Agenda 21 mind control conspiracy idea circulating among Republicans

Top Georgia GOP Lawmakers Host Briefing on Secret Obama Mind-Control Plot | Mother Jones.

President Obama is using a Cold War-era mind-control technique known as “Delphi” to coerce Americans into accepting his plan for a United Nations-run communist dictatorship in which suburbanites will be forcibly relocated to cities. That’s according to a four-hour briefing delivered to Republican state senators at the Georgia state Capitol last month.

On October 11, at a closed-door meeting of the Republican caucus convened by the body’s majority leader, Chip Rogers, a tea party activist told Republican lawmakers that Obama was mounting this most diabolical conspiracy. The event—captured on tape by a member of the Athens-based watchdog Better Georgia (who was removed from the room after 52 minutes)—had been billed as an information session on Agenda 21, a nonbinding UN agreement that commits member nations to promote sustainable development. In the eyes of conservative activists, Agenda 21 is a nefarious plot that includes forcibly relocating non-urban-dwellers and prescribing mandatory contraception as a means of curbing population growth.

I don’t know anything about this and probably don’t want to but I thought I should bring it to your, our readers, attention that certain members of our political system are off the deep end and not behaving rationally with any evidence or good reasons. Of course, that is neither doubtful, nor news.

Feel free to add to this crazy nonsense in the comments while I despair.

13 comments for “Agenda 21 mind control conspiracy idea circulating among Republicans

1. Mr. Shreck
    November 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM

You have to bear in mind that most members of our political system do not consider rationality and good evidence when evaluating the effect of their policies. Wherever they fall on the political spectrum, the response to why their policies don’t work is usually because they were thwarted by political opponents or didn’t go far enough.

There is an interesting psychological phenomenon at work here: People must be under the influence of a mysterious external force, or else they wouldn’t be behaving the way they are. These folks are blaming Agenda 21. Liberal activists are blaming astroturfing Koch Brothers conspiracies. This is classic sympathetic magic thinking.

• spookyparadigm
      November 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM

So the Koch brothers and their vast political activism is just as not real as Agenda 21?

• Mr. Shreck
        November 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You may need to share your definition of “not real” because by my standards both have objective existence.

My comment was about how particular observers view the available facts through their own biases and are often disposed to a kind of magical thinking that when there is anything unpleasant going on, it must be explained by a conscious malevolent entity or conspiracy.

• spookyparadigm
          November 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

You knew what I meant, and if you’re going to semantic around it for the purposes of quoting sort of existing but not so much logical fallacies, well, have fun.

Though for those not familiar

• Mr. Shreck
            November 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I can see that Koch brothers wasn’t the best example to choose because of their lobbying against climate policies. That particular aspect of their political activity honestly didn’t cross my mind, because I wasn’t really thinking about them but about a certain type of reaction to them, the belief that they’re lurking behind every example of grass roots conservative activism, that I find irrational and paranoid.

I’m still not sure exactly what I said that was so provocative or fallacious, but I will try once more to clarify because I am a bit neurotic about being understood and also keen on being set right if I am headed down a wrong-thinking path myself.

This article is about a bunch of folks who see an evil conspiracy in UN Agenda 21. I replied that it is a common psychological phenomenon that when people see things going against their will politically or socially they attribute it to a conspiracy when the truth is usually much more mundane. This is as ancient as people claiming bewitchment for their livestock dying or a dry season. I did slightly misuse “sympathetic magic” in the first comment which is why I left it at “magical thinking” in the follow up.

The UN does have an anti-global warming initiative/document called Agenda 21. It is not a mind-control plot to enslave and debase the US. The Koch brothers are indeed big political contributors. They are not the evil masterminds behind every flicker of opposition to the Democrats. I could and possibly should have used 9/11 Truthers, Birthers, the belief that the Reagan administration created AIDS, or some other example of conspiratorial thinking.

• spookyparadigm
              November 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM

They’ve been very instrumental in funding radical American anti-government groups (the list is long there), not just anti-climate science work. They are not the end all and be all, but the decades long list of probably into the hundreds of millions of dollars of directly political action is, well, a thing. Do some people embellish it? Sure.

By contrast, Agenda 21 is a non-binding sustainability project/guideline, that typically manifests in stuff like bike paths (which good Tea Partiers vote down). But it isn’t just embellished, it is completely lied about to become a vast satanic conspiracy to overthrow Christianity and western civilization and herd the survivors into camp-like cities as part of a depopulation of the earth.

I don’t like false relativism. And I don’t like inaccuracy, especially when the one serves the other. This is a very important point to my mind, because to some degree I believe that equating two things like that becomes not dissimilar from “teaching the controversy.” It taints legitimate concerns with the same stamp as wild madness, in an effort to look, well, fair and balanced.

There is a larger issue here that I think also has to be addressed. Yes, you can find forms of magical thinking, witchcraft accusations, scapegoating, and the like in all human societies. HOWEVER, there is a difference between this happening, and this being allowed to take over a government, a power structure, and the like. THIS is the real story with stuff like Agenda 21 fears, or birthers, etc.. That an entire political party, and their attendant media allies, funding, power, and so on, have fully embraced conspiracy theory as a form of politics. And yes, this is distinctly found on the right in the U.S., and it has been for some time (go back and read your Hofstadter, who wrote on this 50 years ago), but it has gotten far, far more mainstream on the right, and has now captured virtually the whole of the conservative mediasphere, and most of the GOP. And this is not unrelated to the other sorts of things we see discussed here (creationism in the schools [see Marco Rubio, the expected GOP leading candidate four years out, talking up creationism education today], defunding of science education, exorcisms [hi, Bobby Jindal], attacks on science [hi Bobby Jindal's hatred of volcano monitoring, never minding all the awful folks on the Science Committees most famously Todd Akin and the "evolution is a lie from the Pit of Hell" guy in Georgia]).

And while we might hope that this complete disconnect from reality might be self-defeating (see Karl Rove and many others on the American right in the wake of the election, and how they had completely deluded themselves by purposely denying math when it wasn’t going their way), the United States has a lot of nuclear weapons, and the rise of a conspiracy theory party in such a nation has the potential for a true cataclysmic disaster.

Sagan wrote in Demon Haunted Universe about how critical thinking is so important because of the dangers of irrational thought in politics. It has become quite evident that the most important story in American politics today is the wholesale embracing of purposeful irrationality and conspiracy theory by half the political spectrum (this is in fact the defining difference between the two major parties, as on foreign policy, economic policy, many of their differences are more of degree than kind, especially amongst the elected officials).

• Mr. Shreck
                November 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I’ve thought long and hard about your charge of false relativism. It troubled me to think I was engaging in it, especially with the backhanded connection made to various anti-science positions you cite above. Clearly we don’t assess the influence or threat of the Koch brothers similarly, so I guess the best that can be done there may be to leave it, especially because we seem to agree on most of the basic facts. I would only ask that if you consider KB so dangerous, you evaluate how really effective they have been over the decades in getting their “anti-government” agenda enacted. It seems to me that when both parties routinely call reductions in rate of growth of government programs “cuts” that small government activists (which I think is a more accurate characterization of the Kochs than “anti-government”) are throwing good money after bad.

Going back to my original statement, though, I am not inclined to change it. There are some classic right/left philosophical distinctions in the way political power is conceived that make partisans on either side naturally disposed to see different flavors of conspiracy, but they both either see threats in every shadow or think the electorate is dumb enough to believe them when they act as though they do. Maybe that is the distinction: the bozos on the right believe their own press and the bozos on the left just use it to rally votes? :-) The only thing I am truly convinced of is that they all overestimate their own importance and ability, that legislatures are the perfect laboratory for observing the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• November 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM

It seems the comments have become too nested. But given how much our governance and “conventional wisdom” has moved to the right in the past 30 years, from where it once was, I think folks like the Koch Brothers and their think tanks and such have had plenty of impact. Or, as Tom the Dancing Bug put it

2. Rand
    November 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I cry for our country. Do they really take that sort of thing seriously? If Obama really could use mind control on the populous to get them to follow his agenda…. then why the heck wouldn’t he have used it on the republicans in congress to get them to pass his agenda in the first place?

Just waiting for the Jon Stewart and Colbert takes on this one….

3. Moose McNuggets
    November 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM

As an Alaskan, I’m trying to find a HAARP angle on this.

4. Jim Price
    November 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM

When you say “certain members of our political system are off the deep end and not behaving rationally,” you are describing the entire Washington establishment.

• November 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I was being charitable. Don’t want to generalize. :-P

5. oldebabe
    November 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha…

Oh, and so sad at the same time.