Worried about inorganic food and radiation? Here’s a $220 iPhone accessory

Lapka: a $220 iPhone accessory that will test your food and keep you safe from radiation | The Verge.

Lapka, an iPhone accessory and app combo which tests organic food as well as detecting environmental factors such as radiation, humidity, and electromagnetism, is set to ship before the end of the year.

Lapka uses a metal probe to check raw food and drinking water for excessive quantities of nitrates, a tell-tale sign of the use of synthetic fertilizers. The other blocks monitor the ambient environment, with the app providing a database of comfort settings and a suite of visualization tools, allowing users to pick precise spots away from potentially harmful elements.

Tip: r/skeptic

If you are gullible enough to buy this, maybe you deserve to be out $220. There is nothing special about organic food. Most organic food is labeled. The fear over nitrates suggested in this piece is over-exaggerated. There is no justifiable harm identified from nitrates. Just don’t eat processed and cured food if you are concerned. You don’t need a probe to determine that.

Apparently it will work as a radon detector and help you judge when a nuclear accident has taken place. Or something. It is “professionally precise“, counts and visualizes every particle. (WHAT?)

I’m just wondering… will it pick up the cell phone signal on your phone? How about the wifi? If you are freaked out over EMF signals, you should be living in a cave somewhere away from civilization which is AWASH in radiation of some sort or another. Frankly, this device is suited for only very irrational and completely paranoid people.

8 comments for “Worried about inorganic food and radiation? Here’s a $220 iPhone accessory

1. Yarro
    August 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Why oh why do I have a conscience that stops me from getting filthy rich on the backs of the gullible.
    I still have dozens of EMF shielded jars of quantum aligned (organic) plum jam that helps detoxifying the body and at the same time cleanses the aura.

2. Peebs
    August 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Yarro,

It’s your lucky day. Not only have I developed an app to suppress the conscience. Only $5.

I’ve just tested it on myself and it works perfectly.

Unfortunately I’m in the UK so to get to you will be plus £500 postage and packing.

See, told you it works!

• Yarro
      August 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Will I know I have used the app?
      Is it a case of “you’ve lost my memory”?’

• Melissa
      September 3, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I would like some as well…. Here is my social security number and bank account numbers……
      All joking aside its really alarming how many people will buy this thinking they are doing the right thing for themselves and their families ….. I don’t doubt some people might actually buy your “conscious remover” if you marketed it properly.
      It’s hard to save people from themselves….. Reading the doubtful news I’m getting the idea most of the time people know its a scam but do it anyway due to fear and/or mass hysteria…… The panic wins OR they get blinded by fancy scientific sounding claims.

3. August 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

“If you are gullible enough to buy this, maybe you deserve to be out $220.”

And then again, maybe not. It’s our job as skeptics to inform and to promote critical thinking. Blaming the victim of a scam is not something I’m comfortable with. I don’t want to get all preachy, but there’s some pretty good reason’s why we do what we do, and one of those reasons is to teach people how to recognize a scam so they won’t be had.

• August 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Yep, David. You have a point. I got so perturbed with this idea of promoting a fear to sell this product that I lashed out at the consumer who may not know any better. I hope the people who are interested in such products (for whatever reason), look up the reviews and find the skepticism instead of just succumbing to the hype.

4. Bob
    August 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I would like to see more challenges to the label “organic” itself. What inorganic foods do we eat, other than ice cubes and salt? What purpose, other than marketing, does it serve to so undermine knowledge of basic biology in the public?

5. Sids
    August 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

“Frankly, this device is suited for only very irrational and completely paranoid people.”

While they may be the target audience, this is about the worst possible thing for irrational and paranoid people. Like doing a full body scan on a hypochondriac, it’s going to send them insane. Well, unless if doesn’t work at all, and just shows 0’s all the time. Then I guess it’ll give them piece of mind.