Trailcam photo from Alberta: What is the brown furry thing?

Is it Bigfoot? (Keep reading)

WhoForted brings us the story of a new trail cam photo that appeared on Facebook.

Trail Cam From Alberta Snaps Surprisingly Clear Image of.. Bigfoot?

This image, snapped by an as of yet unnamed game trapper from Alberta, certainly appears to be a rather good snap of what looks like some kind of big primate lounging around in the forest; a far cry from the usual “blobquatch” images of blurry brown specs viewed through leaves and digital zoom. The photo is so striking, in fact, that one could easily wonder if it wasn’t actually an image of a gorilla snapped in a preserve somewhere. The woman who uploaded the photo to Facebook a few hours ago, Penny, swears that isn’t the case.

So, what do you think? Is this one of the cleanest shots of a Sasquatch since the Patterson-Gimlin film, or is it just another case of mistaken identity or intentional hoax?

Source: Who Forted?

It IS a “friend of a friend” story. We need details. We need to see other pictures before and after. We need to see the place. If the claim is made that this is Bigfoot, a LOT more authentication has to be done or else this could be a bear, a captive animal, or a hoax.

Frankly, what I see is the back of a bear. The limb to the left is the back leg and you are looking directly at the tail end. Perhaps there is a cub? But… people will see what they wish to see. You can bet this will be up for discussion. People so desperately WANT to find the evidence that will rock the world. This isn’t it.

22 comments for “Trailcam photo from Alberta: What is the brown furry thing?

1. Bill
    August 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Why is there only one photo from a bad angle to determine much of anything?

2. Kristen
    August 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

That ‘arm’ on the left looks funny to me, like part of it might be a stump or something. I agree that as soon as I saw it I thought that looked like a bear’s back leg, and that there are two animals there, because I can’t figure out how that could possibly be one single animal in that position. Well, I’m sure someone will pay ‘Penny’ enough to make it worth her trouble ;)

3. Chew
    August 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

‘Squatchie in repose’

4. Kat
    August 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

My guess is a baby bison doing some kind of face plant. LOL

5. Daran
    August 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM

How anyone could say that is a bears leg is beyond me.
    I am not saying it is bigfoot, but one thing it isn’t, is a bear

• Chew
      August 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I can kinda see it.

Imagine a bear in that orientation but with its head in a hole and its butt sticking up, with its left arm outside the hole.

• NH
        August 7, 2012 at 7:08 AM

No offense, but that sounds so like Cryptomundo, you need to stop. Is it not good enough just to say, “not enough detail, there’s no way to tell”?

• August 7, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I disagree. Cryptomundo posted this as “Best Bigfoot Photo Ever?” The point here was to say right from the start that it is NOT in any way a Bigfoot. I saw the rear of a bear and I wondered if anyone else did. I trust our readers more than the CM ones, half of which enjoy jumping to extreme conclusions.

Besides, I think there IS enough detail to tell it is NOT very mysterious and I included the obvious questions about the information provided. I included this news story because it actually is a fairly clear pictures and I suspected the Bigfoot people would jump on it because they see what they want to see.

It does appear that consensus is bear.

• Kristen
      August 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I immediately thought ‘bear’ because that would be a very reasonable thing to find on a trail cam in Alberta, as opposed to a mythical beast :)

6. Sean A.Elliott
    August 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM

As a sculptor and illustrator I have studied zoological anatomy for years. The “arm” people are seeing is without any question a leg. In my estimation the leg belongs to a bear. If this were a photo of a Sasquatch one would expect to see well defined shoulders, as described by witnesses.
    Since there is no conclusive proof of Bigfoot, and in the absence of a type specimen, it is ridiculous to claim the photo shows anything other than a known animal. I do not see anatomy consistent with a primate.

7. August 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM

How many times have we heard, “I’ve been around bears my whole life; I know a bear when I see one”?

And here again we will see that people really don’t know bears when they see them.

If people insist on seeing an abnormally protruding spine, or thick lock of hair, more power to them. I see the tail of a bear that’s leaning downward to compete or share with another bear.

8. Daran
    August 7, 2012 at 4:08 AM

OK, I edited it with a free photo editor and it is the back end of something, most likely a bear but don’t quote me on it as I have neverseen tthe back end of a near

9. August 7, 2012 at 5:43 AM

My opinion: Not a Photoshop job. Two bears, one large and facing away, the other smaller and mostly obscured by the first. The closest one has its hindquarters raised toward us, and is hunched down in it forequarters, possibly playing with its cub, or rooting for food.

What amazes me most is the total lack of anything even a little like “Bigfoot” here. What unmitigated gall of those who are presenting this as evidence of a cryptid hominid!

10. August 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I do a moderate amount of amateur wildlife photography. Why is there only the one picture? I normally take a buttload of shots of any animal, the better to get a good one amongst the not-so-good. Why do we not see other shots? (Okay, we all know why: because then you see the bear’s head…)

• August 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

(And yes, it is a trail cam. Okay: so the camera wasn’t under deliberate control. But if the animal was there for a while (depending on the setting for camera) we should get multiple shots.)

11. Lisa B.
    August 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

This photo reminds me of those pictures where you can see two things, like the faces & vases picture. one way it looks like the back of a sitting primate, another way it looks like a bear foraging with his butt in the air. I vote for bear.

12. LobsterTrouble
    August 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I would just like to take a moment to express my gratitude for this blog. I regularly visit another blog that supports the existence of Bigfoot, with a focus on the “evidence”. On said site, this photo is hotly contested. Proponents seem to be incapable or unwilling to see anything other than a Sasquatch, and lashing out seems to be the order of the day. Thank you all for your level headed comments and making this a safe, sound site.

• August 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

That makes me smile from ear to ear!

If you are talking about Bigfoot Evidence, don’t get me started. Talk about a fall off the deep end! That site is now 10 times worse than Cryptomundo in terms of credibility. It’s trash.

13. Jim Price
    August 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM

After looking at the photo for about half a second, there is no doubt I am looking at a bear’s butt. End of story.

Here’s some food for thought. Consider the tens or hundreds of thousands of photos taken on a regular basis by trail cams, many or most of them rather clear and unambiguous. Then along comes one that is clear but ambiguous. What rational or intelligent person jumps to the conclusion that it is Bigfoot? None. Only the wishful thinkers and the nut cases.

14. mxyzptlk
    August 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Pretty sure this is a bear rubbing its face on the ground — if you look closely, you can see its nose in the grass, down at the bottom-middle of the thing.

Besides, if it was any kind of primate with its back to the camera, what kind of leg is that on the right side of the photo? It looks like a broken action figure. However, if it’s a bear rubbing its face on the ground (like my dogs do), that’s its left arm holding it up.

I tried to blow up the contrast a bit to see the nose better, and noticed some writing on the photo that’s been faded out. It’s typing, and it’s in a straight horizontal line located in the open triangular space below the left-side leg (the bear’s right-rear leg). You can see it all a little better here:

15. Massachusetts
    August 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I struggled to see the bears until I went to, of all places, cryptomundo. Someone drew over the image, showing the left and right legs, tail, etc. It really brings it into focus for me. The head of the bear is on the opposite side of the body. I was trying to see it with the head on the camera side, and it wasn’t working so well for me. Still, the leg as a powerful arm and the dorsal area as a conical sagittal crest really do pop out for me unless I make an effort to understand the alternative, and probably correct, configuration. I can see why people do see a Sasquatch, but I can’t condone that they are only willing to see a Sasquatch. There are a lot of cryptomundians who do appear to subscribe to the bear theory.

16. NoOneInParticular
    August 14, 2012 at 6:57 AM

This is obviously not a genuine Bigfoot picture, since the subject is clearly missing the light-distorting field surrounding actual Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) which protects them from being captured on photographic recording devices as anything but a blurry blob.