well or could that undermine your popularity ???

• December 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Dear Bert: You didn’t answer my request. You are making unfounded assumptions. You might read the comment policy. And try some punctuation. Call me deluded? Bye.

4. D.Walker
    December 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’d guess, speaking very generally, that the use of growth hormones in beef cattle is probably not good for you. Factory farms seem, in many cases, exceptionally cruel. I’d think that, probably, the more protein one got from plants as opposed to meat, the healthier a person would probably be. The pesticides used to squelch bug problems can be very toxic. As a small time gardener, it’s always better to encourage predatory insects to live in your garden than to sweepingly kill every insect that might come around. If it’s toxic to bugs, it might be toxic to you, although not always. So in other words, I’m not sure.

5. G
    January 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Is the Telegraph getting to be as bad as the Daily Mail, or is it just one or two stories I’ve seen lately?

Or has it always been this bad?