I kid you not. (Edit: See more explanation below)

Christian group says demon sex makes you gay – Salon.com.

The reigning scientific consensus on sexual orientation is that it’s an inherited, biological trait, but that’s just because scientists don’t know how to party. A far sexier explanation has been offered up by Christian magazine Charisma, which conducted its own investigation into the origins of homosexuality to reveal the real culprit: sex with demons.

“Can demons engage in sexual behaviors with humans?” the magazine asks. Why yes, they can! At least according to the article’s primary source, a former stripper-turned-ministry leader named Contessa Adams.

The two most identifiable sexual demons are the incubus, which is a male sexual demon that traditionally assaults women, and the succubus, which is a female sexual demon that assaults men. Sometimes they also lure people into homosexual behavior.

Adams says the succubus spirit that used to attack her confused her so much that she contemplated becoming a lesbian.

People who are blind to nothing but religious dogma say the most ridiculous things. Let’s blame imaginary entities for assault and then say that assault changes your brain to make you homosexual. That’s what they said. Sometimes there are hateful things that are worth mocking. That’s crazy and the damage you do to people who buy into that stuff is despicable.

UPDATE: (28-Nov-2012) A commenter has pointed out that the original piece in Charisma was about demon sex but BARELY alludes to the gay part. The alternet article (reproduced on Salon) took that one little bit and made it the headline. Sorry I missed digging into that. So, it truly is doubtful news in more ways than one. Alternet has been loose with their interpretations before. I’ll think twice about their stuff now.

7 comments for “Christian magazine concludes sex with demons makes you gay (UPDATE: Correction!)

1. Melissa
    November 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Wow….the full article is very disturbing….. It’s not just a few wayward people, it seems millions of people including a few who hold alot of political power believe that demons make you gay and are destroying the world. It defies all logic.

2. Charlotte
    November 28, 2012 at 5:29 AM

I read the Charisma article referred to, and in fact nowhere does it say what this headline seems to infer, namely that the reason for people to turn gay is that they’re having sex with demons. Rather it says merely that it is a possible outcome. I quote from the article: “Sometimes they [the demons] also lure people into homosexual behavior.” Of course it’s still BS any which way you look at it, but if Doubtful News wants to retain its credibility it shouldn’t try to sex up its own articles by making unwarranted conclusions.

• November 28, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Charlotte: Apologies. You are correct. It turns out the Salon artical (originally on Alternet) took that one small part of the Charisma article and blew it up. The main piece was just about demon sex. As you say, that’s wild enough.

I should have known better because alternet pieces have done this before. Now I’m wiser. I will make an update above.

It was a very busy newsday, I didn’t read the original source carefully and I missed more to this story. But, I didn’t “sex” it up deliberately. (This is why we have a “were we wrong” link above.)

3. Brian
    November 28, 2012 at 6:00 AM

I feel I am eminently qualified to rebut this:

I have been (painfully) single for 22+ years of my life. Over the course of ALL 22 years- I never had a “demon” so much as pop up for a smooch. (this does not include some of the church women who tried to use me… brrrr.) I also lived in Hendersonville, NC- next to Asheville, NC- a center for homosexuals. I had “offers” that did a great job of putting off my appetite.(I want to put in a side note: I do not care about someone’s sexual orientation. I get upset when they force it on me.) My ex boss (a christian, married, and TWELVE- count ‘em, TWELVE kids!) used to try to sexually assault me and “make” me gay. If I had known i could have taken him to court, I would have. Ugh. Puts me off my breakfast just thinking about it.

I do not say this lightly. RELIGION causes more problems not only in turning (or at last trying) people homosexual who are not biologically predisposed, but causes problems of every sort across the board. I can say with complete confidence just about every ill on this planet, including our lack of real scientific progress is linked to the church or religion.

4. One Eyed Jack
    November 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

If I heard in Sunday school that Hell was full of sex demons and Heaven was full of angels playing harps, I think I’d dedicate my life to sin.

There is no crazy like religious crazy.

5. Sawdust Sam
    November 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM

So, homosexuality is an inherited trait?
    Hmmm . . .

• brian
      November 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I’ve read various articles that say it is. The articles were from the scientific community. (not to mention some animals- like penguins- are… they arent ‘taught’, and no penguin sex demons come by to melt their ice floes- if ya know what I mean)