Burnsville fire officials say they’ve never heard of so-called firewater could become a fire starter without the aid of a match or spark, but that’s exactly what happened when vodka bottles magnified sunlight and started a fire inside Red Lion Liquors.
Surveillance cameras captured the slow-starting fire, which began with smoke billowing from a display of vodka bottles. Soon, a small paper sign on top simply melts away.
Eventually, the heat got so intense that the tops popped off of the vodka bottles, spraying streams of steaming liquor. In the end, the display caught fire, sending some flames shooting up to 12 feet in the air.
It turns out that sunlight coming through the window turned the vodka bottles into a magnifying glass, slowly starting the cardboard on fire while a ceiling fan above fanned the flames.
Interesting. Wonder if it WASN’T caught on video if the insurance company would believe it was, indeed, an act of Ra.