Horrifying story of woman giving birth to a monster in Nigerian church (UPDATE)

We often post stories from Nigeria that are nearly too horrifying to contemplate. This one is too awful and outrageous to believe.

allAfrica.com: Nigeria: How Woman Delivered Monster in Church.

Benin City residents were shocked on Tuesday when a pregnant woman, currently at large, was delivered of a creature that resembled a horse during a prayer session at the World Libration Ministry, Benin City.

The woman, we were told, had been in her matrimonial home for 11 years without a baby and the pastor said there was ‘a woman here for 11 years, no child,’ that the person always got pregnant but whenever she went for test, it will show and at another time it will not show again”.

Ogbovoh continued: “So the woman came out and the pastor said ‘let us put you in an all night on Friday, but the woman pleaded with the congregation to go on with the prayers since she may not be able to wait. So the pastor now agreed. The pastor called her and asked the men to give little space and the pastor insisted that something inside the woman was not a human being, he said it was a funny creature.

When the creature came out, it did not look like a human being but it looked like an animal”.

Source: AllAfrica.com

The creature was said to resemble a horse. The woman has disappeared (they said out of embarrassment) and the creature was removed. Explanation for it was that it was demonic and God had produced a miracle by removing her obstacle to a true pregnancy.

What we see in this story is ignorance, fear and superstition. There is no way to corroborate a thing in this story. You can’t even tell if it has a kernel of truth to it. The reason why I linked to it is to show what is passed off as news in Africa Nigeria and that people likely believe it.

UPDATE (17-Sept-2012): There is this story (similar) with a picture (of what looks like a dead horse fetus) from another source (translated).

The suggestion has been made via another website that the thing was staged and that this sort of drama occasionally occurs to convince the onlookers. This would be the first I’d heard about such a thing so any comments or references are welcomed.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

17 comments for “Horrifying story of woman giving birth to a monster in Nigerian church (UPDATE)

1. Rob
    September 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I’m sorry, “what is passed off as news in Africa”? That’s a bit harsh, don’t you think? Most informed people would say Africa’s current problems–like its repressive governments, endemic underdevelopment, and lack of a free press–are at least partly our fault.

And is it any worse than the Daily Mail? (I doubt it.)

• Rob
      September 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Not to mention: Nigeria < "Africa"

• September 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Note that I used “West Africa” as a tag, not Africa.

• September 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Noted.

Much crap is passed off as news in the U.S.

I received this piece on a Google alert for News. AllAfrica.com is a source that gets a lot of traffic. Some of what I see there is awful.

I can’t say I know much about West African politics but I think this piece was important because it was portrayed with such seriousness.

Do you have a suggestion? Should I have not blogged this piece or how would you prefer I had framed it?

• Rob
        September 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

One Eyed Jack nails it on the head (thanks, One Eye). I appreciate you taking my point seriously, unlike several of the other commenters below. It’s the sloppiness not the issue that offends. Simply put, gross generalizations are unscientific as well as unproductive, so I’d just try to avoid making them.

• Russell
      September 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Rob, what on earth is your point? That we don’t have the right to point out questionable news coming from other countries, because there’s questionable news (being published by OTHER people) here?

• One Eyed Jack
        September 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The problem is not pointing out questionable news from other countries. The problem is painting all of Africa with a wide brush from this story. It is similar to characterizing all of the US based on what you read in the Inquirer or hear at a Tea Party rally.

• lol
          September 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

“It is similar to characterizing all of the US based on what you read in the Inquirer or hear at a Tea Party rally.”

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess you’ve never attended a Tea Party rally…

Against generalizations whist making a sweeping one of your own. Irony, thy name is One Eyed Jack. :)

• lol
            September 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

erm…”whilst.”

• mals
      September 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Sure, it is ALWAYS our fault.

2. bob
    September 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I heard its father was a nigerian prince.

3. Eisbein
    September 17, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Rob’s point is that even so Nigeria is an African country, Africa is always adressed as a whole. What happens in a particular country is always generalized to represent the whole of Africa.
    I’ts like saying America is underdeveloped because of things happening in Mexico. I’m sure US citizens would not agree with this statement, nor would Mexicans.
    But when it comes to Africa its always the Continent as a whole that gets generalized.
    I think this is Rob’s point, and I could not agree more.

4. kiljoy616
    September 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Sound like a spoof from the onion but of course its not. So the stuff coming out of Africa is a bit more retarded than the stuff coming out of here, glad to hear but lets not kid our selves its a bat sh*t crazy world we live in, and a lot of these things are going to hurt people and maybe society as a whole. The sad part is we can’t even stop garbage like homeopathy here in the states so why should we think they can stop the garbage primitive people believe in.

• One Eyed Jack
      September 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM

There is a difference between primitive and poverty stricken. And even that changes depending on where you are in Africa, or any nation.

5. kiljoy616
    September 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

True but we don’t need Mexico to look like a bunch of retards we do a pretty good job without it.

True Africa is not a country so it should be stated which country they come from still it would seem most of Africa is a mess and full of religious madness more and more.

6. Tony Shreck
    September 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM

This sounds to me like an angle on the “psychic surgery” scam.