The strange new case of the Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblin

You might think this is a joke. Even if it is, it’s a fascinating story modern tale that relates to stories of grey aliens, the Kelly-Hopkinsville goblin and the Dover Demon along with some twists, turns, tracks and a task force. This is a must read piece for all who are interested in the paranormal and cryptozoology. Greg Newkirk at WhoForted? details a mystery case worthy of the Scooby Doo gang. Check it out!

Have the Kentucky Goblins Returned? Exclusive Photos!

Two months ago, I received an email at an account belonging to my long defunct ghost hunting outfit by the name of Ghost Hunters, Incorporated.

This email was a plea for help.

For the past 6 months I have been living in a rural home located on the border of West Virginia and Kentucky where my family is nightly assaulted by creatures that I have come to believe are of an extraterrestrial origin. These beings appear to be the size and stature of a small child, devoid of any facial features save for large, oily eyes and lipless mouths. They frighten my children by peering through their bedroom windows, chirping at one another. They actively attempt to enter my home in the middle of the night. Last month they took my dog. The police refuse to provide any further assistance, attributing the problems to wild animals and forwarding my complaints to the state game commission.

I believe they are coming from an abandoned mine located on the edge of my property. Though I’m armed, I’m afraid that I’m far too frightened to enter the mine by my lonesome, and cannot convince any sympathetic friends to accompany me, though I cannot blame them.

Who is this guy? Why would he email a ghost hunting group for a space alien problem? […] Why would space faring beings be living in a cave? Is blowing up an abandoned mine shaft even legal? And of course, the question anyone with a passing interest in the paranormal was asking themselves: what if he’s telling the truth?

Small, child-size creatures? Check. Terror-stricken family? Check. Desolate property in rural Kentucky? Check. It all sounds very familiar.

Check out the rest of the story at the link above. You will want to read the whole thing because it is weird. And also, there is some evidence provided.

Here is picture of tracks and the creature that supposedly made them.

Three toed trackway. (with permission from WhoForted)

Creature (with permission from WhoForted)

Yeah, quite the tale. No matter what you think, it’s intriguing. I can’t wait for the Alien Task Force team to take a trip there to find out more! I’m feeling a new film project, Greg. Run to Kickstarter and beg for funds.

[Note: The WhoForted? and GHI folks are honest-to-goodness awesome people who have seen both sides of the paranormal scene, finding some common ground with believers and skeptics. You can read more about my trip to meet them here.]

17 comments for “The strange new case of the Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblin

1. spookyparadigm
    June 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I’m going to concur with Bruce Piddy’s comment at the link, that this is relevant (the whole thing over correspondence, the cabin besieged by fairies/aliens, the emphasis on the dog, the footprints and photos thereof, the subterranean base), and by extension Machen as Bruce note. I know I sound like broken record sometimes on this issue, but this time, I feel more than justified.

2. Massachusetts
    June 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I skimmed the article earlier today but it reminded me a bit of a Lovecraft story I read, where a guy was holed up in the Maine woods with dogs and was being harassed by alien creatures every night. He started losing dogs and eventually…well, I don’t want to spoil anything.

• spookyparadigm
      June 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM

See above link.

• Massachusetts
        June 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Sorry, I didn’t notice your link. Funny though, it was the first thing that popped into my mind!

• spookyparadigm
      June 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM

And the story was just recently made into a movie (not bad, though the second half, which sort of completes the more fragmentary original story, is disappointing. But still worth checking out if you are a fan of the story, or of mid-20th century horror films, as it is filmed somewhat in this style, though not as convincingly as their previous effort turning The Call of Cthulhu into a silent film).

I’ve made the case before that this same story is a strong influence on Men in Black folklore, particularly on Gray Barker. But this is even closer to the original tale than that (Whisperer in Darkness also vaguely reminds me of the set up for Communion, though I suspect that may be more coincidence than anything else).

• Massachusetts
        June 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Very interesting observations! I hadn’t thought of the Men in Black connection. I’ll have to check out that movie! The story was great, though I found the main character headslappingly naive (is that a new adverb? :) Lovecraft’s like that though–very creepy setup and scenarios, with goofyness thrown in to boot.

• spookyparadigm
          June 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

The naivete is left intact, but the protagonist is more action-oriented rather than the usual fainting or flight into the night.

• spookyparadigm
          June 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

The movie will be available on Amazon in about a month, but it has been available direct from the producers (the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society) since December. I wouldn’t normally plug, but they do awesome stuff. AND to keep this more on topic, the film includes as far as I know, the only dramatic presentation of Charles Fort as a character (and one true to the character in spirit, more or less), pretty much anywhere

3. June 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Fascinating. So do you guys think this informant is taking Greg for a ride or not realizing?

• June 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Riding like a messed up camel on a Hunter Thompson adventure.

• spookyparadigm
      June 21, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I’d be shocked if it isn’t a knowing prank (I’d hesitate to call it a hoax, though more on that in a sec). Not only is the story very pastiche, so is the medium. The story linked above is not only very close to the plot and details here, but is also a near ideal of this kind of story: the epistolary narrative of creeping doom, a series of letters each portending more and more, and hinting at more that even the letter’s fictional author doesn’t quite see but the reader of the tale does (Lovecraft-style stories thrive on the unreliable narrator, not so much because they’re crazy or mentally unstable, but because they only see the horror they have gotten themselves into long after the reader does, it’s the “don’t open that door!” effect).

While Lovecraft hated real hoaxes, and in fact felt guilty near the end of his life as his creations took on a life of their own (especially the Necronomicon, which was already fakelore becoming folklore before his death), I think this quote is quite important.

“No weird story can truly produce terror unless it is devised with all the care and verisimilitude of an actual hoax.”

4. June 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Riding all the way,

• Massachusetts
      June 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I’d find it hard to believe he wouldn’t realize.

5. June 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Oh I’m totally being taken for a ride, but that doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying it. My only question is: why? I mean, this dude didn’t send the email to Who Forted. He sent it to a ghost hunting website where every member still looks like a teenager. Hasn’t been updated in years. Maybe I just answered my question.

• spookyparadigm
      June 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I don’t know if this will help, but how it might look from the other side

• Ryuthrowsstuff
        June 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

That’s what I’ve been trying to suss out. You guys aren’t hard line believers, so its unlikely they’re trying to embarrass you. Neither are you dismissive cynics so they can’t be trying to troll you. You’re not particularly prominent on either end so a grab for attention/money seems unlikely. The similarity to past sitings, Lovecraft, and the out and out quality of the writing in the account make me think these might just be some creative types looking for a laugh. That makes whoforted a good target, and tracking down an old, questionable email/ghost hunting connection plays into the back story.

6. June 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I personally think the story is funny. Doesn’t seem that creative.