Was this car a casualty of a Perseid meteor?

In Iowa, a claim that a perhaps a meteor dented a car, when someone was in it.

Mysterious Fallen Rock Dents Sioux City Man’s Car – News, Weather and Sports for Sioux City, IA: KCAU-TV.com.

Around 11:15 p.m. last night, Steve Bell of Sioux City was in his car at a stop sign near Lakeport Commons when he heard a loud bang and glass break.

Immediately he thought it was a gunshot and took off.

He then parked in the Hy-Vee gas station near by and noticed a dent in the top of his car.

About fifteen minutes later he returned to the stop sign where the incident happened and was shocked by what he saw.

“We found this rock right here in the middle of the street,” Bell said. “When we got there, the rock was too hot to the touch. This rock, whatever it is, fits that perfect dent over the top of our truck.”

Besides just being very hot, Bell said there was a strong odor coming from the rock as well.

Source: kcautv

Hmm. No pictures and no more details. It couldn’t have been very big piece (as one would expect). However, there should be no question if the rock is an actual meteor since they found it and can easily make that determination. Keep an eye out for more about this one. The Perseid meteor shower was in process last night.

UPDATE: (13-Aug-2012) As this tale looks highly dubious, I came across this story of a boy who looked AND FOUND a real meteorite near his home.

[…]the lad had located a large “L6 ordinary chondrite” that Agee estimates had been on the ground for about 10,000 years.

Agee told the Los Angeles Times that after yelling and hurrahing, he told Lyons he had a sure-fire career as a scientist.

14 comments for “Was this car a casualty of a Perseid meteor?

1. Chew
    August 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Are meteorites hot when they hit? There is no definitive answer: Curious About Astronomy: Are meteorites hot or cold when they hit Earth?

But one thing is certain: they are never “too hot” to the touch, especially after sitting in the road for 15 minutes. Meteorites also have a fusion crust, their surface melts during entry and gives them a distinctive appearance.

2. Daran
    August 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I cannot believe that meteorites are not too hot to touch.
    Even after 30 minutes, let alone 15.
    O wait, a more logical explanation for the hot rock is that kids heated it up in a fire in the yard and them wearing dad’s welding gloves, threw it from the top of a building.

3. Vin
    August 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Here’s an anecdote ANY astronomer would literally KILL for…in about 2005, I was a front seat passenger in a 4×4 driving back toward Civilisation, Southwards down the Cape York Developmental Road in Queensland Australia. I was about 20km South of Musgrave Station Road House, when I saw a daylight meteor (soon to be meteorite I suspected)…..it literally looked like someone had drop-kicked a huge black/brown potato (complete with the remnants of an impact crater still visible on the side as a kind of raised ridge/ring)over the road, the road there is WIDE but dirt, it passed in an arc about 30degrees above and in front of me….it took about 3 seconds (enough time for me to blurt “HOLY F#@K! LOOK AT THAT!!!” and point like some kinda slack-jawed yokel)…..I had NO idea of the size, as the sky was a Perfect blue (it being about mid-year, its Winter here), my brain was flicking the possible size guess from a large Block of Residential Units, to a small car size, but, then as it was about half-way through its arc, 2 small green ‘fireworks’ blew off the top of it and followed the same trajectory for a fraction of a second before they extinguished, at THAT point the size stopped oscillating from big to small in my Brain, which had by this time decided that it was BIG, but luckily it obviously wasn’t)….it tumbled about 1 and a half times while I could see it (at THIS point, I thought….”that’s it…I’m/we’re ALL dead”…..I watched the tree line where it had passed for about a minute, expecting some kinda shock-wave, but there was none visible to me from my Vantage Point….thank ‘Hollywood’ for making my brain do THAT)…..I have seen 3 MASSIVE fireballs at night during my 36 years and COUNTLESS meteors (I have usually lived away from the glow of large cities)…..but THIS …..this was SOMETHING ELSE (as in special….not ‘something else’ as in UFO)!!! I just never bothered to tell a Scientist about it, as what use is anecdote to a scientist? It MAY still be lying out there just a km off the road, or it may have even splashed down on the Barrier Reef (Queensland, Australia is pretty big, but on Cape York, its only about a couple hundred or so Km from Coast to Coast at that latitude…..it may have passed over it in a few seconds…as I said, the sky was a Perfect Blue (if I had have had ONE, just ONE cloud, I could have had an Idea of the size of it, but alas….it remains my fav mystery)…I LIKE to think that I must be one of the MOST privileged Humans in History, to see such an amazing Cosmic Daylight Extravaganza..If anyone knows of a Scientist that MAY somehow benefit from my anecdote, please put them in touch with me. (I can also draw well, and can prob do a fairly accurate representation from Memory, though memory is Fallible, that couple of seconds are TATTOOED into my brain for LIFE)…..anyway….I hope you all enjoyed my Anecdote and currently are as Jealous as is Humanly Possible ;D

4. Richard
    August 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Where was the broken glass?

5. Chew
    August 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Try these guys: Meteorites Australia – Meteorites.com.au
    or these guys: International Meteor Organization | International Collaboration in Meteor Science

I’m sure they’d be interested in trying to find it.

6. Jim
    August 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Unlike reports of Bigfoot or UFOs, this claim one can be tested.

7. Dave Bailey
    August 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Daran, from what I’ve heard meteorites are actually cold, sometimes covered in frost. They have just come from deep space, and their interior is close to absolute zero. Their surface heats up during the entry into the atmosphere, but once they land the heat dissipates into the air and sinks into the interior, but not enough to stay hot.

8. Chew
    August 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Based on its albedo and the solar flux a spherical meteoroid’s interior will be close to 0° C before it enters the Earth’s atmosphere. They may come from deep space but it will takes years for that journey and they will be gradually heated up by the Sun. After it decelerates and ablates in the upper stratosphere they travel through the 14 km thick lower stratosphere where the temperature is a constant -56° C. At 11 km altitude it enters the troposphere where the air temperature gradually increases.

Small meteors need to enter the atmosphere at a very shallow angle in order to survive entry through the atmosphere. Too steep and they burn up completely. After its fiery entry, i.e. it has been decelerated from its original velocity to its freefall velocity, a 5 cm meteor will take about 15 minutes to fall to the ground.

So yeah, the “too hot” is nonsense. It’s just someone making up a story based on their common sense knowledge.

9. Mike
    August 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Ok, but the current “meteor shower” is not actually meteors I believe. I have read that this particular “shower” is the earth passing through the remains of and old comet that has long since disappeared. So, if his car was hit by a metoer, it wasn’t one of the Perseid meteors.

The regularity of this particular phenomenon is due to the left over dust from an old comet. Of course I may be completely wrong but a think a quick check with NASA might have a more accurate response,

10. Chew
    August 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

The Perseids are generated by Comet Swift–Tuttle. A meteor is any small piece of the solar system that enters the atmosphere regardless of whether it came from a comet or not.

11. Thorfin
    August 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Seems to me if this was a real meteorite strike there would have been more news stories about it. So far, a Google search revealed only the KCAU TV story, with footage of the “meteorite” and the SUV it supposedly hit; and an entry in the SOTT website–a place devoted to conspiracies and woo. http://www.sott.net/articles/show/249527-Meteorite-hits-moving-car-in-Sioux-City

The man claimed to hear a loud bang and glass breaking, however, there is no broken glass visible on his vehicle.
    The stone he is holding might fit the “perfect dent” on his SUV, but it looks like a common terrestrial rock–most likely chalcedony or chert; or some sort or quartzite.

12. Vin
    August 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Thanks….I’ll get onto them 😉

13. Mike
    August 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Thanks for the correction, but my point was that the Perseids are caused by comet dust, and generally dust doesn’t get through the atmosphere.

I’m not trolling, it just seemed silly to imply that the Perseids might be responsible for this questionable meteor strike. Remonds me of the story from the Skeptical Inquirer about the fellow who owned earth moving equipment and “found” a metoerite complete with crater.

14. Chew
    August 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Ooooooh. Ok, I get it now. I’m a little slow sometimes.

CSI | The Mysterious Meteorite of Chalk Mountain, Texas Heh. A little meteorite like that would have slowed to terminal velocity way up in the atmosphere and have fallen completely vertical. Hoaxers who rely on science fiction movies for their science always screw up the details.