Man suffers stroke after neck manipulation by chiropractor

Local man suffers stroke after visit to chiropractor | CBS 58 | Local News.

Millions of people use chiropractors and swear by the results.

But one local man said that it was a trip to the chiropractor that cost him his job and his health.

Richard Rossert of Nashotah was a successful business man when a trip to the chiropractor to relieve his back pain changed his life forever.

Rossert said that he had a neck manipulation performed and afterwards the chiropractor told him that his system was all aligned.

After having his neck manipulated by the chiropractor Rossert made it
back to his office, but started having problems.

“I couldn’t get my key in the door. I guess I got it in there, but when I came around my desk I was gone,” Rossert said.

His secretary, a former nurse, realized that he was suffering symptoms of a stroke and called an ambulance immediately.

Doctors said Rossert suffered a vertebral artery dissection, or the tearing of an artery that supplies blood to the brain, and that caused the stroke.

Rossert believes chiropractic treatment caused his stroke. This is not far fetched. It’s a risk that must be considered when undergoing this treatment. There are no subluxations, no misalignments. Cracking your neck and back may feel good but is not medically necessary (and I can do it myself and find NO need to pay someone every few weeks to do it for me). The article contains this quote about chiropractic: “The risk is very very low, but the benefits are unproven so why take the risk at all”. Indeed.

For a primer on chiropractic, start here.

And here Chiropractic Strokes Again: An update.

Tip: @blue_wode on Twitter

9 comments for “Man suffers stroke after neck manipulation by chiropractor

1. Sam
    October 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Quacks! there all quacks, i don’t care what anybody says, I think chiropractors are all Quacks, Can you tell I had a bad chiropractor experience :-/

2. geo
    October 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hi Folks,
    Here’s a link to the first of three videos by Bill Kinsinger,MD about chiropractic.

He covers everything. Think you’ll find them interesting and informative.
    Regards,
    George

• October 3, 2012 at 8:36 AM

If someone wants to watch these videos, please let me know if they are useful or advertisements.

• One Eyed Jack
        October 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The whole series runs about 45 minutes, so I didn’t watch it all. 5-10 minutes of the first video made it clear that it is an informative series about chiropractors from a medical doctor’s perspective. It’s primarily a debunking of chiropractors.

It is not an advertisement or propaganda.

• October 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Great. Thanks.

• geo
            October 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Hi Ms. Hill,
            I’m somewhat disappointed that you’d think I’d try to slip in an advertisement for chiropractors. Of course, you know nothing about me. Here’s a link to a long-dormant blog I started a few years ago.

Dr. Kinsinger, I believe, is associated with http://neck911.com/ .

I’ve been enjoying your site. I wish you well and continued success in all of your endeavors.
            Regards,
            George

• October 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Very sorry. We get so many comments and I didn’t have the opportunity to check on the links directly. My apologies. (BTW: They have tried sneaking stuff on in the past, homepathy and anti-fluoride people as well. Tricky buggers.)

3. Bob
    October 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I had a real estate saleswoman in Florida years ago whose husband had recently died. She was still in shock and disbelief because he had visited the chiropractor once a month for years and still he died.

4. Melissa
    October 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

There is a growing trend I’m seeing in my area, San Diego, integrated medicine. It’s a combo of a medical doctor but in most cases a D.O. A chiropractor and physical therapists. The legitimate medicine is covered by insurance ( ie physical therapy). But the woo isn’t , the chiropractic side. I went to one of these places for PT and was given an adjustment to include my neck. No warning, no consent form, just kind of thrown in with the therapy. I was also told after it isn’t covered by insurance so I have to pay for it…. Haha… Something to watch for in your areas, it’s quite a nice scam …. Hiding “woo” in with legitimate practice.