Another U.S. Congressman’s ridiculous notion: Evolution from the “pit of hell”

Video shows ‘scientist’ in Congress saying evolution is from ‘pit of Hell’ – Cosmic Log.

U.S. Rep. Paul Broun’s view that the theories of evolution and the big bang are “lies straight from the pit of Hell” is getting more exposure than he might have expected, thanks to a video that was made at a church-sponsored banquet in Georgia and distributed by a progressive political watchdog group.

The Georgia Republican is already well-known as an outspoken conservative Christian, due in part to his unsuccessful campaign to have 2010 declared “the Year of the Bible.” But the latest comments have taken on an extra dab of controversy because Broun, a medical doctor, calls himself a scientist in the video and chairs the House Science Committee’s panel on investigations and oversight.

The video clip, distributed by the Bridge Project, was taken from a longer version recorded on Sept. 27 during the 2012 Sportsman’s Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Ga.

In the video Broun says:

BROUN: God’s word is true. I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.

Here is the video:

Note, Braun is a medical doctor. While he has a degree in Chemistry, a medical doctor is NOT a scientist. (Dr. Steve Novella has spoken about this before on Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe) So Broun’s claim that his is a “scientist” is weak. There are lots of scientist who believe absolutely wrong things.

But a young earth is a truly nonsensical thing to believe.

One of those who tipped us on this story, Justin, says that “of all the doubtful claims out there, creationism/anti-evolution is for some reason the most grating to me personally. We’re regressing in science so much every year with these silly debates and stunts while other countries’ education systems are surging ahead.” This is exactly the kind of thing Bill Nye was talking about. It’s embarrassing that our congresspeople can say such completely baseless and ridiculous things such as the earth is 9000 years old. Evolution is how nature works. To discard that is to deny reality. You are denying the world around you.

Tip: Mike Hill and Justin via submit a story

17 comments for “Another U.S. Congressman’s ridiculous notion: Evolution from the “pit of hell”

1. Lauri
    October 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Wait a minute. Georgia was unable to pass a year of the bible? And Pennsylvania lawmakers passed one unanimously? Sheesh.

2. Kristen
    October 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

If you’re not going to say it I am – WTF is up with all those creepy deer heads?!!!

• October 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Kind of ironic, eh? He’s calling evolution a lie while standing in front of a prime example of evolution in action.

• October 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM

And this guy is on the House Committee, for Science, Space and Technology. I work in his district. Maybe I’ll run in 2014.

3. Massachusetts
    October 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You’re fast–I was going to e-mail you this one! :) What’s really strange is that the big bang theory was championed by the catholic church, and in fact first proposed by a Catholic Priest (and physicist), seen as compatible with the Biblical view of creation. Though catholicism and the extreme forms of Protestantism are frequently at odds, so perhaps not such a surprise.

• Bill Johnson
      October 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Deschardin(sp.?) if I remember tried to reconcile evolution with Catholic dogma, and Bishop Spong has tendered views on this as well. It is easier to control the fear factor in people by making it as nonempirical myth.

4. October 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Judging from the wall I’d guess this church’s slogan is, “God hates stags”.

5. xxicenturyboy@yahoo.com
    October 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Science by voting is so dangerous. I remember learning about ancient mythologies in Elementary school and laughing at the thought that ancient gods control the weather, or sacrifices can affect geographical events like hurricanes, earthquakes and volcanoes. Now every morning I wake up and realize I am living in that same time again. Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Maybe all of us skeptics can pick a state like Wyoming, move there, take over the state government and secede from the Union. Who’s with me!

• One Eyed Jack
      October 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Science by voting is not science.

FYP

• Massacusetts
      October 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Here in the North East you probably wouldn’t have to secede. Most people I meet in Massachusetts at least subscribe to the theory of evolution at the very least. Though I had a middle school teacher, married to a reverend, who asked me “Isn’t evolution just a theory?” when I was in science-kid mode. I never got that from other teachers though–she was more the exception than the rule I think.

• Hannah Wilson
      October 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

As a skeptic who already lives in Wyoming, yes, please do. I could really use the company.

6. October 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

There sure is a lot of raping and killing in that instruction manual he talks about.

7. October 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Hell not a source of Science, Satan says

8. Phil
    October 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Evolution wasn’t a very good movie, it’s true.

9. October 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
  10. Ian Sutherland
    October 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

The sad deluded man. Genesis got the sequence of events of creation about right but the timescale well wrong – first a void but No Adam and Eve that way.
    The Catholic Church is slowly waking up after condemning Galileo 600 years ago and now does accept the earth moves round the sun.
    Such fixed ignorance is difficult to shift but we must try.
    Ian Sutherland

11. Brian
    October 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Amazing. And Congress is not from the pit of hell with their laundry list of misdeeds and outright crimes….