This piece is spooky in its assumptions about “hauntings”. But let’s think about this…

Would you buy a haunted house? 1 in 3 say yes.

Respondents who would not consider buying a spirit-occupied place (35%) just slightly edged out those who would (32%) or might (33%) consider it.

As for what paranormal activity they’d be willing to live with, nearly two-thirds said they would not be deterred by warm or cold spots, and almost half said they’d tolerate ghostly footsteps and slamming doors. And a hardy 41% said apparitions would not scare them away.

So, about a third of people would have a problem with a “haunted” house. This confuses me. Why is the house considered “haunted”? Did someone die there? Well, there is no evidence that someone dying in a house creates real-world problems, contrary to myth. Are there strange things that go on? As they note, sounds or areas of erratic temperature and misbehaving doors is considered paranormal but they more likely are related to construction problems in the house. Other activity that may be characterized as paranormal could be related to poor plumbing, pest infestations and faulty electrical wiring. So, actually, that might hint that it IS a bad buy.

The haunted house is more likely to “have a history” – read that as old. Then, it has that problem of being a money pit, constantly needed repairs and maintenance. So, there may be some logical reasons to stay away from a so-called haunted house. Or, you could just embrace it and charge for tours, like LOTS of historic sites and hotels are doing these days. It’s a gimmick.

The figure in the window is beckoning you to buy this fixer-upper.

6 comments for “Buying a haunted house? There may be logical reasons why that’s not a good idea.

1. October 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM

If I had infinite dollars, I’d love to buy a place like this, renovate the ever-lovin’ out of it, and spend every year designing the best “haunted house” imaginable for Halloween. A lot of these places, like this one, are gorgeous properties (minus the satellite dish).

2. October 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM

That picture is gorgeous! Out of curiosity, who made it?

• October 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I would give credit but I didn’t see any source to credit.

3. Kristen
    October 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

My husband and I agree, we’d LOVE to have a house like this. Though we have been making bad decisions for many years! What a money pit!

4. LovleAnjel
    October 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Another problem with haunted houses: looky-loos will come by and trespass, peer in your windows or perhaps even try and break in or steal something! The occupants of the “Amityville Horror” house post-Lutz have all reported trespassers and peeping toms.

There are plenty of well-kept “haunted” houses that are in good condition. I once told my husband I hoped to buy a murder house because I don’t believe in spooks and think it would be really great price. He really did not like that idea.

5. JB
    October 24, 2012 at 3:40 AM

After I retired, I bought a 180 year old house. Yes it is a money pit. Yes I must have been crazy. And it may be haunted. When the weather gets cool and I turn on the heat I often hear banging noises The only explaination I can think of is that it must be ghosts. (or it could be the furnace. What do I know, I’m not a psychic and I can’t afford to buy any of that fancy ghost hunting equipment.)