The price of school lunch in a Louisiana district? Your soul.

You will not believe why parents in a Louisiana school district are OUTRAGED by palm scanners.

Palm scanning causing concern among Moss Bluff Elementary parents

A local elementary school is trying to implement a new program in their cafeteria. But the palm vein scanner is being met with much opposition from Moss Bluff Elementary parents.

“I was very, very mad,” said parent Mamie Sonnier. “Disappointed.”

Many parents felt that way on Monday after reading a letter sent home with their children from Moss Bluff Elementary School. The letter introduced a new program, the palm vein scanner, to move students through the lunch line at a faster rate. With almost 1,000 students, Principal Charles Caldarera says the system will reduce errors.

Sonnier says she’s against the palm vein scanner because of her beliefs.

“As a Christian, I’ve read the Bible, you know go to church and stuff,” said Sonnier. “I know where it’s going to end up coming to, the mark of the beast. I’m not going to let my kids have that.”

Tip: Fark

Seriously. This does not appear to be a spoof. This is deep south Louisiana. I hate to resort to a stereotype here, but just HOW do people who have these kinds of belief get through the day when the devil is in everything. I really do wonder how many parents feel this way.

My jaw is dropped. I just don’t know… I’m all for respecting people’s beliefs but at a certain point you just have to say when stuff is WACKADOODLE lunacy.

12 comments for “The price of school lunch in a Louisiana district? Your soul.

1. Moose McNuggets
    August 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Dude, I’ll trade you my soul for that tuna fish sandwich.

2. Adam
    August 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Sound like the kid is going to starve then. I assume when implementing the scheme the school contemplated swipe cards (which could be lost/stolen) or PINs (which could be forgotten) and decided that almost everyone has a hand so use that instead. Providing the system is protected from abuse I see no issue with it.

Anyway this crazy parent should take a look at her hand some time. Her god “marked” her with a uniquely identifiable print and all the school is doing is reading her child’s equivalent for the purpose of moving a dinner line a bit faster.

3. Crystal
    August 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I doubt there are many Christians who would think this was the mark of the beast. It’s not really any different from taking someone’s fingerprint; you’re not placing a mark on their skin, just reading what’s there. Speaking of which, why not just use fingerprint scanners?

• Ryuthrowsstuff
      August 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Certain Evangelical interpretations of Revelations, specifically around the Anti-Christ and the mark of the beast revolve around bar codes and scanners being forced on the populace by the government. Basically falls in with the whole concept that the Anti-Christ will be a charismatic political leader who takes over secular government. The mark of the beast then becomes a marking (barcode, RFID chip, I guess your palm) used as a new currency and tracking method by the government via ubiquitous scanners. One of the many weird ways eschatology in modern American Christian group ties in with wacky new world order conspiracy theory.

In other words this is sadly expected. I’ve seem similar uproar over those RFID chips you stick in your pet for identification, those tech guys who think its cool to chip themselves, even debit cards. Electronic currency and biometric ID are a huge bogeyman for these guys.

4. Thorfin
    August 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

What a maroon!
    Everbody knows the real Mark o’th Beast is them “bar codes!”

• Bob Jase
      August 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Nah, the Beast has moved on to sub-dermal microchips.

• X
      August 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Nah, despite the advances in technology, it’s still a huge “666” on the forehead.

5. Pingback: Palm of the Beast
  6. Sanitary
    August 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I’d be more worried about spreading germs from all the kids touching the palm scanner. Especially with the all those parents exempting their children from vaccines.

7. Laini
    September 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I don’t understand this story. Why does the school need a palm scanner, or anything else, for a lunch line?

“We are so large,” said Caldarera. “With an elementary school, they all come through line, and most of them eat here. It would make us more efficient and more accurate. We’ve had parents complain in the past, because they felt like their children weren’t eating, that we assigned them a charge for the day, and they might have been right.”

So, if a kid doesn’t get their hand scanned then they couldn’t have eaten and wouldn’t be charged for a meal they didn’t eat?
    The school bills the parents for each lunch?
    When I was in elementary school meals were free and later on we paid at the end of the line.

8. September 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM

As a former Born AGain Christian, I once believed that the end times would be heralded by just such technology. The Born Agains are preached to over and over the Satan will ride in on a pony of goodness, only to turn bad and condemn our souls at the end.
    This mythology persists–and is even expanded–by the prevalence of technology in the world.
    I more than pity them. Only the truth can set them free, but the road to truth is narrow and difficult for Fundamentalists.

9. Daniel
    September 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I wouldn’t be opposed to this on religious grounds (I’m an atheist), but I would be opposed to having my childrens’
    “veins pattern” put into a government database. That is ripe for abuse and is big brotherism. It’s the same reason I’m opposed to DNA databases of unconvicted persons.