Oh the amazing things you can do with makeup: Behold Fukkacumi, the Anime girl

Anastasiya Shpagina (Fukkacumi) – Ukraine’s Real-Life Anime Girl | Oddity Central

It’s official, this real-life anime trend has gotten completely out of hand. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t stumble upon some photos of girls going to any lengths in order to look like real live anime characters. Today’s example, Anastasiya Shpagina, an Ukrainian girl who has even taken a Japanese name – Fukkacumi.

19-year-old Anastasiya (Nastya) Shpagina has been called “the new Barbie” by national news outlets, but she later revealed she’s striving to become a real-life Japanese anime character, not a doll.

Apparently, Nastya has been passionate about makeup even as a young child, always experimenting with it in the mirror. Over time she also developed a thing for Japanese cartoons and it was only a matter of time before she started using her make-up artist skills to transform herself into a real-life anime girl. But just putting on makeup wasn’t enough to attain that coveted look, so she decided to lose weight in order to seem more genuine. At 1.58-meters-tall, Anastasiya weighs just 39 kilos and is trying to lose one more in order to look just right.

Tip: @OddityCentral

You may recall a past story about a “real-life Barbie”, Valeria Lukyanova, where it was clear that she was a real person but the photos were certainly altered to make her appearance more dramatic. The same seems true here.

Check out this picture:

It’s odd and her waist is incredibly tiny. But she admits she works carefully with makeup. Look at this closeup where you can clearly see how she enhances her features with shading and highlighting.

Closeup from TV where you can see the artist’s touch on Anastasia Shpagina

It’s quite brilliant. But still disturbing. It’s not healthy to want so badly to reject who you are to physically become some fictional being. It’s important to keep in mind that almost NO photos you see in publications or advertisements are untouched. They are altered and do not represent real life. Art? Yes. Reality? No.

11 comments for “Oh the amazing things you can do with makeup: Behold Fukkacumi, the Anime girl

1. Verklagekasper
    September 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I think what she’s doing isn’t all that different from what, say, gothics or punkers do.
    What may make her look somewhat disturbing is that she hit a kind of “uncanny valley”, a phenomenon known from robotics and computer animations: People feel uneasy about human replicas that are almost but not 100% perfect. She just enters the valley from the other direction, as a human looking like a replica.

2. Tombolian
    September 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

WTF happened to her nose? She made it that way intentionally? Yeah, I likes me a grey silly-putty looking nose!
    Cheese and Rice!

3. Fitz
    September 11, 2012 at 4:24 AM

It’s definitely weird as a present-day expression of Orientalism turned against the self. That said, I’ve seen far worse examples in the grocery store check-out line. Teen Vogue and Seventeen, for example, have been photoshopping teen models over the protests of their young readers. I’m picking Fox just because it’s the most recent link I can find.

4. September 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Geez Louise what did she do to her eyes???

Borrowed the gadget from Clockwork Orange?

5. Kitty
    September 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I like it, good job with the makeup and very innovative. No different than goths or people that sometimes look like zombies. My daughter does special effects makeup that is incredible and a lot of fun.

6. September 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I’m assuming she doesn’t go around all day like this (which would be weird) but does it more in a cosplay kind of way (which is way cool). Wish we knew which.

7. September 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I like the picture where she’s posing at the “beach” — holy crap, which is that Ukrainian toxic waste sludge foam she’s sitting in???

8. September 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Being from northern Vermont, I immediately thought it was snow. Tiny girl with almost no body fat sitting in icy slush? She would probably see hypothermia as a minor inconvenience or possibly a badge of honor in pursuit of her ideal.

9. September 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Normally I’m fine people doing whatever the heck they want to their own bodies, but I think she’s probably endangering her health with her weight. Not just her weight but her WAIST. I don’t usually indulge in speculation on photos like this, but a waist like that is impossible to achieve without corseting. That amount of reduction takes years of slow, careful, gradual training. Teenagers are still growing and should not be corseting! Especially not improperly done rapid reduction (tightlacing) that can put damaging pressure on one’s kidneys and abdominal circulation/nerves. She also might be severely diplacing other organs and deforming her rib bones in such a way that could reduce her lung capacity, especially if her bones are compromised due to undernourishment.

On a lighter note, my boyfriend is totally freaked out by this girl. I’m going to do her make-up job to myself to scare him when he gets home from work tonight.

10. mayusarah