California bans (?) ‘gay cure’ therapy for children

California becomes first state in nation to ban ‘gay cure’ therapy for children – U.S. News.

California has become the first state in the nation to ban therapy that tries to turn gay teens straight.

Gov. Jerry Brown announced Sunday that he has signed Senate Bill 1172, which prohibits children under age 18 from undergoing “sexual orientation change efforts.” The law, which goes into effect Jan. 1, prohibits state-licensed therapists from engaging in these practices with minors.

“Governor Brown today reaffirmed what medical and mental health organizations have made clear: Efforts to change minors’ sexual orientation are not therapy, they are the relics of prejudice and abuse that have inflicted untold harm on young lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Californians,” Clarissa Filgioun, board president of Equality California, said in a press release.

“I am deeply honored Governor Brown signed SB 1172. The bill is necessary because children were being psychologically abused by reparative therapists who would try to change the child’s sexual orientation. An entire house of medicine has rejected gay conversion therapy. Not only does it not work but it is harmful. Patients who go through this have gone through guilt and shame, and some have committed suicide,” [Sen. Ted] Lieu told NBS News in a telephone interview on Sunday.

Tip: DJ Grothe on Twitter

Very good news! This treatment does not work and can cause serious harm. See these related stories for more.

8 comments for “California bans (?) ‘gay cure’ therapy for children

1. Haldurson
    September 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM

This is good news. Hopefully, other states will follow his example.

2. September 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Every now and then I’m proud of our governor.

3. Hannah Wilson
    October 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

While I understand why they can only make the law apply to state-licensed therapists, it seems to leave a rather large loophole to allow organizations to still practice this horrible ‘therapy.’
    Still, it is a very good step forward.

• One Eyed Jack
      October 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM

This was my thought as well. I haven’t read the law, so I’m not clear how it addresses religious counselors. I applaud the lawmakers for getting this done, but it appears they left a huge hole.

4. Am_Sci
    October 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Does this actually ban the practice? It seems like this just prevents licensed therapist from engaging in it.

• October 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Good point. I was quoting the article. And, obviously, yes, huge hole.

5. Melissa
    October 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

It does have a loophole, but I do not think that loophole lessens the bills importance. Most public schools require their school psychologists be state licensed, hence , this therapy cannot be offered in a public school setting or a prison setting like juvenile hall. True private teen camps, schools clinics ect…with no standard can use this practice but it keeps it from being widely accepted and the bill will help stop its growth. It also prevents insurance companies from covering this therapy as MOST, not all, companies require you see a state licensed therapist in order for them to cover the bill. I know that is true of my insurance company when dealing with therapy claims.

6. William C.
    October 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Maybe they could work on a cure for the evil Left-Handedness instead.