This one definitely made me cringe.
No one knew what was bothering 7-month-old Mya Whittington. Her discomfort stumped her parents and doctors. She was finally hospitalized – and a 2-inch feather eventually poked its way out of her neck, shocking everyone.
“[The pediatrician] threw on gloves and she pulled out a 2-inch feather and she’s like, ‘It’s a feather.’ And we’re like, ‘What do you mean it’s a feather?’ And she showed us,” Whittington said, still in disbelief.
“As far as how the feather got into the side of the neck, our doctor says we’ll probably never really know,” he said. “But her best guess is that she either inhaled it or tried swallowing it and it got lodged in the throat somewhere, and the body, just being crazy, just started to reject it and force it out the side of her neck.”
Well, this one is weird but no good reason to doubt it. Did she inhale a feather from a pillow? Did Big Bird pay a visit? This is a great story but the best part is, she’ll be fine. Sadly, she may be quite embarrassed we are marveling at her unfortunate episode someday when she’s old enough to comprehend it all. Humans are something.
Tip: Bob Blaskiewicz (who prefers to think that a tornado put it there or that a really really recessive gene was being expressed.)