Odd cloud in Indianapolis send people scrambling for camera

More evidence that humans have lost all touch with nature. This cumulonimbus cloud seemed to freak some people out.

Weird Cloud Captures Hoosiers’ Attention.

The cloud was spotted by thousands of Hoosiers who gathered to watch a fireworks display in downtown Indianapolis, and many RTV6 viewers … also said they saw the cloud.

RTV6 Meteorologist Todd Klaassen said the odd-shaped cumulonimbus cloud is often seen during thunderstorms, and that rain fell briefly in Shelby County. What made it stand out was the fact that it was the only cloud in the sky for most people.

Some RTV6 Facebook fans said they saw lightning coming from the cloud as sunset neared.

Tip: Fark.com

People quoted in the story didn’t know what to make of the cloud thinking it was from a nuclear explosion. But these are very common.

This is also known as a “thunderhead” cloud since it heralds a thunderstorm. It’s caused by the vertical uplift of warm air. When the air cools and condenses, it rains. Hard.

This one was quite spectacular:

Photo credit: Robert McCauley

Here’s a link to a slideshow of more pictures.

People, get outside more often! Nature is awesome!!!

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

6 comments for “Odd cloud in Indianapolis send people scrambling for camera

1. Paul Cheezan
    July 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

That is just a cloud

• daran
      July 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

that is the most normal looking cloud I have ever seen!
      doesn`t even have an odd shape

2. July 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Too much time spent gazing down at I-pods.

People have forgotten the sky.

3. Chris Scales
    July 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I live in Indianapolis and I saw the cloud. It was a very impressive looking cloud, more so for being the only cloud around. I am not sure if the article mentioned this, but I and most others were looking up that night because we were waiting for the city’s fireworks display to start. This really large cloud was a minor spectacle above a city that’s experiencing an awful drought.

I was on a rooftop with dozens of people and fwiw did not hear anyone speculate that the cloud was anything abnormal, just a big, weird looking cloud. There were comments on the periodic lightning within it, and some hopes expressed it would rain.

4. Vin
    July 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM

There were some hilarious comments on the linked paged, such as this gem: “The article neglects to mention that Manna was found on the ground, following the cloud’s path.
    I hated manna when I was a kid! 40 years of the stuff will drive you crazy!”

Welllll……..nuff said.

And this little doozy to:”What I thought was strange was how the cloud was lit up like the sun was behind it. But the sun was already setting in the western sky behind me so what was making this cloud so bright? It was definitely strange.”
    What was making the cloud so bright? Um…the Sun? That person has obviously forgotten that the world is round and just coz the sun has set on you, doesn’t mean that its set on the cloud. I see clouds like this all the time where I live(Far North Queensland, Australia), massive beautiful sunlit thunderheads, during the Monsoon Build-up, like a sky-full of mountain-sized silver/gold jellyfish. Also, ‘Morning Glory’ in the Gulf of Carpenteria is also a sight to behold, that would probably have a certain breed of people gnashing their teeth in fits of Bible Histrionics.

We have SOOOOO lost touch with nature…..people obviously don’t look UP anywhere near as much as they used to…its a shame, as I believe we have lost a truly special legacy….for most of Human History, the only TV was the fireplace and the latest movie was the Big Screen in the night sky…we certainly are poorer for it.

• Tintin's foil hat
      July 9, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I lived most my life in Indianapolis, Vin. The most plausible explanation for why somebody would think the cloud was being lit from behind is that there are a lot of morons living in Indianapolis.

Indeed, people from Indiana in general are pretty stupid.

And PROUD of it!